Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA: $1.6 B renovations to LAX Terminals 4 & 5 (began 17 Oct 2018)

AA: $1.6 B renovations to LAX Terminals 4 & 5 (began 17 Oct 2018)

Old Jun 5, 2017, 2:17 pm

Programs: Alaska FF
Originally Posted by terryversay
So this will only get AA on par with DL? T4/5 vs T2/3, and some gates in TBIT? I came across DL's 'vision' of LAX, and there was in interesting pic of wide bodies parked at TBIT.
To be sure, LAWA had its own incentives in both deals, but there is very little speculation with the gate counts. The airlines obtained additional gates in proportion to their current ops. Both were operating with fewer gates than necessary. As AA is the larger airline now, it will end up with more gates.

LAWA's deal with Delta did not give them any rights to TBIT gates. During the construction phase of their project, Delta will be using the 3 gates at the northern end of TBIT to make up for any gate closures at T2/T3.

When the MSC is complete and provided Delta can show it has met certain usage conditions for its gates at T2/T3, it can request additional gates at TBIT from LAWA.

AA already has rights to gates at TBIT. It is expected those rights will become fully vested, meaning preferential, when the MSC opens.
Old Jun 5, 2017, 5:21 pm

Programs: AA EXP; UA 1K; and a bunch of hotel statuses
Originally Posted by LDVFlyer
To be sure, LAWA had its own incentives in both deals, but there is very little speculation with the gate counts. The airlines obtained additional gates in proportion to their current ops. Both were operating with fewer gates than necessary. As AA is the larger airline now, it will end up with more gates.

LAWA's deal with Delta did not give them any rights to TBIT gates. During the construction phase of their project, Delta will be using the 3 gates at the northern end of TBIT to make up for any gate closures at T2/T3.

When the MSC is complete and provided Delta can show it has met certain usage conditions for its gates at T2/T3, it can request additional gates at TBIT from LAWA.

AA already has rights to gates at TBIT. It is expected those rights will become fully vested, meaning preferential, when the MSC opens.
thanks
Old Jun 7, 2017, 2:05 am

Programs: Alaska Airlines Gold MVP
Originally Posted by JonNYC
And, must have changed quite recently!

http://mediaroom.jetblue.com/investo...2017-170633605

But I guess they'll have to move again in light of all this.
JetBlue knows it is moving. These changes are all incredibly minor and of minimal investment. A lot is literally applying JetBlue logos to the significant work DL had done over the years. JetBlue will be there for a few years, so it's not to total waste, but again, none of it is significant.

AA will trade Eagle gates 1:1 with T5. It had/has 12 Eagle gates (3 inactive). IIRC, two became new gates at T4 so it is down to 10. T5 is 13 gates, 4 already belong to AA. AA takes the remaining 9 T5 gates. It will still be owed one more gate, which maybe can come from reconfiguring.

Last edited by MAH4546; Jun 7, 2017 at 2:12 am
Old Jun 7, 2017, 7:31 am

Originally Posted by MAH4546
JetBlue knows it is moving. These changes are all incredibly minor and of minimal investment. A lot is literally applying JetBlue logos to the significant work DL had done over the years. JetBlue will be there for a few years, so it's not to total waste, but again, none of it is significant.

AA will trade Eagle gates 1:1 with T5. It had/has 12 Eagle gates (3 inactive). IIRC, two became new gates at T4 so it is down to 10. T5 is 13 gates, 4 already belong to AA. AA takes the remaining 9 T5 gates. It will still be owed one more gate, which maybe can come from reconfiguring.
Any idea where the LCCs are moving to? I keep hearing MSC or T7.
Old Jun 7, 2017, 12:04 pm

Programs: AA Plat, DL, AS, UA, IHG Plat
Most of them are destined for MSC. Although they may still use different terminals for check-in because TBIT doesn't have enough counter space.
Old Jun 7, 2017, 12:49 pm

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
Originally Posted by jfinsocal
Long term planning is great but in the short term they gotta get the Uber drivers out of the terminal area. This is a really inefficient use of limited roadway. Put them in the parking garages like LAS, MSY etc.
Putting them in the parking garages will do absolutely nothing to reduce congestion, and will just decrease parking space and revenues. As it is, UberX was moved to the upper level with the remote parking shuttles, which has improved the traffic situation.

Originally Posted by cova
The CONRAC facility looks like it is bound by Aviation Blvd on the West side and La Cienega Blvd on the East, which is right next to the 405 at that point.

West Arbor Vitae St is North and West Century Blvd on the South. Looks like some of the hotels on that side of West Century Blvd will be gone - Holiday Inn, Travelodge, La Quinta. Although looking at it closer - looks like Holiday Inn and La Quinta remain. It will be a very large facility - likely multi-story.

Looks like the ITF (intermodal Transportation Facilities) will be what is on Aviation Blvd. And another ITF at the location of Avis/Budget etc. I assume ITF will be more than parking lots - but drop points as well.
The road access will be on La Cienega, but the actual facility will abut the ITF/Metro area and the APM station will essentially join with the ITF.

The Eagle's nest will be demolished. I'm lapsing on what LAX wants to put there. AA is very happy to exchange a grossly uncompetitive terminal building with RJ-only gates for mainline gates that don't require a 10 minute bus ride for T5 gates.

The fuller details of the deal will be public on June 15th, IIRC.
The eventual plan is for Terminal 9 to go there.

