Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Top 30 AA Stations

Search this Thread

Old May 30, 2017, 6:56 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
How PIT and STL have fallen from being major USAir and TWA hubs.
Old May 30, 2017, 7:04 pm

Programs: AA CK MM, AC SE100K, UA 1K, DL Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by ty97
CMH's position shocked me. Had no idea they had that many flights.
Interesting list. IND surprised me a bit, as well.
Old May 30, 2017, 7:12 pm

Programs: DL PM; UA 1K; AA 1MM
Coming back to this. For Sunday, June 4 from CMH, I see:

6x DFW
1x LAX
6x PHL
2x PHX
8x CLT
9x ORD
3x MIA
1x JFK
6x LGA
5x DCA

So yeah, 47, wow. It's almost entirely Eagle though (mix of 2-class and 1-class planes). Only mainline is DFW (6x MD-80...so that's where they went! ), LAX (1x 319), PHX (2x 319) and one of the PHL flights (1x E90). The other other 37 flights are all Eagle, so by passenger count CMH probably falls down the list quite a bit. Still, impressive number of flights for that outstation.
Old May 30, 2017, 8:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
Amazing that LGA has (many) more daily departures than JFK. But I guess you have to include all the regional flights.
Old May 30, 2017, 9:08 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Originally Posted by ESpen36
Amazing that LGA has (many) more daily departures than JFK. But I guess you have to include all the regional flights.
And LGA even has more passengers than JFK. That surprises me almost as much as how many flights CMH has. I guess there's something to being not terribly close to any of the AA hubs and in the middle of the country and thus able to have service to all nine hubs (counting NYC as one big hub). (CMH is not an airport I would have put on a list of outstations with service to all
hubs.)
Old May 30, 2017, 10:42 pm

Programs: DL GM, AA PLAT, Hilton Gold, AMEX Plat
Not terribly surprised by this. HP used to have a hub at CMH until 2003, but it was always the third wheel to PHX and LAS. Ultimately, HP never really gained traction in the midwest and the hub was closed in 2003.

They even had a plane painted in Ohio colors!
Attached Images  
Old May 30, 2017, 10:42 pm

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond
The proper phrasing is "#15 will shock you."
Old May 31, 2017, 12:10 am

Originally Posted by asf-07
Club info added
  1. AA DFW 761 (CLUB)
  2. AA CLT 662 (CLUB)
  3. AA ORD 474 (CLUB)
  4. AA PHL 384 (CLUB)
  5. AA MIA 340 (CLUB)
  6. AA PHX 292 (CLUB)
  7. AA DCA 235 (CLUB)
  8. AA LAX 208 (CLUB)
  9. AA LGA 141 (CLUB)
  10. AA JFK 97 (CLUB)
  11. AA BOS 85 (CLUB)
  12. AA SFO 53 (CLUB)
  13. AA MCO 52 (CLUB)
  14. AA RDU 52 (CLUB)
  15. AA CMH 47
  16. AA ATL 46 (CLUB)
  17. AA BNA 46 (CLUB)
  18. AA LAS 45
  19. AA PIT 43 (CLUB)
  20. AA STL 40 (CLUB)
  21. AA IND 39
  22. AA DTW 38
  23. AA DEN 36 (CLUB)
  24. AA TPA 36 (CLUB)
  25. AA IAH 35 (CLUB)
  26. AA SAN 34 (CLUB - CONTRACT)
  27. AA SEA 33 (CLUB)
  28. AA AUS 32 (CLUB)
  29. AA CVG 32
  30. AA CLE 31
here's what I found fascinating and surprising...
  • BOS and JFK are almost tied, and JFK is a hub.
  • WOW, there are even more CLT flights than I expected. DFW has almost as many as ORD and MIA combined.
  • PHL has more flights than MIA...I expected the opposite.
  • after the hubs and BOS, the next cluster is all about the same lower 50's, but surprised how identical they seem for numbers: (SFO/MCO/RDU...3 completely different types of markets)
  • next batch in the 40s. I'm with others, surprised at how many flights from Columbus CMH
  • and DENVER wow had no idea that many flights and I fly out of there often. Impressive.
  • for what seems like a high number of posts from or about Austin on this forum, I really expected more flights from Austin and it ranking higher than it does. Surprised I guess.
  • would be interesting to see passenger numbers for these cities (or top 30 or whatever), if they stay in the same order or change based on aircraft mix
  • definitely would be interesting to see revenue numbers too. I imagine we could get the pax numbers but not the $

