Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA: $1.6 B renovations to LAX Terminals 4 & 5 (began 17 Oct 2018)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA: $1.6 B renovations to LAX Terminals 4 & 5 (began 17 Oct 2018)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23, 2018, 5:25 pm

Programs: AA LT Gold
Originally Posted by george 3
It still will not have an air-side internal people mover similar to DFW.
No. Why would you want one?
From what terminal to what terminal do you usually transfer?
Old Oct 23, 2018, 7:37 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by carlosdca
No. Why would you want one?
From what terminal to what terminal do you usually transfer?
I imagine 5 to TBIT is reasonably common, and not at all convenient at the moment.
Old Oct 23, 2018, 8:20 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by deeruck
I imagine 5 to TBIT is reasonably common, and not at all convenient at the moment.
It's about a ten minutes walk inside the secured area, faster than waiting for and riding the SkyLink between two adjacent terminals at DFW.
Old Oct 23, 2018, 9:04 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, Marriott Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by TWA884
It's about a ten minutes walk inside the secured area, faster than waiting for and riding the SkyLink between two adjacent terminals at DFW.
It doesn't take 10 minutes to wait for and ride the Skylink between terminals. They come every 2 minutes and your average ride time is 5 minutes.
Old Oct 24, 2018, 1:11 am

Programs: AA EXP.
looking forward to 10 years of construction!
AANYC1981 likes this.
Old Oct 24, 2018, 3:54 am

Programs: American Airlines
Sadly, will be through LAX next week. Going back to SNA after that. It sometimes takes me much longer on the rental car shuttle to get from rental car depot to terminals. Might as well park on the 405 or another highway.
Old Oct 24, 2018, 8:38 am

Programs: AA LT Gold
Originally Posted by deeruck
It is not super convenient only because it is required to go down and up escalators.
But, as in the LAWA press release quoted up thread, the project scope includes:
· Connecting T4 and T5 on both the landside and airside of the building, including an above-ground connection extending from the T4/TBIT Connector to T5 on the airside
No need to build an airside train/rail between T4/T5 and TBIT.
You will conveniently walk between terminals.
TWA884 likes this.
Old Oct 24, 2018, 11:38 am

Programs: BA , Hilton Honors Gold, SPG Gold, LQ Elite
I wish they could bulldoze the whole airport and start over. I hate how every terminal is different, but that's most likely the OCD in me haha. I do feel like they could have more space with an Atlanta style airport.
Old Oct 24, 2018, 4:30 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by carlosdca
It is not super convenient only because it is required to go down and up escalators.
But, as in the LAWA press release quoted up thread, the project scope includes:

No need to build an airside train/rail between T4/T5 and TBIT.
You will conveniently walk between terminals.
I'm sure that would help. The journey is fine for an able bodied individual. I imagine someone who moves a little slower, or has a family in tow, doesn't enjoy the escalators, the long tunnel, the escalators, the crowded terminal, the escalators, the reasonably long connector, the escalators... I missed that there would be a purpose built connector.
TSparky likes this.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 1:35 pm

Programs: AA EXP, LT Gold
I had the displeasure of connecting through LAX yesterday after our HKG-DFW direct was canceled on 11 Feb. Flew in on CX after a nothing short of tranquil experience at the HKG check-in, Pier First Class lounge and wonderful product on CX J.

After a smooth transit through customs at TBIT, the efficient, relaxing and comfortable journey from which I had just arrived screeched to a halt. Took the walk out the door to T4 after the security agent guarding the vaunted tunnel said I could not go through the interior walkway. Then through TSA Pre in the pseudo-hallway, diminutive area for security clearance above check in. The FL lounge was the last bastion of normative humanity, as we went to 46B and immersed in the anxious crowd of gate lice, who must have all been group 1, judging by the amount of them who boarded before us in group 2.

Departure was 12:15p, and the busses didn't arrive until 11:55a. After being the last on the first bus, we were allowed to take in the aromatic fumes of diesel from the bus exhaust pipe, billowing into the rear door as the driver stood outside the packed bus chatting with another rep who was holding the other pax back to wait their turn.

At least the sky was very clear yesterday, and we enjoyed the views of the snow-capped mountains en route to the remote 200 gate hardstands.

As we boarded the plane, the FA could sense everyone's frustration. She then blamed LAX for everything bad that had just happened to us all, in some odd attempt to save the company's reputation.

Staring at all the "LA's #1 Arline" busses running around the airfield, collecting arriving pax from the HND 789 flight or moving them to the 7-8 narrow body flights at the hardstands, I chuckled at such an outlandish, self-appointed title.

Spend faster, AA. At this rate, in 10 years, you'll have much less pax to move through your terminals at LAX.
allset2travel likes this.

Last edited by econometrics; Feb 12, 2019 at 4:34 pm Reason: typos
Old Feb 12, 2019, 1:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by econometrics
... in some odd attempt to save the company's reputation..
I think that ship has already sailed.
wrp96 and econometrics like this.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 4:26 pm

Programs: AA EXP, LT Gold
Originally Posted by SFO777
I think that ship has already sailed.
Which is exactly why my eyes almost rolled out of my head, down the air stairs onto the tarmac, and back into the bus with "LA's #1 Airline" printed on its side.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 7:46 am

Programs: AA PLTPRO, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Experiencing this now at LAX. Not sure what activity it taking place, but the even gates at T4 (east side of terminal) are all doing remote bus boarding. I received a few emails the last couple of days warning of construction/timing and this morning received this notice at the AC when arriving

Old Feb 13, 2019, 8:04 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by OskiBear
Experiencing this now at LAX. Not sure what activity it taking place, but the even gates at T4 (east side of terminal) are all doing remote bus boarding. I received a few emails the last couple of days warning of construction/timing and this morning received this notice at the AC when arriving
Today is/was scheduled to be the last day of this temporary measure.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 9:08 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA: EXP, 1MM Marriott: Ambassador, LTT
As @JonNYC notes, these T4 gate closures should be very short lived, however it should also be noted that as part of the T 4.5 core project, 2 gates (I believe gate 40 and gate 51A) will be out of service during the duration of the 4.5 Core work (from later this year till end of 2021 or so). To make up for the loss of these 2 gates, Terminal 5 will be regated to add 2 new gates (including a "common use bus gate"). I believe that this T5 regating work is supposed to start soon which will likely cause some headaches at T5 this spring/summer.

Oh and if you think T4 is a mess now, just wait until the T4 renovations start. They have been described as a "complete reconstruction of Terminal 4" including both the gate concourse and the current headhouse. As far as I can tell, the plan is to continue to use T4 during the rebuild although groups of gates will likely be out of action at different points in time. I don' t think that work is scheduled to kick off until after the 4.5 core is built (so 2022) so nothing to worry about short term but at least you have something to look forward to.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.