Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Live TV On American Airlines Flights

Search this Thread

Old Dec 30, 2018, 1:44 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Bonvoy Ambassador, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
You may not be familiar with the different Gogo systems that are installed on commercial aircraft.

Gogo ATG, as in Air To Ground - god-awful slow

ATG-4 - just slow

Satellite Ku, as been installed in a lot of AA and DL long-haul aircraft - tough to call it broadband, and both carriers prohibit video streaming, IIRC

Satellite 2Ku - not too bad, actually, if you can live with the latency. I've seen about 12 Mbps down. DL has more than 400 narrowbodies with 2Ku; I've stopped counting.

Some TV on Gogo 2Ku systems actually is IPTV, not a satellite TV capture. The number of channels (and resolution) is very bandwidth-dependent. https://www.gogoair.com/learning-cen...ve-tv-service/
Thanks for the rundown, but if I read you correctly, no AA aircraft with GoGo systems can stream video. So....
Old Jan 1, 2019, 10:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Originally Posted by HLCinCOU
Not sure why we resurrected this 6-month-dead thread when the Open is long done, but what the hey...
Um, because the title of the thread is "Live TV on American Airlines Flights?" @:-)
Old Jan 1, 2019, 10:43 am

Programs: DL PLAT and 2MM;AA EXP;MR GOLD;PC Gold
Be prepared to miss the winning putt

I mainly fly international and the signal comes and goes for varying durations. It really stands out as NO SIGNAL as you near the US from Europe. So take a valium, relax, and set your expectations low. Just my personal observstions, but from numerous flights.
Old Jan 1, 2019, 11:45 am

Programs: US Gold
I had live TV all the way across the Atlantic on December 17 14:35 flight LHR-PHL.
I don't want to have to stream their IFE onto my device. I want it on their device so I can use my device for other things.

wg
TXguy and AANYC1981 like this.
Old Jan 1, 2019, 3:03 pm

Programs: DL PM
Originally Posted by wendyg
I had live TV all the way across the Atlantic on December 17 14:35 flight LHR-PHL.
I don't want to have to stream their IFE onto my device. I want it on their device so I can use my device for other things.

wg
Exactly!
Old Jan 1, 2019, 5:13 pm

Programs: AA Ex Platinum & 1MM, DL PLT, Marriott Gold, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by seigex
I had live tv on a 772 (N780AN DFW-NRT), but it was only CNN, BBC News, another news channel I can't remember, and a Sports channel. We had Panasonic internet on the plane. It was disappointing.
Am on AA 692 PHX-HNL right now & that’s what we have & it’s awful. I’ve actually written & asked for a refund on the cost of this flight pass since the WiFi has been so bad-worse than air to ground Gogo & I didn’t think that was possible.
TXguy likes this.
Old Jan 1, 2019, 5:20 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by txrus

Am on AA 692 PHX-HNL right now & that’s what we have & it’s awful. I’ve actually written & asked for a refund on the cost of this flight pass since the WiFi has been so bad-worse than air to ground Gogo & I didn’t think that was possible.
I didn't even get it on the return flight, was essentially useless most of the flight for anything other than messaging.
TXguy likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.