Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

aa.com makes me believe I'm purchasing First, when in fact they are selling me biz!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

aa.com makes me believe I'm purchasing First, when in fact they are selling me biz!

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5, 2017, 9:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Diamond Elite Amb, HH Diamond, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Platinum
Thumbs down aa.com makes me believe I'm purchasing First, when in fact they are selling me biz!

Hi all,

I hate ranting, I really do, but this one really annoys me.

I went online to purchase a one way MIA-LAX yesterday on the daily 3 class operated flight (77W).
The options I was presented with when selecting business/first were First and First Flexible (with the latter being significantly cheaper for some reason), but no Business.

Throughout the booking process my flights details were showing me First Flexible, on every page including when submitting my CC details to complete the booking, as well as the confirmation page.

A few minutes later, email comes through, clearly showing booking class as D which is of course a Biz fare, and MMB is indeed showing business class.

Now, tell me I'm wrong, and I missed something here, but surely if AA are presenting me with the option of First on a 3 class service and continue doing so throughout the booking process, while in fact selling me a biz ticket, this is totally misleading?

By the way, I took screen shots of every page throughout the booking process.
Old Jun 5, 2017, 9:55 pm

Programs: AA, DL, Avis, Enterprise, National, IHG, HH, SPG/MR
Originally Posted by clubman
Hi all,

I went online to purchase a one way MIA-LAX yesterday on the daily 3 class operated flight (77W).
The options I was presented with when selecting business/first were First and First Flexible (with the latter being significantly cheaper for some reason), but no Business.

Throughout the booking process my flights details were showing me First Flexible, on every page including when submitting my CC details to complete the booking, as well as the confirmation page.

A few minutes later, email comes through, clearly showing booking class as D which is of course a Biz fare, and MMB is indeed showing business class.

Now, tell me I'm wrong, and I missed something here, but surely if AA are presenting me with the option of First on a 3 class service and continue doing so throughout the booking process, while in fact selling me a biz ticket, this is totally misleading?

Flexible simply means the fare is refundable. But 1 + 1 is not adding up to two here... What did AA say when you called?

By the way what did the booking code say before you made the reservation?

Last edited by kb9522; Jun 5, 2017 at 10:00 pm
Old Jun 5, 2017, 9:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Diamond Elite Amb, HH Diamond, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Platinum
Haven't actually called them yet due to time zones etc, but planing on doing so today.

Thought I would post here in the meantime in case anyone here had any insight, or thought I was being unreasonable before calling them up to complain.
Old Jun 5, 2017, 10:04 pm

Programs: AA, DL, Avis, Enterprise, National, IHG, HH, SPG/MR
Haven't actually called them yet due to time zones etc, but planing on doing so today.

Thought I would post here in the meantime in case anyone here had any insight, or thought I was being unreasonable before calling them up to complain.
Well, I can't say what the case was for you. I looked up an equivalent flight and it's showing flexible first booking as A (also a little confusing, I thought refundable fares were full fares).
Old Jun 5, 2017, 10:13 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Avis PC; Hertz PC; Marriott LT Gold; Hilton Diamond
Are you sure you ended up on 275/1088? Maybe the site accidentally booked you on a non-77W flight? D is first on non-77W flights.

Last edited by HofstraJet; Jun 5, 2017 at 11:15 pm Reason: Misread OP
Old Jun 5, 2017, 10:13 pm

Definitely write AA. I can't reproduce this in a new search but if your screenshots show a First fare on a 77W but you ended up in D, that sounds like a serious website glitch. They should fix it or refund you.
Old Jun 5, 2017, 10:17 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by HofstraJet
...other than three cabin planes, all domestic "first" is now branded business.
I wouldn't say that's an accurate way to describe the change-- it's still branded as first but the underlying booking classes changed.

Originally Posted by _kurt
Definitely write AA. I can't reproduce this in a new search but if your screenshots show a First fare on a 77W but you ended up in D, that sounds like a serious website glitch. They should fix it or refund you.
Agree.
Old Jun 5, 2017, 11:11 pm

Programs: Skywards Platinum
Hi all,

When booking flights on AA.com, prior to payment it presents a screen to select seats. Did it give you the F or J cabin to select seats from?
Old Jun 6, 2017, 1:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Is it allowing you to select seats in yhe F cabin? If so yhen its the equivalent to a YUP but instead is a JUP.

The only other thing I can think of is that you were confused when booking. AA will lump Business/First under one selection. You may have thought you were booking F but instead where booking J. Especially confusing since MIA/LAX gas the 777 which has actual First and Business Clasa, while all other flights are First Class only.

What date is it that youre booking?
Old Jun 6, 2017, 2:07 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

It will be easily rectified. If booked on an aeroplane with 1st, business and economy, you will be able to upgrade the ticket to a 1st class fare by just paying the fare difference. There will be no change fee applicable
Old Jun 6, 2017, 2:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

As posts above, are you in a 2 or 3 class aircraft?

Originally Posted by JonNYC
I wouldn't say that's an accurate way to describe the change-- it's still branded as first but the underlying booking classes changed.
As here AA two class First in US 50 states have been recoded to J, D, I, R and C
Old Jun 6, 2017, 3:18 am

The OP makes me think he didn't book this through aa.com. Two items:
First and First Flexible
Those are British Airways terms used on ba.com, refundable is what you see on aa.com
MMB
Manage My Booking is the BA equivalent of My Trips
Old Jun 6, 2017, 3:34 am

Hmm, that just seems like a dirty trick.
Old Jun 6, 2017, 5:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Guys, thanks for your replies.

I can confirm flights were booked through aa.com, and as I mentioned earlier throughout every step of the booking, including the on-screen conformation I was shown First Flexible. I would show you the screen shots if I could figure out how to do it on here...

I'm definitely booked onto the 3 class 777 flight out of MIA, so no mistakes there.
Old Jun 6, 2017, 5:57 am

Programs: AA EXP
deleted, question answered while I was typing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.