Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Surprising Airports with no lounge access for AA elites

Surprising Airports with no lounge access for AA elites

Old May 26, 2017, 6:40 am

Programs: DL PM, Hilton/Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by aztimm
All that said, I do wonder how many people purposely plan to arrive early for a domestic flight, say IAH-PHX/LAX and would pay to make it worthwhile for AA.
For me, I can work pretty much anywhere (unless I'm needed/wanted on-site at a client). Sometimes I have, say, a 4:30 flight from DFW, and even though my home and office are 15 minutes away, my calendar could be slammed with meetings from 1-4. Being able to pop over to DFW at lunch and camp out in the AC means I'm not juggling emails, phone calls, bags, chasing my uber driver down the street (because they never just drive to GPS coordinates and STOP), security, and so on in the hour or so before my flight.

As an added bonus, if something cancels and I want to take an earlier flight, I'm already at the airport.

That, coupled with my usage during connections, locations at most of the airports my work takes me to, and the ability to use locations overseas even when not flying AA make it more than worthwhile to me. But having 4 clubs at DFW is a big part of why it's worthwhile.
Old May 26, 2017, 7:19 am

Programs: DL DM/2MM, MR Ambassador, National EE
Originally Posted by SeeBuyFly
Bad subject line...there is no "lounge access for elites" anywhere in the USfor domestic flights, using the FT meaning of the term (elite = someone with FF status). Unless you used "elite" in the colloquial sense of "rich person".
Was going to post pretty much the same thing. Lounge access has nothing to do w/ being "elite", even non-"elite" pax can purchase it.
Old May 26, 2017, 8:23 am

Programs: AA EXP/2MM, SPG Lifetime Platinum, Marriott PLT, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by rxgeek
Locals think tOSU is just as good. CMH just finished a nice remodel and still no lounge, just a USO.
Probably because they are not subject to the salary cap that NFL teams are...
Old May 26, 2017, 8:30 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by SeeBuyFly
Bad subject line...there is no "lounge access for elites" anywhere in the USfor domestic flights, using the FT meaning of the term (elite = someone with FF status). Unless you used "elite" in the colloquial sense of "rich person".
Originally Posted by krlcomm
Was going to post pretty much the same thing. Lounge access has nothing to do w/ being "elite", even non-"elite" pax can purchase it.
Huh? Sure it does. As a Plat or better elite I get access to lounges when flying on trips with same-day international long-hauls - including on the domestic legs connecting to/from my longhauls. So flying DEN-DFW-CDG, I have lounge access at DEN and DFW, because of my elite status.

Elite status doesn't always provide lounge access, but to say it has nothing to do with it is patently false.
Old May 26, 2017, 8:59 am

Programs: IB+ Emerald (Platino), M&M Senator (Gold), Meli Rewards Platino, NH Platinum
Hey. A basic question - OW Elites (and AA too) can access OW lounges (like BA) when flying domestically with AA from the airports that do not have Admiral Club? Like IAD for example. I remember that in IAH (T-D) they were not allowing the access to BA Lounge when flying with AA (T-A) and the excuse was the capacity.
Old May 26, 2017, 9:08 am

Programs: MR LTT, BA Gold, AA LTP, UA Silver
Originally Posted by Marcin83
Hey. A basic question - OW Elites (and AA too) can access OW lounges (like BA) when flying domestically with AA from the airports that do not have Admiral Club? Like IAD for example.
No, only non-AA OW Sapphire and Emeralds are allowed access when traveling on itineraries solely on North American flights within or between the U.S., Canada, Mexico (except Mexico City), the Bahamas, Bermuda and the Caribbean. For details see oneworld lounge access for frequent flyers by tier status at this link.
Old May 26, 2017, 9:12 am

Programs: IB+ Emerald (Platino), M&M Senator (Gold), Meli Rewards Platino, NH Platinum
Originally Posted by aaupgrade
No, only non-AA OW Sapphire and Emeralds are allowed access when traveling on itineraries solely on North American flights within or between the U.S., Canada, Mexico (except Mexico City), the Bahamas, Bermuda and the Caribbean. For details see oneworld lounge access for frequent flyers by tier status at this link.
Right, thats what I thought.
Thus it was just a stupid excuse (the capacity) when a dragon in BA Galleries in IAH was denying the access to CX-Emerald who was flying with AA to some domestic AA destination (I witnessed the situation and the lounge was not too crowded).
Old May 26, 2017, 1:10 pm

