Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

speedy turnaround preparation for outbound question

Old Jun 14, 17, 9:01 am
nrr
Original Poster

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond

When the inbound is on time boarding begins at T-30.
When an inbound is delayed things are different:
I was flying on 1003 (LAS-JFK), inbound was 211 (JFK-LAS) which arrived at gate at 10:58 pm (instead of 9:15 pm), they had to deplane pax, clean plane, yet boarding began at 11:20 pm--they must have a large cleaning crew to prep. a 737?
Old Jun 14, 17, 2:12 pm

Programs: AA EP, UA Gold-MM, UA 1K (former), GS (former),SPG LT Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by nrr View Post
When the inbound is on time boarding begins at T-30.
When an inbound is delayed things are different:
I was flying on 1003 (LAS-JFK), inbound was 211 (JFK-LAS) which arrived at gate at 10:58 pm (instead of 9:15 pm), they had to deplane pax, clean plane, yet boarding began at 11:20 pm--they must have a large cleaning crew to prep. a 737?
I think you just got lucky. When a plane is late it seems to me that all turn time metrics go out the window.
Old Jun 14, 17, 11:43 pm

Programs: AA lt gold, HH Diamond, marriott pl
Pretty sure that not very much cleaning took place on that plane before boarding started. Don't know for sure but many flights are designated as "flight attendant clean"... no cleaning crew involved only the inbound flight attendants.
Old Jun 15, 17, 5:17 am

Programs: AA EXP, CX GR, AS MVP GLD
Are AA planes "cleaned" at all? I feel that most flights are scheduled back to back with minimal turnaround time (like 40 minutes) and sometimes flights go overnight in an outport. Sometimes I find boarding passes in the seat pockets that are a month old.
Maybe they only pick up the visible trash, replace the trash bags in the lavatories and that's it? I never feel that my seat has been properly cleaned.
Old Jun 15, 17, 6:21 am

Programs: AA EXP, LT Plt, 4mm, *A Silver, Free Agent
Virtually all of my flying starts non-hub, and I would say "cleaning" is pretty limited any time. As many other posts have noted, the turn around time is very important to keep OTD in line and some things go out the window. Thus the countless posts on earlier than scheduled boarding starts and lack of notification. Also clean planes? Not... post from 2014 but still holds true

http://www.bbc.com/future/story/2015...an-an-airliner
Old Jun 15, 17, 7:27 am
nrr
Original Poster

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
"Cleaning" could be just removing trash.
On flights in the USA, I've never actually seen a "cleaning-agent", they must leave the plane via the tarmac.
But on flights from ZRH-JFK, the cleaning crew leaves via the terminal, I recollect seeing as many as 4 or 5 of them.
Old Jun 15, 17, 8:17 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, TAP, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, and The Suggestion Box

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by nrr View Post
"Cleaning" could be just removing trash.
On flights in the USA, I've never actually seen a "cleaning-agent", they must leave the plane via the tarmac.
But on flights from ZRH-JFK, the cleaning crew leaves via the terminal, I recollect seeing as many as 4 or 5 of them.
In many airports these employees access the aircraft via the external ladder attached to the jetway. Arriving international aircraft seem to get cleaned fairly well; I'm not so sure about domestic aircraft getting more than cursory cleaning at connection points. On those cabin cleaning seems to occur at overnight locations.

But AA isn't very good at cleaning imo. Southwest manages speedier turnarounds, and iirc WN cabin crews themselves are responsible for basic cabin grooming, as per their union agreements. AA union agreements prevent this from occurring in AA cabins.

(Mod hat on: a reminder that we don't discuss union's, pro- or anti-, beyond factual information like the above, because there's a history of such rapidly going into OMNI discussion.)
Old Jun 15, 17, 10:23 am

Programs: US CP, UA *G; SPG Plat, Hilton Gold; Natl Exec, Hertz PC
Keep in mind that the cleaners board the plane before all passengers are deplaned; but yes, the cleaning is fairly cursory.

IMO your experience is not the norm. I use the rule that AA does not board until >30 minutes after the incoming flight lands. However, recently the AC made an announcement that the flight was ready to board at the 15 minute mark; and indeed boarding was underway when I arrived at the 20 minute mark.

The AC agent claimed they can deplane and be ready to board in 12 minutes (737 or MD80, can't recall). I think the stars have to align for that to happen - e.g., no stragglers waiting for strollers or wheelchair assistance; exceptionally quick cleaners; and the same crew operating both flights.
Old Jun 15, 17, 2:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by flightrisk View Post
The AC agent claimed they can deplane and be ready to board in 12 minutes (737 or MD80, can't recall). I think the stars have to align for that to happen - e.g., no stragglers waiting for strollers or wheelchair assistance; exceptionally quick cleaners; and the same crew operating both flights.
Yeah, I really find that difficult to believe. Often times it takes 5 minutes just to attach the boarding bridge, or more depending on the intelligence level of the GA.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: