Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: Companion upgrade issues including "link" / split PNR, etc. (<20 May 2017)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 9, 2017, 12:20 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
This thread contains posts made prior to new upgrade and companion policies introduced 20 May 2017.

For the current thread, please see Companion upgrade issues including "link" / split PNR for status etc. (master thread)
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: Companion upgrade issues including "link" / split PNR, etc. (<20 May 2017)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 14, 2013, 4:35 pm

Yeah, that does sound like an odd reason. I'd understand if you'd have to be on a revenue ticket. If it's already booked, why not just call EXP desk, ask them to link and put him on the upgrade list? If they say they can't, they probably can't. You may have some luck at the airport, but again, don't count on it.
Old Dec 14, 2013, 4:50 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by djibouti
Yeah, that does sound like an odd reason. I'd understand if you'd have to be on a revenue ticket. If it's already booked, why not just call EXP desk, ask them to link and put him on the upgrade list? If they say they can't, they probably can't. You may have some luck at the airport, but again, don't count on it.
The Twitter team explains to me that the idea of companion upgrade is we both can get upgrade to the same cabin. Since I cannot get upgraded, he can't either..

The explanation sounds reasonable, but I will try EXP line anyway Thanks!
Old Dec 14, 2013, 5:05 pm

Originally Posted by keepssmile
The Twitter team explains to me that the idea of companion upgrade is we both can get upgrade to the same cabin. Since I cannot get upgraded, he can't either..

That explanation makes more sense than a "higher" fare.
Old Dec 14, 2013, 7:43 pm

Originally Posted by keepssmile

This explanation is correct. The point of the companion fare is so that the elite can sit with his companion without giving up the upgrade benefit. In the airline's view, this is a benefit for the elite and the elite only (makes the elite's flight more comfortable if he can sit next to his companion)
Old Dec 15, 2013, 12:27 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA GS, SPG Plat
I know this is a simple question but one I am still not clear about:

I am EXP. I am flying with my wife next week who has no status. I linked the records and requested the upgrades. It just hit the 100 hour mark and we both got upgrade. Great. I notice however that no e500 certificates where taken out of my account for her portion of the upgrade. Is there anything that I need to do to make sure that AA attempts to take the stickers out of my account rather than my wife's account (wife has no stickers)? Do the stickers only leave my account when we check in?

Thanks@
Old Dec 15, 2013, 12:55 pm

They only leave when you board. If they let you check in online then you're fine. If not, check in at the airport with an agent and make sure they are drawing from your account.
Old Dec 15, 2013, 1:17 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA PLT (fmr CK), SPG Platinum, Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by rikramer
I know this is a simple question but one I am still not clear about:

I am EXP. I am flying with my wife next week who has no status. I linked the records and requested the upgrades. It just hit the 100 hour mark and we both got upgrade. Great. I notice however that no e500 certificates where taken out of my account for her portion of the upgrade. Is there anything that I need to do to make sure that AA attempts to take the stickers out of my account rather than my wife's account (wife has no stickers)? Do the stickers only leave my account when we check in?

Thanks@
I have never had a problem in your exact scenario - stickers always come out of my account when I am upgrading a non-status companion. This should be the default practice, however, you could also ask the GA to be 100% certain. It would be bound to come up anyway if they were trying to make you pay for the stickers...

If a companion has GLD/PLT status, that is when you might run into some issues (since I think the default would be for the stickers to be removed from their account). However, not an issue in your circumstance.
Old Dec 21, 2013, 11:25 am

Programs: AA EXP, LT PLT 2.6MM, HHonors Lifetime Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by sk3x
I have never had a problem in your exact scenario - stickers always come out of my account when I am upgrading a non-status companion. This should be the default practice, however, you could also ask the GA to be 100% certain. It would be bound to come up anyway if they were trying to make you pay for the stickers...
Same experience here. Always out of my account for non-status.

Originally Posted by sk3x
If a companion has GLD/PLT status, that is when you might run into some issues (since I think the default would be for the stickers to be removed from their account). However, not an issue in your circumstance.
I've had mixed results on this without explanation. Sometimes they come out of my account, but more frequently they seem to come out of the status companions'.
Old Jan 17, 2014, 2:40 pm

Programs: UAL, AA, AS, CX
Web/App Solution for Linking Companions for Upgrades

Why cant AA make it easier for companions on separate PNRs? Give us a web tool so we can link each other ourselves instead of calling
Old Jan 20, 2014, 8:21 am

Programs: AA ExPlat (2MM), Marriott LT Titanium
Question Complicated Situation

So I read this entire thread and am a reasonably savvy EXP but I have a scenario I'd like some advice on.

I'm booked with my wife (Plat) and 3 friends on the same itinerary (single PNR for all 5 pax). Given the number of pax on single PNR, booking online did not allow me to request an upgrade at booking - it says N/A. Makes sense to me.

