Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA: $1.6 B renovations to LAX Terminals 4 & 5 (began 17 Oct 2018)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA: $1.6 B renovations to LAX Terminals 4 & 5 (began 17 Oct 2018)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3, 2017, 11:57 am

Programs: It's Complicated...
Originally Posted by PlatinumScum
So basically, something nice to look at while waiting 2 hours for one's gate.
Was kind of thinking the same thing....
Old Jun 3, 2017, 12:31 pm

Any renderings surfacing yet?
Old Jun 3, 2017, 12:58 pm

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
Originally Posted by SFO777
Sure it does. It's called the sidewalk.
Cute

Originally Posted by MAH4546
Eagle's nest will close. T5 will be exclusively AA's. The two terminals will be merged essentially and while, yes, they are connected beyond security via a tunnel, they'll now be connected behind security above ground. Plus AA will continue to use TBIT, and when the new Midfield opens in 2019, AA's TBIT gates become preferential use.
It seems shortsighted to close that space, given that gates will always be at a premium at LAX.

Originally Posted by AlwaysAisle
That was my first thought when I read about this AA terminal renovation at LAX. Will LAX AA terminal look like what UA LAX terminal is like? Maybe they will dig out old blue print of current UA LAX terminal from the storage and simply use that to save some money.
Actually, have you ever looked at the floors at LAX? They are similar, just done in the color schemes of the different airlines.
Old Jun 3, 2017, 1:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by N1120A
It seems shortsighted to close that space, given that gates will always be at a premium at LAX.
The 153-gate cap settlement agreement runs three more years, and nobody knows what will happen next. If AA closes the nest, it will gain 9+ gates in Terminal 5 and/or TBIT to replace them. Just because gates are in short supply is no reason for AA to be forced to utilize the most inconvenient gates for its regional flights.

If another airline wants the Eagle's nest in the future (after AA is able to move it into mainline terminal space), then other airlines are free to operate there.

When AA built the now-demolished Eagle's nest to the west of TBIT, it was to handle dozens of SF3 turboprop flights. Now that E75s and other large RJs comprise the majority of AA's regional flights at LAX, there's no reason to banish them to a remote terminal. DL and UA* have long had their regional flights at their main terminals, and one of these days, so will AA.

*AA's current nest is the former home of UA's turboprop operations.
wrp96 likes this.
Old Jun 3, 2017, 1:32 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by FWAAA
More specifics from LAWA press release:

“This deal with American to dramatically improve terminals 4 and 5 along with projects like the new Midfield Satellite Concourse, the Automated People Mover, the consolidated rental car facility, and the renovation of terminals 2 and 3 are to deliver on our top priority -

http://www.lawa.org/newsContentbs.aspx?ID=2355
What is the Automated People Mover?

Train between all terminals and new rental car facility, landside? Elevated or underground? Where will the rental car facility be?

Looks like I answered my own questions.

http://www.connectinglax.com/solution.html

Elevated, above the parking garages, and looks like overhead walkways to terminal. Rental Car facility is all the way over by 405 freeway.
And looks like current rental car areas become - drop off and loading areas.

Hope they ban private cars from the terminal loop.

Completion date - 2023

Last edited by cova; Jun 3, 2017 at 1:44 pm
Old Jun 3, 2017, 1:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cova

Train between all terminals and new rental car facility, landside? Elevated or underground? Where will the rental car facility be?
Here you go:

http://www.gatewaytola.org/index.cfm...er-apm-system/

https://www.lawa.org/uploadedFiles/L...summer2016.pdf

https://www.lawa.org/newsContent.aspx?ID=2207

Looks to me like the DFW train - at least I hope that's what they have in mind. High speed, elevated, dependable train.
Old Jun 3, 2017, 1:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite

Elevated, above the parking garages, and looks like overhead walkways to terminal. Rental Car facility is all the way over by 405 freeway.

http://www.gatewaytola.org/index.cfm...center-conrac/
Old Jun 3, 2017, 4:14 pm

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
Originally Posted by FWAAA
The 153-gate cap settlement agreement runs three more years, and nobody knows what will happen next. If AA closes the nest, it will gain 9+ gates in Terminal 5 and/or TBIT to replace them. Just because gates are in short supply is no reason for AA to be forced to utilize the most inconvenient gates for its regional flights.

