Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA: $1.6 B renovations to LAX Terminals 4 & 5 (began 17 Oct 2018)

AA: $1.6 B renovations to LAX Terminals 4 & 5 (began 17 Oct 2018)

Old Oct 18, 2018, 9:38 am

Programs: AA LT Gold
Originally Posted by JFKflyer26
Any renderings surfacing yet?
saw this in the LA times
Old Oct 18, 2018, 9:47 am

Programs: AA EXP, HHonors LTDia, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by carlosdca
I don't get the LOL about the sidewalk.
Between T4 and T5, it is not inconvenient at all to use the sidewalk, it is literally just past the sliding doors from the inside terminals area.
Before the connector, I used to walk from T4 to TBIT on the (gasp!) sidewalk all the time and I found it fine.

I also don't see that Uber/Lyft is a problem. I am more annoyed by the miryad of buses (hotels, rent a cars, long term parking shuttles, etc) congesting the road. That for sure is going to be taken care of with the AMP and centralized Car Rental facility.
The sidewalk is dirty, smoky, and narrow. The security bollards just added take up 1/3 of the width to walk down it. On the departure level it is often blocked by people and luggage waiting for the skycap. On the arrival level it is blocked by people waiting for their ride to show up.
beachfan likes this.
Old Oct 18, 2018, 2:02 pm

Programs: BA Gold; Hilton Honors Diamond
Hopefully the Metro system will improve journey times from LAX to downtown LA. I can practically get from my home in Las Vegas to LAX in less time than it takes me to get from LAX to our offices in DTLA.
C17PSGR and AANYC1981 like this.
Old Oct 18, 2018, 5:54 pm

Originally Posted by Geordie405
Hopefully the Metro system will improve journey times from LAX to downtown LA. I can practically get from my home in Las Vegas to LAX in less time than it takes me to get from LAX to our offices in DTLA.
NOPE.
I am very familiar with the metro system plans and to get to downtown you will have to take three trains.
1. Take the people mover,get off at Aviation/LAX Station.
2. Transfer to the new metro line, get off at Crenshaw/Expo Station.
3. Take the EXPO Line to downtown LA. Walk to your office.
I estimate this will take an hour at least.
It will still be more convenient to take a ride or cab, IMO.
Old Oct 19, 2018, 1:25 pm

Programs: AA Plat, DL, AS, UA, IHG Plat
Crenshaw line to LAX won't really add much utility for airport trips until it is extended to North Hollywood with connections to both Purple and Red lines. Once that happens, you can reasonably get to LAX by rail from Mid City, Downtown, Beverly Hills, Hollywood, or southern part of SFV in under 1 hour.

LAX APM is supposed to be running 30 seconds headway so there is very little wait time. It should take about 5 min to go from central terminal area to 96th St/LAX station.

Current Green line Aviation station to Expo/Crenshaw is estimated at 20 min travel time per Crenshaw line EIR. So 96th St/LAX to Expo/Crenshaw should be around 16 or 17 minutes. Expo/Crenshaw to Fairfax/Wilshire or LaBrea/Wilshire should take no more than 7 or 8 minutes (it will be all underground). From there, it will take 12 minutes going east to reach 7th Street Metro Center (the main Downtown LA station), or 13 minutes going west to reach Westwood per the Purple line extension EIR.

So if you are doing the math, the trip from LAX to Downtown LA should take 5+17+8+12=42 min of actual travel time once Crenshaw line is extended to Hollywood. Factor in wait time between transfers, it is totally possible to make that trip under 1 hour. But we are talking about sometime after 2030...
Old Oct 19, 2018, 2:59 pm

Originally Posted by bzcat
So if you are doing the math, the trip from LAX to Downtown LA should take 5+17+8+12=42 min of actual travel time once Crenshaw line is extended to Hollywood. Factor in wait time between transfers, it is totally possible to make that trip under 1 hour. But we are talking about sometime after 2030...
The extension of the Crenshaw/LAX line to Hollywood is just a dream as of now. 2030? Maybe 2047.
See here, for example:
https://la.curbed.com/2018/9/27/1791...il-metro-train.

Uber/Taxi or a friend will still be the preferred methods to commute to downtown, midcity and westside from LAX for the next 2 decades.
(or the Flyaway bus )
Old Oct 19, 2018, 3:04 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
NOPE.
I am very familiar with the metro system plans and to get to downtown you will have to take three trains.
1. Take the people mover,get off at Aviation/LAX Station.
2. Transfer to the new metro line, get off at Crenshaw/Expo Station.
3. Take the EXPO Line to downtown LA. Walk to your office.
I estimate this will take an hour at least.
It will still be more convenient to take a ride or cab, IMO.

I confess, I can be a glutton for punishment. But, you've skipped a couple of steps.

4. Go to Precheck or Flagship checkin
5. Take the bridge to the Qantas First Lounge
6. Shortly before boarding head to the LAX-LHR or LAX-HKG flight and get seated in J ...

jcatman likes this.
Old Oct 19, 2018, 3:10 pm

Programs: CK or bust
Originally Posted by C17PSGR
I confess, I can be a glutton for punishment. But, you've skipped a couple of steps.

4. Go to Precheck or Flagship checkin
5. Take the bridge to the Qantas First Lounge
6. Shortly before boarding head to the LAX-LHR or LAX-HKG flight and get seated in J ...

Very important steps, I'll say!
Old Oct 19, 2018, 6:22 pm

Programs: Alaska FF
saw this in the LA times
The LA Business Journal has a picture of the front elevation (once completed in 2028).

What we are seeing here (I think) is the T4 APM Core which AA has to deliver (construct) by 2024.

By 2028, this building will be extended on both sides. That is what the picture at the LA Business Journal shows.
Old Oct 19, 2018, 8:06 pm

Originally Posted by LDVFlyer
The LA Business Journal has a picture of the front elevation (once completed in 2028).

What we are seeing here (I think) is the T4 APM Core which AA has to deliver (construct) by 2024.

By 2028, this building will be extended on both sides. That is what the picture at the LA Business Journal shows.
Based on those timelines, most of us will be concerned with wheelchair access.
AANYC1981 likes this.
Old Oct 19, 2018, 8:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This must be a depiction of postapocalyptic LAX as in any other scenario there are at least 10x cars and people...
AANYC1981 likes this.
Old Oct 19, 2018, 9:05 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by LDVFlyer
This image is from the publicist's website:

Old Oct 23, 2018, 10:30 am

Programs: AA EXP 1.0mm, not sure where I am with hotels these days
Thank you for posting this. It appears to have elements similar to the JFK AirTrain in New York. The origination is at a commuter rail station hub/subway station to travel to the airport. I see that there is a stop for the people mover at Terminal 1 and 2, and then the clip moves to another area. It still will not have an air-side internal people mover similar to DFW.
Old Oct 23, 2018, 10:46 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by george 3
I see that there is a stop for the people mover at Terminal 1 and 2, and then the clip moves to another area. It still will not have an air-side internal people mover similar to DFW.
There are three stops inside the airport, none of them is airside.

Take a look at this drawing (sorry, I can't insert the image).
Old Oct 23, 2018, 1:05 pm

OK, these worked on my third or fourth try.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.