Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA: $1.6 B renovations to LAX Terminals 4 & 5 (began 17 Oct 2018)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA: $1.6 B renovations to LAX Terminals 4 & 5 (began 17 Oct 2018)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4, 2017, 2:14 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines Gold MVP
Originally Posted by carljanderson
Where are B6, NK, HA, G4, F9 and SY going to go?
LAX is building a new terminal called the Midfield Terminal. It opens in 2019. Airlines will shuffle around once more.
Old Jun 4, 2017, 2:25 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by MAH4546
...T5 will be exclusively AA's.
Will be interesting to see when this is announced. Last I had heard T5 was still going to be shared w/ AA having the vast majority of the gates (10 or 11 or so.). I guess that's changed!
Old Jun 4, 2017, 2:50 pm

Programs: AA Plat, UA Gold
how will connecting the front of T4/5 going to cost 1.5bn. Delta is only spending 1.9 bn to completely renovate two terminals. This seems like it will just be re-building the check in areas like how United T6/7 works now... Where is the money going!!!

also, the entire midfield terminal is only supposed to cost 1.6 bn

Last edited by bbmatt; Jun 4, 2017 at 6:26 pm
Old Jun 4, 2017, 4:55 pm

I guess we will have to wait for some renderings.
Old Jun 4, 2017, 6:42 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by JonNYC
Will be interesting to see when this is announced. Last I had heard T5 was still going to be shared w/ AA having the vast majority of the gates (10 or 11 or so.). I guess that's changed!
And, must have changed quite recently!

http://mediaroom.jetblue.com/investo...2017-170633605

May 11, 2017

May 17 Move to Terminal 5 Gives JetBlue Customers Access to Premium Concessions, Modern Terminal Design, and Free Terminal-wide Wi-Fi

Once JetBlue moves its operation to Terminal 5, the airline will begin a series of redesign projects in the check-in lobby. Starting this summer, customers arriving at LAX will be welcomed by hospitality trained crewmembers and a spacious and modern check-in area designed by Gensler, the team behind JetBlue’s iconic Terminal 5 at New York-JFK. The LAX plan will feature JetBlue’s new self-service lobby with ten check-in positions plus ten interactive self-service kiosks – both are more than double the number at Terminal 3. The new interactive kiosks feature the latest personal, helpful and simple technology, including self-bag tagging and bag drop capabilities that increase efficiency and reduce frustrating airport lines. JetBlue Mint customers and Mosaic members will also have a dedicated check-in area.

Upgraded Terminal Experience

JetBlue’s arrival in Terminal 5 comes after Los Angeles World Airports’ previous investments in terminal upgrades.
But I guess they'll have to move again in light of all this.
Old Jun 4, 2017, 7:01 pm
Suspended

Also, Eagle's nest will close, but a new one will be built with the same number of gates likely out by the old CO/current UA hangar.
Old Jun 4, 2017, 8:31 pm
Suspended

so continuous construction for the next 10 years.
JDiver likes this.
Old Jun 4, 2017, 10:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cova
Hope they ban private cars from the terminal loop.
Are the demolishing the short-term parking garages inside the terminal loop? If not, how are private cars to get to the short-term parking garages if not via the terminal loop?
Old Jun 4, 2017, 11:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sdsearch
Are the demolishing the short-term parking garages inside the terminal loop? If not, how are private cars to get to the short-term parking garages if not via the terminal loop?
No current plan to ban cars or tear down the short-term garages.

Once the APM is built, no more shuttle buses on the terminal loop - all shuttles will run from the ITFs.
Old Jun 5, 2017, 1:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by jfinsocal
Long term planning is great but in the short term they gotta get the Uber drivers out of the terminal area. This is a really inefficient use of limited roadway. Put them in the parking garages like LAS, MSY etc.
Uber drivers already have an offsite holding area. They only get to come into the airport once they have a passenger pickup or to Drop off. Uber Black can pickup on the arrivals level. However all UberX pickups and all drop off regardless are supposed to be on departure level.
Old Jun 5, 2017, 11:48 am

Programs: AA EXP; UA 1K; and a bunch of hotel statuses
Eagle's nest will close. T5 will be exclusively AA's. The two terminals will be merged essentially and while, yes, they are connected beyond security via a tunnel, they'll now be connected behind security above ground. Plus AA will continue to use TBIT, and when the new Midfield opens in 2019, AA's TBIT gates become preferential use.
So this will only get AA on par with DL? T4/5 vs T2/3, and some gates in TBIT? I came across DL's 'vision' of LAX, and there was in interesting pic of wide bodies parked at TBIT.
Old Jun 5, 2017, 12:23 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Is the $1.5B in addition to everyday maintenance and repairs?

Since this is over 10 years, that is $150M per year. How does that compare with what AA spends on LAX today?

Last edited by aztimm; Jun 5, 2017 at 1:39 pm
Old Jun 5, 2017, 12:43 pm

Programs: AA Plat, DL, AS, UA, IHG Plat
LAX is building a new terminal called the Midfield Terminal. It opens in 2019. Airlines will shuffle around once more.
Just a concourse, not a terminal.

Midfield Satellite Concourse will be part of TBIT.
Old Jun 5, 2017, 12:46 pm

Programs: AA Plat, DL, AS, UA, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by FWAAA
No current plan to ban cars or tear down the short-term garages.

Once the APM is built, no more shuttle buses on the terminal loop - all shuttles will run from the ITFs.
Some garages in CTA will probably need to be demolished to make room for more airline counters.

When MSC opens, TBIT will not have room for airlines counters (it already doesn't have enough room, hence some have to use T2 or T3 to check in).

At some point, LAWA will have to build a second check in hall for TBIT and maybe some other terminals.
Old Jun 5, 2017, 1:18 pm

Programs: Bonvoy TE(LT), DL DM(Retired) 1MM, AA EXP
Originally Posted by aztimm
Is the $1.5B in addition to everyday maintenance and repairs?

Since this is over 10 years, that is $150k per year. How does that compare with what AA spends on LAX today?

Math is slightly off. That would average out to $150M per year over 10 years.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.