Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Free flight changes June 19-21 for PHX afternoon arrivals/departures

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Free flight changes June 19-21 for PHX afternoon arrivals/departures

Search this Thread

Old Jun 17, 2017, 11:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kevin AA
Why would the heat affect flight operations? I think it takes a longer distance to take off if the temperature is higher, and if the humidity is lower, but so what, PHX has long runways.
Among the limiting factors are tire speed ratings - even if you had a 12 mile runway, the speed required for takeoff at 122 F might exceed the tires' speed rating. Here's a Boeing article discussing the issue:

http://www.boeing.com/commercial/aer...icle_04_1.html

The other issue facing AA is the very real risk of ground employee heat exhaustion/heat stroke at temperatures exceeding 120 F.
Old Jun 17, 2017, 11:44 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, HH Diamond, National Executive
Originally Posted by FWAAA
Among the limiting factors are tire speed ratings - even if you had a 12 mile runway, the speed required for takeoff at 122 F might exceed the tires' speed rating. Here's a Boeing article discussing the issue:

http://www.boeing.com/commercial/aer...icle_04_1.html

The other issue facing AA is the very real risk of ground employee heat exhaustion/heat stroke at temperatures exceeding 120 F.

I actually think your point about employees on the ground is most relevant. If the temperature is 120 as they are forecasting I have to assume it feels more like 145 when you take into account the heat from the concrete and the planes themselves.

Im heading out of town Monday morning so glad I'll miss this. I can handle anything 110 or below with ease but once it's above that it's tough!
Old Jun 18, 2017, 3:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Gig103
120 is going to suck next week... But 95 and 90% humidity in Singapore was WAY worse. I was dripping, it was awful.
Im heat intolerant, guess where work has sent me most of the last year? I may be from SAT. Howevere SAT only has problems normally one month or two out of a year and is far enough inland from thr Gulf. I take vacation tp NZ/AUSTRALIA during August for a reason.
Old Jun 18, 2017, 8:57 am

Programs: DL SM, AAdvantage, SPG
Originally Posted by Kevin AA
Why would the heat affect flight operations? I think it takes a longer distance to take off if the temperature is higher, and if the humidity is lower, but so what, PHX has long runways.
In addition to what others mentioned, drier air is actually more dense than moist air.

Since water vapor makes up such a small percentage of air, it has a lot less of an impact on air density than temperature though.
Old Jun 18, 2017, 12:00 pm

Programs: AA Gold, WN A+ & CP, HH Diamond, Hyatt Platinum, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by JonNYC
Dry, though, right?
It has to be to get that hot in Phoenix. Humidity is forecast to be about 7-9%.
Originally Posted by apodo77
I lived in PHX for 2 years and it spanned 3 Summers.
The whole "it's a dry heat" is such a crock. Once it is 110 it is just freaking hot. It's like putting the blowdryer on medium and blowing it on your face all day.
It is hot but there is a vast difference in how it feels compared to somewhere that has much higher humidity. In high humidity locations it's very common to have the heat index higher than the actual temperature. In Phoenix when it is this dry, the heat index can actually be below the actual temperature because any moisture coming out of your body evaporates so quickly.
Old Jun 18, 2017, 12:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by justhere
It has to be to get that hot in Phoenix. Humidity is forecast to be about 7-9%.

It is hot but there is a vast difference in how it feels compared to somewhere that has much higher humidity. In high humidity locations it's very common to have the heat index higher than the actual temperature. In Phoenix when it is this dry, the heat index can actually be below the actual temperature because any moisture coming out of your body evaporates so quickly.
Exactly. Plus when you go into the shade here in Phoenix the temperature change is instant and dramatic. This doesn't happen in humid climates. That muggy air doesn't care if it's shady or not
Old Jun 18, 2017, 12:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I've got a Wednesday mid afternoon flight phx-lgb. I wonder if RJ's are affected by this too.
Old Jun 18, 2017, 1:33 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Enterprise PLT, Marriott Gold
I would routinely get fantastic golf rates in Scottsdale during the summer in my visits there because nobody local was crazy enough to go play 18 in 110 degrees.

I tried telling them over here on the East Coast, 90deg and 90% humidity is so much worse, but they don't seem to believe me.

Heck yesterday I was near Cleveland helping a friend move and it was 88 and humid, so much worse to me. You are just so sticky and sweaty, it's awful!
Old Jun 18, 2017, 2:14 pm

Programs: BA (GGL G4L), AA (Gold), HH (Diamond); Marriott (Gold)
Originally Posted by enviroian
I've got a Wednesday mid afternoon flight phx-lgb. I wonder if RJ's are affected by this too.
Smaller aircraft are generally impacted more in this scenario, and will often be weight restricted.
Old Jun 18, 2017, 2:25 pm

Programs: LT Plt, 4mm, *A GLD, burned out medical provider, executing our estate plan
Originally Posted by flyerCO
Im heat intolerant, guess where work has sent me most of the last year? I may be from SAT. Howevere SAT only has problems normally one month or two out of a year and is far enough inland from thr Gulf. I take vacation tp NZ/AUSTRALIA during August for a reason.
Same for ATX. Half the city leaves in August. The traffic is much better. We hop around a bit each year, Sweden and Iceland this August.
Old Jun 18, 2017, 3:27 pm

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Gold/MM, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by boerne
Same for ATX. Half the city leaves in August. The traffic is much better. We hop around a bit each year, Sweden and Iceland this August.
Same here. But these days it seems harder to escape the heat even that way. We went to north of the Arctic Circle in Norway (Tromso) last August and the temps were in the high 70s. The problem there is nothing is air conditioned.

The PHX temps do sound like a nightmare for the workers. There will be some very hot planes at the gates as well. Not all of AA's planes, especially the older ones, cool very well. There will probably be some delays and cancellations for that reason alone.
Old Jun 18, 2017, 3:38 pm

Programs: AA LT GLD 1MM
I think it has more to do with the max certified temperatures for the planes, not necessarily performance.

IIRC it's 118 degrees where some planes are no longer legal to take off. I think RJ's.
Old Jun 18, 2017, 3:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
Originally Posted by AZbba
I think it has more to do with the max certified temperatures for the planes, not necessarily performance.
It's both. There are some aircraft for which performance data is not calculated beyond 50C (122F). And some aircraft may hit WAT (weight, altitude, temperature) limits at much lower temperatures depending on other factors. Don't assume that the same factor is always the constraint. Different factors will be the controlling one in different conditions. Tire speed, as pointed out above by FWAAA, is one. Maximum brake energy is another. A rejected takeoff at high speed makes for very hot brakes. Very hot brakes can cause fires.
Old Jun 18, 2017, 4:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Originally Posted by enviroian
Yes, the impact of temperature, air density, wing lift, affects RJ's. The equations of Boyle, Charles, Bernoulli, etc., don't have aircraft type as a variable

The note above it good. Here's an example of calculating takeoff distance https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IY0EOnarOCI. Note that the temperature scale only goes to 40C. Above that, you're not allowed to takeoff as the manufacturer has not provided data for your conditions. Manufacturers will sell extended temperature performance charts, but some airlines don't pay for them for some aircraft type. At that point, you just need to wait.

Last edited by CPRich; Jun 18, 2017 at 4:24 pm
Old Jun 19, 2017, 11:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I noticed today this isn't on their travel alert page on their website, only a waiver/alert for NE Storms.

Perhaps it's been lifted?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.