Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA: $1.6 B renovations to LAX Terminals 4 & 5 (began 17 Oct 2018)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA: $1.6 B renovations to LAX Terminals 4 & 5 (began 17 Oct 2018)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 8, 2021, 11:35 am

Programs: AA Concierge Key, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by VSLover
so how have things been at LAX lately? having not been able to come thru in a very long while, i was just curious if it is yet a complete mess on the AA side of things?
We were just there, and there is no visible construction on the inside of T4 yet. There is some scaffolding around the exterior between T4 and T5.

the big construction seems to be focused on the people mover and the associated stations/walkways.
VSLover likes this.
Old Aug 8, 2021, 11:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
so how have things been at LAX lately? having not been able to come thru in a very long while, i was just curious if it is yet a complete mess on the AA side of things?
I haven't had any major issues with AA at LAX recently (other than all the normal LAX issues). Delta on the other hand, avoid that rat's nest on the other side of the airport until they fix it, complete disaster.
VSLover and pmblinn like this.
Old Aug 8, 2021, 11:39 am

Programs: QF WP, AA EXP
The only thing that is currently a mess on the AA side of things is the Eagle Terminal, and that's not due to construction but the usual crappy bus service. I guess you could count the Flagship Lounge closure as part of that mess too.

Other than that, the current terminal 4/5 reconstruction hasn't affected AA ops much at the moment.

The roadways in the airport horseshoe do kind of suck right now due to the train and parking garage construction projects.
VSLover and Tack like this.
Old Aug 8, 2021, 2:05 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro
Originally Posted by DynamoLA
We were just there, and there is no visible construction on the inside of T4 yet. There is some scaffolding around the exterior between T4 and T5
Flew out of there to MIA a little over a week ago. The only thing I saw in the gate area? It was in the middle of the walk way, just before the rotunda. They had it completely covered, so it wasn’t an issue except for noise. But so far not bad.
Old Aug 8, 2021, 2:28 pm
S80

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K, 1MM, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by SNA_Flyer
The only thing that is currently a mess on the AA side of things is the Eagle Terminal, and that's not due to construction but the usual crappy bus service. I guess you could count the Flagship Lounge closure as part of that mess too.

Other than that, the current terminal 4/5 reconstruction hasn't affected AA ops much at the moment.

The roadways in the airport horseshoe do kind of suck right now due to the train and parking garage construction projects.
Sat on the ground for 20-25 minutes earlier this week waiting for a gate. Was on a widebody, and gate 41 was closed (re-doing the concrete on the ramp), so only 43 and 48X (48B with 48A closed) available in T4 for widebodies. Not sure how much gate space AA gets in TBIT for these widebodies as 151 (opposite of 41) was also closed due to this construction.

Also noticed that 40 and 42A were closed (with temporary walls built to block the noise).
Old Aug 8, 2021, 2:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by S80
Sat on the ground for 20-25 minutes earlier this week waiting for a gate.
In fairness we can't pin this solely on LAX as it seems to be the norm for AA at pretty much any airport nationwide. I've never seen such poor gate management.
Old Aug 8, 2021, 2:43 pm
S80

Originally Posted by cmd320
In fairness we can't pin this solely on LAX as it seems to be the norm for AA at pretty much any airport nationwide. I've never seen such poor gate management.
Absolutely, just adding a data point since one of the widebody gates was closed. However, my typical experience flying into LA this year (mostly on widebodies) has been no delay, and occasional on a narrowbody, so this delay did surprise me.
cmd320 likes this.
Old Aug 8, 2021, 4:46 pm

Programs: BA GGL & GfL, AA LTP, Marriott (sigh) Ambassador, Hilton Diamond

oh god im already dreading my flt next month. i purposely chose a mainline for SFO-LAX which of course was changed to eagle. even when i used to commute between LAX-SFO about 9 years ago i was dreading the delays thanks to the runway construction at SFO and sometimes when i couldnt avoid it--the eagles nest on the return to LAX.

but thanks for the feedback everyone--because of covid and other immigration related issues on my end i havent been able to get back to the US since fall of 2019 and know LAX will be quite different when i do make it next month!
Old Aug 9, 2021, 1:24 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
oh god im already dreading my flt next month. i purposely chose a mainline for SFO-LAX which of course was changed to eagle.
They’ve been doing this on this route for well over a year. Mainline shows up starting around 2 months out on the “placeholder” schedule only to be cut when the “real” schedule comes out.

