Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA admits improperly charging YQ surcharge on BA flights ex- HKG

AA admits improperly charging YQ surcharge on BA flights ex- HKG

Old Jun 13, 2017, 6:26 am

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
According to ITA, a HKG-LHR flight ticketed in UK does incur a carrier surcharge - without phoning BA, would be hard to confirm for certain since the website will just default to Hong Kong

Would be interesting what the outcome is for the award ticket
BA Executive Club award tickets are issued in the country where the customer account is registered.

So far as I know, BA does not apply YQ to ex-HKG awards, irrespective of where issued.
Old Jun 13, 2017, 6:29 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Ldnn1
BA Executive Club award tickets are issued in the country where the customer account is registered.

So far as I know, BA does not apply YQ to ex-HKG awards, irrespective of where issued.
That BA doesn't apply surcharges to tickets issued in Hong Kong is not the point as to whether pricing tools such as ITA show that it does apply surcharges to tickets issued outside of Hong Kong

The poster was getting a ticket issued by AA in a country other than Hong Kong

It may be that it is not permitted to apply them and ITA is giving erroneous information or BA is illegally charging them - however it is consistent as to why AA would be applying them
Old Jun 13, 2017, 6:35 am

That BA doesn't apply surcharges to tickets issued in Hong Kong is not the point as to whether pricing tools such as ITA show that it does apply surcharges to tickets issued outside of Hong Kong

The poster was getting a ticket issued by AA in a country other than Hong Kong
My point is that in BA doesn't apply YQ even to ex-HKG award tickets issued by BAEC in, say, London.

So AA should theoretically mirror that practice, but evidently doesn't.
Old Jun 13, 2017, 6:38 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Ldnn1
My point is that in BA doesn't apply YQ even to ex-HKG award tickets issued by BAEC in, say, London.

So AA should theoretically mirror that practice, but evidently doesn't.
AA seems to be simply applying the surcharge that seems to be in the system. The amount quoted by AA seems to marry up fairly well with ITA's listing
Old Jun 14, 2017, 8:15 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA CK; Marriott Plat
AA seems to be simply applying the surcharge that seems to be in the system. The amount quoted by AA seems to marry up fairly well with ITA's listing
It seems indeed that AA is charging the surcharge because BA has recorded it in the systems for non-HKG point of sales. However BA seems to have some kind of override in their systems, so they don't actually end up charging it themselves when booking direct at least.

Regardless it seems that the regulator stance seems to be that point of sale is irrelevant. There my view is that it's definitely AA's responsibility that they are mis-charging it, as they are selling the ticket, even if it's based on incorrect information originally from BA.
Old Jun 14, 2017, 8:18 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by nocod
It seems indeed that AA is charging the surcharge because BA has recorded it in the systems for non-HKG point of sales. However BA seems to have some kind of override in their systems, so they don't actually end up charging it themselves when booking direct at least.

Regardless it seems that the regulator stance seems to be that point of sale is irrelevant. There my view is that it's definitely AA's responsibility that they are mis-charging it, as they are selling the ticket, even if it's based on incorrect information originally from BA.
That's an interesting (and, correct,) analysis.

Last edited by JonNYC; Jun 14, 2017 at 9:33 am
Old Jun 14, 2017, 1:06 pm
Suspended

Thumbs up

Way to go nocod!

For correctly identifying this complicated issue!

Refunds coming.

http://viewfromthewing.boardingarea....el-surcharges/

To their credit, American has quickly addressed this.

First, American Airlines is no longer adding surcharges to awards for British Airways Hong Kong – London Heathrow flights.

...Second they tell me they’re going to “proactively refund passengers” for used their AAdvantage miles and paid surcharges they shouldn’t have been collecting.

Last edited by JonNYC; Jun 14, 2017 at 1:19 pm
Old Jun 14, 2017, 4:25 pm

Programs: Lots of faux metal

Has AA contacted you about the refund or have you contacted them?

Last edited by JDiver; Jun 14, 2017 at 9:41 pm Reason: Redacted previously deleted post content
Old Jun 14, 2017, 4:36 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by skunker
Do ya doubt it's coming?
Old Jun 14, 2017, 4:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA CK; Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by skunker
They have not contacted yet. I will give them some time.
Old Jun 14, 2017, 4:47 pm
Suspended

They have not contacted yet. I will give them some time.
^
Old Jun 14, 2017, 4:49 pm

Programs: Lots of faux metal
Originally Posted by JonNYC
Do ya doubt it's coming?
Not doubting that it would eventually come, but I'm questioning the speed at which it happens.

I have no skin in this game, but I have had issues with refunds from AA and those weren't "proactive refunds."
Old Jun 14, 2017, 9:45 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Thread has been retitled for current status.

Let's get this thread back on topic.

We have no way of knowing if the blog mentioned above got its information from FlyerTalk, Facebook or anyone else. Discussing blogs and bloggers is not the purpose of the AA forum; discussing issues pertinent to AA is.

Thank you,

/Moderator
Old Jun 14, 2017, 9:55 pm
Suspended

Red face

Way to go nocod!
Old Jun 15, 2017, 3:54 am

Programs: Aeroplan
I booked an AAdvantage award on a BA flight HKG-LHR in Club World. They charged me a total of £235 of "Taxes and Carrier-Imposed Fees".

When asked to break it down they told me:
  • £12.00 HK
  • £205.00 YQ
  • £18.00 G3

However, I have been under the impression that fuel surcharges are not allowed by the regulator in Hong Kong. I found this link for lists regulating it to very low levels (109 HKD i.e. around £11 GBP).

AA's position is that BA charges a fuel surcharge for all their flights and there is no mistake.

Any thoughts on this? Am I correct here? If so, where to go next as AA customer service won't budge.
Well done, OP. Truly an Aviation Justice Warrior

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.