Programs: Delta Silver Medallion, United Gold, US Airways silver
Brief history of airline clubs @ CMH

Originally Posted by rxgeek
Locals think tOSU is just as good. CMH just finished a nice remodel and still no lounge, just a USO.
In the good ole days, they had a TWA Ambassador Club. I bought a lifetime membership that was converted into a three-year AAdmirals Club membership when AA "AAquired' TWA. The attendant, Sabina, was lovely...

Then the space became the America West Presidents Club during the brief time CMH was an AWA hub. Joined that too. For a time, DL had an "unattended" Crown Room on the B concourse. Was a member there. Members were provided a code to enter.

AA does pretty good business @ CMH these days; comparable to DL and WN I suspect. The remodeled airport is really nice, but alas, no airline clubs remain. Would love to see an Admirals Club, but very unlikely. Maybe with the new John Glenn moniker?

Old May 26, 2017, 2:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by Marcin83
Hey. A basic question - OW Elites (and AA too) can access OW lounges (like BA) when flying domestically with AA from the airports that do not have Admiral Club? Like IAD for example. I remember that in IAH (T-D) they were not allowing the access to BA Lounge when flying with AA (T-A) and the excuse was the capacity.
Capacity is a valid (if crappy) excuse for not allowing access (i.e. they can say we are over capacity so we are only allowing people on our flights in).

But if they deny access to a non-AA OWE on the sole basis they are flying domestically, that's against the rules.

In your situation, because they phrased it as a capacity issue they weren't breaking the rules.
Old May 26, 2017, 3:29 pm

Programs: Ikon Pass Full + AS Gold + Marriott Titanium + Hilton Gold. Recovering UA Plat. LT lounge AA+DL+UA
Originally Posted by ashill
Not to mention JAX, IND, and GRB!
In the for what it is worth department, GRB has two SkyBox lounges which offer recliners and non-alcoholic refreshments. I've been granted access at check-in by showing an airline club card to the agent.
Old May 26, 2017, 3:44 pm

Programs: AA EXP/1mm, Marriott Titanium/LT Gold, UA Silver
Originally Posted by morrisunc
LAS should have a club.
Totally agree. The Priority Pass lounge in TD is a joke and I dont have a platinum Amex so rarely worth paying $50 to go in there
Old May 26, 2017, 5:08 pm

Programs: AA, WN, UA, Bonvoy, Hertz
Originally Posted by aztimm
All that said, I do wonder how many people purposely plan to arrive early for a domestic flight, say IAH-PHX/LAX and would pay to make it worthwhile for AA.
At certain airports, like SNA, I would definitely have no issue arriving early (which means more than an hour before the flight) to try out the lounge (especially if I am with the family). That is another interesting example of an unusual airport to have a lounge. The demographics make it an easy decision, but the volume is still a bit iffy to justify the operations perhaps. I think they still have the landline phones that you can use to make calls out. Neato. With the red-eyes at ONT (no lounge), I wonder how comparable the volume is versus SNA these days.

Others like ATL are very important to make a non-hub market, but big market useful.

Interestingly, I wouldn't arrive early to most airports like LAX/ORD/JFK due to the lounge. Maybe that will eventually change, but for the moment they are more hassle than useful.

I like the purpose of DFW and PHX (even took the long hike to use a lounge when traveling on SWA), but the transit times are so short, there are many times where I have to just move quickly between gates.

Rasheed
Old May 26, 2017, 5:59 pm

Programs: American Airlines Platinum, National Executive
Montreal does not have lounge access. Add that to a US cell phone not working due to Canada being "international" = disaster when AA flights are cancelled.
Old May 26, 2017, 7:51 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT; HH Diamond; AS 75K
SEA - used to have the best club at the airport. None now.
Old May 26, 2017, 9:09 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Surprised there were no OW lounges at YVR Vancouver.

Also surprised nothing at FCO Rome.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.