If another airline wants the Eagle's nest in the future (after AA is able to move it into mainline terminal space), then other airlines are free to operate there.

When AA built the now-demolished Eagle's nest to the west of TBIT, it was to handle dozens of SF3 turboprop flights. Now that E75s and other large RJs comprise the majority of AA's regional flights at LAX, there's no reason to banish them to a remote terminal. DL and UA* have long had their regional flights at their main terminals, and one of these days, so will AA.

*AA's current nest is the former home of UA's turboprop operations.
I'm well aware of what the former purpose for the "Eagle's Nest" was, and even know the previous ATC name for it (do you?).

AA completely remodeled that complex, with the intention of using it for RJs, including large RJs. It seems a waste of terminal space to completely abandon it.

That said, if Terminal 9 becomes a reality, that goes away anyway.

Completion date - 2023
1) They aren't going to ban private cars. That LAX Island idea got Jim Hahn voted out of office and it just isn't happening.

2) The consolidated rental facility isn't going to be by the 405. It will be by Aviation Boulevard, just off the new Metro extension.
Old Jun 3, 2017, 7:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Gotta keep up with DL...
Old Jun 3, 2017, 8:17 pm

Programs: US Chairman no more. AA EXP
Long term planning is great but in the short term they gotta get the Uber drivers out of the terminal area. This is a really inefficient use of limited roadway. Put them in the parking garages like LAS, MSY etc.
Old Jun 3, 2017, 9:33 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by N1120A
2) The consolidated rental facility isn't going to be by the 405. It will be by Aviation Boulevard, just off the new Metro extension.
The CONRAC facility looks like it is bound by Aviation Blvd on the West side and La Cienega Blvd on the East, which is right next to the 405 at that point.

West Arbor Vitae St is North and West Century Blvd on the South. Looks like some of the hotels on that side of West Century Blvd will be gone - Holiday Inn, Travelodge, La Quinta. Although looking at it closer - looks like Holiday Inn and La Quinta remain. It will be a very large facility - likely multi-story.

Looks like the ITF (intermodal Transportation Facilities) will be what is on Aviation Blvd. And another ITF at the location of Avis/Budget etc. I assume ITF will be more than parking lots - but drop points as well.
Old Jun 4, 2017, 4:17 am

Programs: Alaska Airlines Gold MVP
The Eagle's nest will be demolished. I'm lapsing on what LAX wants to put there. AA is very happy to exchange a grossly uncompetitive terminal building with RJ-only gates for mainline gates that don't require a 10 minute bus ride for T5 gates.

The fuller details of the deal will be public on June 15th, IIRC.
Old Jun 4, 2017, 12:56 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HHonors LTDia, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by SFO777
Sure it does. It's called the sidewalk.
AKA The Smoking Area. LAX has the worst 2nd hand smoke problem out of all airports, including LAS.
Old Jun 4, 2017, 1:30 pm

Programs: DL PM, HH Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by MAH4546
The Eagle's nest will be demolished. I'm lapsing on what LAX wants to put there. AA is very happy to exchange a grossly uncompetitive terminal building with RJ-only gates for mainline gates that don't require a 10 minute bus ride for T5 gates.

The fuller details of the deal will be public on June 15th, IIRC.
Where are B6, NK, HA, G4, F9 and SY going to go?
Old Jun 4, 2017, 2:13 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines Gold MVP
Originally Posted by morrisunc
Where did you read this? If they have all of 4 & 5 won't they have to bring along some one world partners as Delta is having to do with their new lease? If AA is allowed to use 4&5 exclusively and operate its intl departures out of TBIT that would seem to give them a huge advantage over Delta and United.
It will be announced in two weeks.

AA already has a gate advantage at LAX and will simply keep that advantage. AA has been very smart in acquiring gates at LAX over the past decade.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.