The only thing that is currently a mess on the AA side of things is the Eagle Terminal, and that's not due to construction but the usual crappy bus service.
Are they back to full capacity on the buses?
Old Aug 9, 2021, 2:57 am

Programs: BA GGL & GfL, AA LTP, Marriott (sigh) Ambassador, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by econ
They’ve been doing this on this route for well over a year. Mainline shows up starting around 2 months out on the “placeholder” schedule only to be cut when the “real” schedule comes out.
thats the prob--just when i thought months ago when booking "oh surely things will be closer to normal by the fall!" .... NOPE! lol
Old Aug 9, 2021, 9:58 am
S80

Originally Posted by econ
Are they back to full capacity on the buses?
They definitely didn't appear to be limiting it, however when I went through there weren't enough pax to fill up all the seats on the bus.
econ likes this.
Old Aug 4, 2023, 4:23 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA: EXP, 1MM Marriott: Ambassador, LTT
A few updates on AA T4 renovations which are not scheduled to be completed until the end of 2027. I expect the real completion date will be in Q2 2028 just before the Olympics.

1. AA did some cost cutting between the initial proposal and final approval. Specifically they decided to not completely rebuild the Terminal 4 concourse. As you can see below, instead of completely rebuilding the concourse, the final version leaves most of the old concourse up to the Admirals/Flagship Lounge intact. They also appear to have considerably reduced the amount of office/lounge space they were adding above the T4 concourse, while adding some space above the headhouse.

Original Proposal

New Proposal

Here is the an interesting render of the entrance to the T4 concourse that was in a LAWA document this month. You can see how when the T4 headhouse is completed you will actually descend down escalators from the headhouse to reach the T4 concourse.

For lounge fans it still looks like there will be some new space on the T4 "club level" that could be used to expand the Admirals and/or Flagship lounge, however the latest render above has a what appears to be a large roof deck/opening where much of the 22,000 SF of "potential club expansion" space in the original plans (see below) was supposed to be. The planning documents still say that AA is responsible for all "Airline Lounge Construction" so they are obviously planning on doing something just not clear what. Along those lines, the approval documents do refer to a new "Premium Services Lounge" that American will be responsible for building somewhere in the T4 to T5 connector. Not clear if this is another AAdmirals club (which seems unlikely given there will be ones in T4 and T5) or some kind of VIP lounge separate from the Flagship lounge but its in the plans as of now.

Finally, here is what the Phase 1 Construction of Concourse 4 looked like as of 8/3/23 Phase 1 is supposed to finish by middle of 2024, you can be the judge if you think that is likely to happen or not.

dw, AAway, VSLover and 2 others like this.

Last edited by BillBurn; Aug 4, 2023 at 4:28 pm
Old Aug 5, 2023, 7:57 pm

Programs: AA EXP with lots of BA. UA 2MM Lifetime Plat - No longer chase hotel loyalty
Originally Posted by BillBurn
A few updates on AA T4 renovations which are not scheduled to be completed until the end of 2027. I expect the real completion date will be in Q2 2028 just before the Olympics.

1. AA did some cost cutting between the initial proposal and final approval. Specifically they decided to not completely rebuild the Terminal 4 concourse. As you can see below, instead of completely rebuilding the concourse, the final version leaves most of the old concourse up to the Admirals/Flagship Lounge intact. They also appear to have considerably reduced the amount of office/lounge space they were adding above the T4 concourse, while adding some space above the headhouse.
What's odd is that change was actually made in 2021 upon the final phasing that was planned. Don't know why it was still in the drafts and final exec EIR report as you showed "original"

This document referred to Phase 3 as ramp changes and not a building change any longer (See in Yellow on the link below - specific page called out) . That section of building was NOT the original LAX building core but a re-designed section from the 80s that was entirely rebuilt in the early 2000s when AA did the last major change to T4

(See Page 15) https://lawa.granicus.com/MetaViewer...&meta_id=49675
jerry a. laska likes this.
Old Aug 6, 2023, 7:06 am

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, DL UA
Will AA add gates with this project?
Old Aug 6, 2023, 7:50 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by CLTRob
Will AA add gates with this project?
The original plan was for AA to have all the gates in T4 and T5, for the remote Eagle's nest terminal to close, and for the other airlines that were using T5 to move to the West Gates concourse at TBIT. I have no idea if that's still the plan.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.