Last edited by LovePrunes; May 31, 2017 at 12:18 am
Old May 31, 2017, 12:43 am

Programs: DL PM; UA 1K; AA 1MM
Originally Posted by LovePrunes
[*]for what seems like a high number of posts from or about Austin on this forum, I really expected more flights from Austin and it ranking higher than it does. Surprised I guess.[*]would be interesting to see passenger numbers for these cities (or top 30 or whatever), if they stay in the same order or change based on aircraft mix[/LIST]
AUS was lower in the rankings than I expected, though that's more a nature of some of the surprises above it (CMH, IND) than the actual number of flights (32) which I could have ballparked.

That said, your other point is critical here. As I mentioned in an earlier post of CMH's 47 flights, 37 are Eagle and a number of those are 50-seaters. AUS meanwhile is mostly mainline and a good number of their DFW and LAX flights are even on the 32B. So AUS would definitely leapfrog some of the cities above it based on passenger count.
Old May 31, 2017, 5:23 am

Programs: Non-Affiliated
Originally Posted by grrizzli
The proper phrasing is "#15 will shock you."
Or if it was like so many websites (weather.com, I'm looking at YOU...)

#15 Will SHOCK you.
Old May 31, 2017, 6:53 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Coming back to this. For Sunday, June 4 from CMH, I see:

6x DFW
1x LAX
6x PHL
2x PHX
8x CLT
9x ORD
3x MIA
1x JFK
6x LGA
5x DCA

So yeah, 47, wow. It's almost entirely Eagle though (mix of 2-class and 1-class planes). Only mainline is DFW (6x MD-80...so that's where they went! ), LAX (1x 319), PHX (2x 319) and one of the PHL flights (1x E90). The other other 37 flights are all Eagle, so by passenger count CMH probably falls down the list quite a bit. Still, impressive number of flights for that outstation.
Isn't CMH a LUS FA base? Seem to have heard FAs saying they were CMH based.
Old May 31, 2017, 6:58 am

Programs: AA PLT Pro 2MM, DL Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Ambassador + LT Plat, COFC Venture X, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
No LUS F/A bases are CLT, DCA, PHL, and PHX
Old May 31, 2017, 8:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
Originally Posted by ashill
And LGA even has more passengers than JFK. That surprises me almost as much as how many flights CMH has. I guess there's something to being not terribly close to any of the AA hubs and in the middle of the country and thus able to have service to all nine hubs (counting NYC as one big hub). (CMH is not an airport I would have put on a list of outstations with service to all
hubs.)

I wish AA would move some of those LGA flights over to JFK given the nightmare parking/traffic conditions at LGA during the construction. JFK is such an easier airport to deal with than LGA, despite the Van Wyck. (But I know this swap could never happen because of slot restrictions in place at both airports.)
Old May 31, 2017, 8:21 am

Programs: DL DM, AA EXP, various hotel
Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
Is it possible you were flying on a Republic-operated flight? A lot of them are (or at least used to be) CMH-based.
Old May 31, 2017, 8:29 am

Programs: AA PP 1.8MM, PC Spire, Hertz 5*, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by ESpen36
I wish AA would move some of those LGA flights over to JFK given the nightmare parking/traffic conditions at LGA during the construction. JFK is such an easier airport to deal with than LGA, despite the Van Wyck. (But I know this swap could never happen because of slot restrictions in place at both airports.)
LGA is better for those travelling to NY downtown.

I prefer LGA for travel to NY and JFK for transfers in NY.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.