Ideal scenario - I would like to upgrade me and my wife but retain status for the the 3 remaining non-status companions (for purpose of free checked bags, keeping their seat assignments, etc.).

Question: Is this possible and how to do I accomplish it? Obviously I can (and will at some point) call the EXP line and work with them but seems that reading the thread - some agents (even EXP ones) have either given inaccurate advice and/or done things that did not result in the desired effect for some pax.

Thoughts or experiences?
Old Jan 20, 2014, 9:38 am

Originally Posted by cphurley
Ideal scenario - I would like to upgrade me and my wife but retain status for the the 3 remaining non-status companions (for purpose of free checked bags, keeping their seat assignments, etc.).

Question: Is this possible and how to do I accomplish it? Obviously I can (and will at some point) call the EXP line and work with them but seems that reading the thread - some agents (even EXP ones) have either given inaccurate advice and/or done things that did not result in the desired effect for some pax.

Thoughts or experiences?
I've done exactly this just last month.
We were 3 booked on a single PNR and I had us split (2 one one PNR and the other on a different one). On the return we were split again with all on seperate PNR's.

All seat assignments are retained and the non status passenger could change his seat to other MCE seats online with no problems. However, once split, the non status pax can not choose seats reserved for elite and full fare customers (seats with the white triangle in the top left corner). If you want to switch/choose seats after the split (for elite seats for example) you can simply call AA and they'll sort it out for you. If an agent is difficult about it, you can simply HUCA.

At the airport, we all got the extra benefits expected, including extra luggage and Priority AAccess.
I've heard that some agents are sometimes difficult about this, but I did not encounter any issues.
Old Jan 20, 2014, 10:17 am

Originally Posted by Djokison
I've done exactly this just last month.
We were 3 booked on a single PNR and I had us split (2 one one PNR and the other on a different one). On the return we were split again with all on seperate PNR's.

All seat assignments are retained and the non status passenger could change his seat to other MCE seats online with no problems. However, once split, the non status pax can not choose seats reserved for elite and full fare customers (seats with the white triangle in the top left corner). If you want to switch/choose seats after the split (for elite seats for example) you can simply call AA and they'll sort it out for you. If an agent is difficult about it, you can simply HUCA.

At the airport, we all got the extra benefits expected, including extra luggage and Priority AAccess.
I've heard that some agents are sometimes difficult about this, but I did not encounter any issues.
Just called ExPlat line and asked the exact question, first answer: if you separate the PNRs, then the non-status pax will have no benefits (no free bags). She apologized. I left it and hung up... going to call and try with a 2nd agent and see what they say.
Old Jan 20, 2014, 10:23 am

Originally Posted by cphurley
Just called ExPlat line and asked the exact question, first answer: if you separate the PNRs, then the non-status pax will have no benefits (no free bags). She apologized. I left it and hung up... going to call and try with a 2nd agent and see what they say.
0 for 2. The 2nd ExPlat agent said the same thing - "if you separate the PNRs to try to upgrade, the non-status pax will NOT retain ANY of the benefits of the Explat member". I asked about "linking" after separating and she said, "unless the pax are on the SAME record locator, they will not have any of the benefits - i.e. no free baggage".

Any advice here - should I just ask them to do it anyway and assume / hope that its going to work? My other alternative is to inquire about upgrades AFTER check-in; where the bags would all have already been processed and perhaps inquire at AAdmirals Club?

Any more thoughts/ideas?
Old Feb 9, 2014, 2:45 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
Wow - this is still confusing.

Situation - EXP and non-status companion.

Seems like best to book on same PNR, get seats, then split if you want, but then have linked. If you don't split then run into issue of getting passed if X goes 1.

Questions:
1. Is linking a split PNR still possible, when split after ticketing?

2. Companion keeps MCE seat, assigned before split, but can't change after split or loses MCE. Ok - what if one direction is now on US code shares - I assume Companion gets preferred seating along with EXP member - correct?

3. Recommendation - is it better to book in one PNR and never split?
Old Feb 9, 2014, 3:00 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT - 2.9MM, Lifetime AC, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Hertz Precs Crcl
Originally Posted by cova
Wow - this is still confusing.

Situation - EXP and non-status companion.

Seems like best to book on same PNR, get seats, then split if you want, but then have linked. If you don't split then run into issue of getting passed if X goes 1.

Questions:
1. Is linking a split PNR still possible, when split after ticketing?

2. Companion keeps MCE seat, assigned before split, but can't change after split or loses MCE. Ok - what if one direction is now on US code shares - I assume Companion gets preferred seating along with EXP member - correct?

3. Recommendation - is it better to book in one PNR and never split?
Once split, you can still link for upgrade requests AND preferred seating. BUT, if YOU clear and the split companion does not, at that point they supposedly lose access to preferred seats sicne it was only given so they can sit next you you, the eilite, and you are now in different cabins. (Although they may still clear the upgrade later.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.