Originally Posted by sdsearch
Are the demolishing the short-term parking garages inside the terminal loop? If not, how are private cars to get to the short-term parking garages if not via the terminal loop?
They aren't demolishing the garages, and private cars are not being banned. That ship sailed a LONG time ago.

Originally Posted by FWAAA
No current plan to ban cars or tear down the short-term garages.

Once the APM is built, no more shuttle buses on the terminal loop - all shuttles will run from the ITFs.
This will actually remove most of the traffic clogging the access to the airport.

Originally Posted by bzcat
Just a concourse, not a terminal.

Midfield Satellite Concourse will be part of TBIT.
It will be a "terminal" in the way Terminal 8 is and Terminal 9, and probably Terminal 0, will be. The MSC will be connected to Bradley, but will be a different facility with a pretty different function.

Some garages in CTA will probably need to be demolished to make room for more airline counters.

When MSC opens, TBIT will not have room for airlines counters (it already doesn't have enough room, hence some have to use T2 or T3 to check in).

At some point, LAWA will have to build a second check in hall for TBIT and maybe some other terminals.
Yeah, that isn't going to happen. The way I see them adding counters is re-configuring the retail at the back end of the current Bradley check-in hall, as well as using Terminal 3 space. I'd imagine that Delta may well eventually give up all of their Terminal 3 counter space.

I don't think JetBlue cares. They don't operate lounges, at this point, and their costs for all of this have been paid by Delta and/or LAWA.

Originally Posted by tphuang
Any idea where the LCCs are moving to? I keep hearing MSC or T7.
Forget about T7. The MSC and/or some expansion at T1/0 would be the best bet.

Most of them are destined for MSC. Although they may still use different terminals for check-in because TBIT doesn't have enough counter space.
One thing to remember is that Terminals 2-8 will soon be connected to Bradley airside, so the inconvenience of check in at different terminal areas will be a short term problem. Long term, I can see T3 and T4 giving Western counter space to airlines using Bradley and the MSC, with T3 possibly giving all counter space to those airlines.
Old Jun 8, 2017, 12:01 am

Programs: UA1k 3MM, AA Plt, peasant on everybody else, elite something or other at a bunch of hotels.
Originally Posted by N1120A
One thing to remember is that Terminals 2-8 will soon be connected to Bradley airside...
Aren't terminals 4-8 already connected airside to TBIT? Some via under gound passages, but I thought they were now all connected.
Old Jun 8, 2017, 1:05 am

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
Originally Posted by 1kBill
Aren't terminals 4-8 already connected airside to TBIT? Some via under gound passages, but I thought they were now all connected.
4-8 are, but 2 and 3 aren't yet. Delta is connecting them, for both online and partner connectivity. WN is also supposed to be connecting T1 to T2 to allow a fully airside experience at LAX. T9 and T0 would both be connected to their "mother" terminals airside.
Old Jun 8, 2017, 7:54 am

Programs: AA EXP 1.0mm, not sure where I am with hotels these days
And, must have changed quite recently!

http://mediaroom.jetblue.com/investo...2017-170633605

But I guess they'll have to move again in light of all this.
From this press release it appears Hawaiian moves to T5 too, or was that already announced previously?
Old Jun 8, 2017, 8:08 am

Originally Posted by george 3
From this press release it appears Hawaiian moves to T5 too, or was that already announced previously?
It was announced and Hawaiian are already in 5
Old Jun 8, 2017, 3:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

JetBlue knows it is moving.
I can just envision this advertising campaign that JetBlue might get involved in, to "fight back":

"Long Beach is Even More Happening"
Old Jun 8, 2017, 6:00 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond
None of this looks like it will help the congestion on the tarmac (at least for a while). I don't think I've had an on-time arrival or departure from LAX in the last year...
Old Aug 6, 2017, 7:40 pm
Suspended

Eagle's nest will close. T5 will be exclusively AA's. ..
Originally Posted by morrisunc
Where did you read this? If they have all of 4 & 5 won't they have to bring along some one world partners as Delta is having to do with their new lease? If AA is allowed to use 4&5 exclusively and operate its intl departures out of TBIT that would seem to give them a huge advantage over Delta and United.
It will be announced in two weeks.

AA already has a gate advantage at LAX and will simply keep that advantage. AA has been very smart in acquiring gates at LAX over the past decade.
Will be interesting to see when this is announced. Last I had heard T5 was still going to be shared w/ AA having the vast majority of the gates (10 or 11 or so.). I guess that's changed!
...T5 is 13 gates, 4 already belong to AA. AA takes the remaining 9 T5 gates. It will still be owed one more gate, which maybe can come from reconfiguring.
You still feel pretty confident about this information?
Old Jul 14, 2018, 2:34 pm

Programs: AA EXP (owe), BA Silver (ows), AB Silver (owr), WN A+/CP, IHG Spire AMB, Avis First
Hurray, the LAX Eagle's Nest is going away! > 2024 - future AA LAX changes

... in 2024.

"It also requires that they vacate their remote regional concourse by 2024".

http://www.theavgeek.net/2018/07/14/...mpression=true

Can't come soon enough...
fmastr likes this.
Old Jul 14, 2018, 3:31 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AA1MM PLTPRO, Hertz PC, National EXC, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton/Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
While there are some positives here, it does seem like AA is losing gates in this deal, as well as their maintenance facility?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.