Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA2074 PHL-LGA, seating options for landing at LGA

Old Jun 14, 17, 7:11 pm
Original Poster

Programs: LatamPass Gold, SAS EBB, M&M

I'll be flying from PHL to LGA in August, and I would like to take nice pictures of Manhattan during landing. Now I have an A seat at the back of the plane as it seems that in most cases the view on the left is better, but I've tracked the flight on flightradar24 for some time and I noticed that it often runs up the Hudson River, which gives better views on the right. It could be that this approach is more common for evening flights in general, so maybe I should change into an F seat. I realize that it's not predictable, and that it depends on the wind, traffic, etc, and that there are a lot of threads on "Which Side of the Plane to Sit for Views of NYC when Landing" (for example this one Which Side of the Plane to Sit for Views of NYC when Landing / Taking Off at LGA), but I am curious about this particular flight. At the moment there are a lot of seats available, and fares on this flight are often lower than on other flights to NYC when connecting from international flights at PHL. So maybe this flight doesn't get heavily booked in general and perhaps it would be possible to swap seats before landing to get a better view? Thanks.
Old Jun 14, 17, 7:34 pm

Programs: DL PM; AA 1MM
I can't speak to the specific flight, but I think you will find it to be more day/time specific (based on winds weather) rather than varying by a specific flight on a given day. You are right that you are playing the lottery, but I've found A seats (at least on my flights) to have better odds than F seats, though it's a mixed bag to be sure.

Good luck!
Old Jun 14, 17, 8:05 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, TAP, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, and The Suggestion Box

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Specific flights or airlines don't govern flight patterns used; prevailing winds do. Please follow the topic in the thread linked to; it's the best one to discuss this. It may be weather and flight tracker pages might give you better information than a flight number.

Your flight might have utilization information about high use / less seat selection, but I'm not sure how you'd get that information.

Good luck.

Last edited by JDiver; Jun 16, 17 at 12:13 pm
Old Jun 17, 17, 12:57 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1.2mm, Kimpton IC, Starwood Gold, Marriott Gold
There's no way to predict the winds more than a few days in advance.

Check the flight patterns into LGA before your flight boards (using Flightradar24 or similar) and you want to change to seat on the correct side for a Manhattan view.
Old Jun 17, 17, 12:59 pm

Programs: DL PM; AA 1MM
Originally Posted by SJC AA View Post
Check the flight patterns into LGA before your flight boards (using Flightradar24 or similar) and you want to change to seat on the correct side for a Manhattan view.
^

Good suggestion. While not fool-proof, this could help the OP increase odds.
Old Jun 17, 17, 3:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: LatamPass Gold, SAS EBB, M&M
Thanks. I was also thinking about checking flightaware, which posts flight patterns in advance though I am not sure how reliable they are.

I also hope that this flight will not be very full, so that it will be possible to change my seat before landing if necessary. I am actually wondering whether there are many passengers taking this evening flight from PHL to LGA. It seems to me that most passengers from the NYC area would prefer taking direct flights rather than connect at PHL. Perhaps AA uses this flight mainly to position the aircraft - after landing at LGA, it is normally used for a morning LGA-BOS flight.
Old Jun 17, 17, 4:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by krzysz View Post
I am actually wondering whether there are many passengers taking this evening flight from PHL to LGA. It seems to me that most passengers from the NYC area would prefer taking direct flights rather than connect at PHL.
Don't forget that the Port Authority's "perimeter rule" (and the lack of a U.S. Customs and Immigration facility at LGA for commercial flights) limits the cities than can have nonstop service into LGA. PHL has service to and from a number of domestic and international airports that LGA (and JFK) lack.
Old Jun 20, 17, 12:31 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1.2mm, Kimpton IC, Starwood Gold, Marriott Gold
Thanks. I was also thinking about checking flightaware, which posts flight patterns in advance though I am not sure how reliable they are.
Look at flights that have recently landed; those will be very accurate. Not the filed flight route for your own flight.

I am actually wondering whether there are many passengers taking this evening flight from PHL to LGA. It seems to me that most passengers from the NYC area would prefer taking direct flights rather than connect at PHL. Perhaps AA uses this flight mainly to position the aircraft - after landing at LGA, it is normally used for a morning LGA-BOS flight.
In my experience this flight is not crowded. It's only for passengers connecting at PHL to destinations not served nonstop from NYC.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: