Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Is AAdvantage still the best OneWorld Elite program?

Old Jun 4, 17, 2:23 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage EXPLAT, Hilton Diamond, SPG/Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Citi Exec MC, Amex Plat

Since I travel a lot on LAX-HKG-SIN-HKG-LAX on Cathay Pacific in Premium class, about 4 times a year, usually on E fares, it seems if I used Cathay's Marco Polo Program, I'd only earn 120 points per trip, which would give me 480 which wouldn't even qualify me for CX Gold (Their OW Sapphire level).

And if I use BA's program, it'd give me 250 Tier Points a trip, which at 1000 for the year would only give me BA Silver (OW Sapphire).

But if I credit to AAdvantage, it seems that each trip would net me $3,538 EQD and 26,529 EQM, which would make me EXP and get OW Emerald.

It seems like AAdvantage is still the best elite program across OneWorld, or at least in my case?

And since it's CX, I'd be earning distance based ON RDM and would actually come out ahead than under the old program.

I guess the only thing is that SWUs would be useless to me, but I suppose I could gift them to friends.
Old Jun 4, 17, 2:58 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

In your case, of the schemes compared, it would seem that the AA scheme is best for you

What is best will depend on individuals travel - someone regularly flying that route in , say, V class would be earning zero to AA, so not a good choice
Old Jun 4, 17, 2:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by matrixwalker2012 View Post
..It seems like AAdvantage is still the best elite program across OneWorld, or at least in my case?...
What is your definition of best?
What benefits will you use/be able to use?
Old Jun 4, 17, 3:32 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Diamond, AA exExPlat, BAEC Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Starriott Platinum, GE
Well, I just ditched AAdvantage for Marco Polo

If you primarily fly on CX (which is me) you will still be better off in the long run at MPC (YMMV tho - I know i know). Just because as you said, what will the SWUs be good for? And you will get a lot of RDMs, but are they going to be of good use? (For me, I delegated the RDM responsibilities to Citi and Barclaycard...gotta admit AA showers with RDMs but I won't miss it that much b/c of them)

You may try to see if you price your tickets the other way round (i.e. ex-SIN), R class or I class may not be as astronomical as you think...then Asia miles would come in handy on those cheap upgrades that you can't do with BA/AA miles. Don't forget Asia miles are also transferable from 3 major US points currencies, and their award chart actually has lots of sweet spots hidden in there.

Maybe another thing you want to consider is lifetime miles for lifetime PLT etc. I was very far from there and I joined after only BIS counted for that so I didn't care about it. CX also has some (however, admittedly, soft and unpublished) lifetime benefits.

If you fly enough to make CX GO (Sapphire), you are more advantaged (!) for an operational upgrade than if you were AA EXP. Onboard treatment may not be 'better', but at least it will be more 'consistent'. Plus, with the opening of the new Pier J lounge at HKG I think there's really no need to be obsessed about the F lounges at HKG. The SIN CX lounge soon to be opened will very, very likely be a mixed J/F lounge so no worries about that too.

As I said, the only thing I will miss ditching AAdv is the EXP hotline and free award changes. For the former, if you fly on CX mostly then it doesn't really matter/help much. Plus, if you are a partner elite, you get to access the (seemingly) nice FL lounges across the US if you ever fly domestic, and as I mentioned in the other thread, getting food there and flying in coach on AA is probably going to be better than whatever they serve nowadays in domestic 'F' anyway.
Old Jun 4, 17, 5:13 pm

Agreed AA makes the most sense and rewards premium cabin travel. You just need to make sure you fly the 4 AA segments to maintain status. You get access to the Qantas first lounge at LAX which is nicer than what you would get in other programs where you would get business access.

yes the downside is you are lower down in the priority list for an opup upgrade, but it is by no means guaranteed but premium economy to business is one of the easier ones given the size of small size of the premium economy cabin. I much rather have a systemwides that will get you into business if there is an empty seat vs hoping that premium economy is oversold.

Also worth comparing the miles you would earn under each plan.

Looking forward once AA introduces premium economy on to its planes it may make sense to take the AA option and put the upgrade in for business. Likely prices out better via Tokyo than HK.
Old Jun 4, 17, 5:19 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by ericcheung View Post
Agreed AA makes the most sense and rewards premium cabin travel. You just need to make sure you fly the 4 AA segments to maintain status. .
There is no 4 segment requirement anymore
Old Jun 4, 17, 7:35 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage EXPLAT, Hilton Diamond, SPG/Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Citi Exec MC, Amex Plat
Only thing for AA PE is that the EQDs can be much less.

LAX-HKG roundtrip in PE on AA would just earn the fare, which could be under $2000.

on CX, it could be almost $3000.

My CX trip LAX-HKG-SYD and LAX-HKG-SIN in PE earned me $8,268 EQD.

Last edited by matrixwalker2012; Jun 5, 17 at 9:37 pm

Search this Thread