Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Free flight changes June 19-21 for PHX afternoon arrivals/departures

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Free flight changes June 19-21 for PHX afternoon arrivals/departures

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19, 2017, 4:02 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Damn...I have a flight that is supposed to land there at 7PM Wednesday. Projected to be 118 degrees. How flexible are they on the 6PM bit? I'd happily fly Thursday morning if that's permitted. Just have a noon meeting I need to be at, and don't want to be in a situation where the evening flights are taking on ever-increasing delays through the afternoon.
Old Jun 19, 2017, 5:38 pm
Original Poster
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Diamond, IC Amb
Uh oh.....

The RJ flights have been cancelled!

https://usat.ly/2tlKxOF

I used the free flight change to change from an RJ to an earlier A320 flight. ^^
Old Jun 19, 2017, 7:47 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Many Facebook friends are posting about the warm weather at PHX. One posted this:
http://www.abc15.com/news/region-pho...harbor-airport

Heads up, travelers! If you’re planning on escaping the hot weather this week, the excessive heat may affect your schedule.

On Monday afternoon, American Airlines said 50 flights have had to be canceled on Monday and Tuesday due to the dangerously hot temperatures.

The heat is impacting regional American Airlines flights, operated by Mesa Airlines and SkyWest Airlines.

According to American Airlines, the maximum operating temperature for each aircraft is based on manufacturer data:

• Airbus: 127 degrees
• Boeing: 126 degrees
• Bombardier CRJ regional aircraft: 118 degrees
Old Jun 20, 2017, 10:50 am

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Amb
Any word on compensation for those of us caught by this?

I was supposed to fly DFW-PHX-TUS yesterday (8:55 AM departure from DFW followed by a 10:17 AM departure from PHX so I figured I was fine) but the flight out of DFW was delayed by two hours due to lack of a pilot and co-pilot. When I got to PHX the connecting flight had been delayed until after 2:00 (they said the plane could't get in from El Paso) but that was eventually cancelled due to the heat, as was the next flight out.

So, I just cancelled that leg, changed my rental pick up to PHX, and made the drive.

Has anyone reached out to AA yet, and if so what are you getting in terms of compensation? Or is this an "it's weather, suck it up buttercup".
Old Jun 20, 2017, 11:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
I have a 1:50 flight tomorrow phx-lgb. I should be good...

We don't get our hottest temp here until 5 or 6 PM.
Old Jun 20, 2017, 11:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by TheJeff

Has anyone reached out to AA yet, and if so what are you getting in terms of compensation? Or is this an "it's weather, suck it up buttercup".
I would fully expect this to be a "it's weather" event, especially as they were offering waivers in advance. If a plane can't fly due to heat, it's not something AA can control.
Old Jun 20, 2017, 11:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

FWIW on CNN this morning Chad Meyers said this problem only affects the RJ's, not mainline.
Old Jun 20, 2017, 11:29 am

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Amb
Originally Posted by enviroian
FWIW on CNN this morning Chad Meyers said this problem only affects the RJ's, not mainline.
I overheard the pilots and FA's talking yesterday and it sounded like Bombardier set a max operating temperature of either 114 or 117 (I forget which) for the CRJ-900 I was sitting on before the flight was cancelled.

That may explain why they are cancelling those but not the A-321/B-737 flights.
Old Jun 20, 2017, 12:47 pm
Original Poster
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Diamond, IC Amb
Originally Posted by TheJeff
I overheard the pilots and FA's talking yesterday and it sounded like Bombardier set a max operating temperature of either 114 or 117 (I forget which) for the CRJ-900 I was sitting on before the flight was cancelled.

That may explain why they are cancelling those but not the A-321/B-737 flights.
This was in posts 32 & 33 right above this post.
Old Jun 20, 2017, 12:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I called AA and they said no worries since my flight is outside of the 3-6 PM window but nonetheless I asked to be protected on the mainline flight to lax that leaves at the same time as my lgb flight at 1:50. No can do she says.
Old Jun 20, 2017, 1:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I called AA and they said no worries since my flight is outside of the 3-6 PM window but nonetheless I asked to be protected on the mainline flight to lax that leaves at the same time as my lgb flight at 1:50. No can do she says.
What a crappy airline.

Their defense will be that it's currently only 112 and the forecast for 2 pm is just 117, so that leaves a one degree margin for your 1:50 pm flight.
Old Jun 20, 2017, 1:12 pm

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by wrp96
I would fully expect this to be a "it's weather" event, especially as they were offering waivers in advance.
Well, it *is* weather, I guess. Weather + the operating limits of the aircraft. One could argue that it's not that much different than how airplanes can't fly through ice storms or hurricanes.

So kudos to AA for the proactive waivers, although the Travel Alert seems to be gone now. For those whose flights were canceled, unfortunately it's probably going to be just like any other WX.
Old Jun 20, 2017, 1:18 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Formerly Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by FWAAA
What a crappy airline.

Their defense will be that it's currently only 112 and the forecast for 2 pm is just 117, so that leaves a one degree margin for your 1:50 pm flight.
That's just how AA operates. I have this issue all the time with inbound flights being late but the subsequent(my) flight still showing on time/or rolling 10 minute delays that will cause me to miss my connection.

Until it's actually delayed or there is a delay/cancellation, AA won't be proactive.
Old Jun 20, 2017, 1:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FWAAA
What a crappy airline.

She told me she can't protect me on a flight that leaves at the same time but "don't worry there are plenty of open seats"

HUCA??
Old Jun 20, 2017, 1:47 pm

She told me she can't protect me on a flight that leaves at the same time but "don't worry there are plenty of open seats"

HUCA??
Agree it should be easy to just protect you on the flight, but it does seem that if your LGB flight goes pear-shaped, you'll get onto the LAX one without any trouble.

HUACA I guess, although it probably doesn't matter either way.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.