Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

BA J Frequent Flyers - Opinion on AA Transatlantic J

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA J Frequent Flyers - Opinion on AA Transatlantic J

Search this Thread

Old May 23, 2017, 7:25 pm

Programs: AA EXP (owe), BA Silver (ows), AB Silver (owr), WN A+/CP, IHG Spire AMB, Avis First
Originally Posted by wrp96
Since when is BA J all aisle access?
sorry, error - it's most definitely not
Old May 23, 2017, 9:16 pm

Programs: Skywards Platinum
Originally Posted by rfrost
BA's IFE, particularly on the super-high J 747's, is much better
So vastly different to my experience. The screens on BA 747 are complete junk and the content limited. The AA IFE screen quality, size, and content (including live tv and extensive flight maps) just seems vastly superior.
Old May 24, 2017, 5:56 am
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by whimike
So vastly different to my experience. The screens on BA 747 are complete junk and the content limited. The AA IFE screen quality, size, and content (including live tv and extensive flight maps) just seems vastly superior.
This does depend on what 747 configuration you get. The re-furbished planes, with more J seats, have an excellent IFE. The older cabins have the rather sad offering you refer to, and it really does not stack up well for response speed, content and view-ability against anything in the AA range, I suspect even including the tablets on the 767s.

I believe the chances are you will now get a refurbished beast, but last time I did the JFK-LHR on a 747 sadly I didn't - although as it was a night flight it didn't really matter and the upper deck seating and the private feel of the cabin probably did beat anything AA could offer.

It comes down to whether you want to take the chance, and perhaps also your flight time.
Old May 24, 2017, 9:31 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador & LT Titanium, UA Silver, AA PLT
The seats on the AA 777-200 is far superior to the BA 747-400. The upper deck is a cool novelty, but I wouldn't make a habit of flying BA just for that. If you're EXP/Emerald, BA's First Class lounge in T3 is far superior to the AA First Class lounge - not even close. That doesn't really matter, since if you're emerald, you can choose either lounge, no matter who you're flying. On-board food & beverage - I didn't think either is very good, so I'll say it's a toss-up.

Club Europe makes me long for US domestic F
Old May 24, 2017, 9:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by newbiztraveler
If you're EXP/Emerald, BA's First Class lounge in T3 is far superior to the AA First Class lounge - not even close. That doesn't really matter, since if you're emerald, you can choose either lounge, no matter who you're flying.
At T3, you would be better served skipping the AA and BA lounges altogether and heading straight for the CX lounge.
Old May 24, 2017, 9:50 am

Programs: US-Plt;Concierge key; American AAirpass; Delta Silver;Starwood - Platinum; Amex Cent
Originally Posted by newbiztraveler
The seats on the AA 777-200 is far superior to the BA 747-400. The upper deck is a cool novelty, but I wouldn't make a habit of flying BA just for that. If you're EXP/Emerald, BA's First Class lounge in T3 is far superior to the AA First Class lounge - not even close. That doesn't really matter, since if you're emerald, you can choose either lounge, no matter who you're flying. On-board food & beverage - I didn't think either is very good, so I'll say it's a toss-up.

Club Europe makes me long for US domestic F
I'm on this route every month and have noticed a huge increase in the number of brits(assuming they are ba flyers) on my aa metal flights. Hard product on AA on all planes is vastly superior to any BA plane. BA j is crap.
Old May 24, 2017, 10:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by morrisunc
I'm on this route every month and have noticed a huge increase in the number of brits(assuming they are ba flyers) on my aa metal flights. Hard product on AA on all planes is vastly superior to any BA plane. BA j is crap.
Agreed. Except for the 10 UD window seats, where I think I'd be relatively indifferent between those and AA 77W, as both have pros/cons.

Unfortunately I'm "stuck" on a BA 777 for an upcoming trip; I'm connecting from Europe, and transferring to AA for the TATL would mean I get home ~3 hours later given the schedules. I'll suffer on BA...
Old May 24, 2017, 11:31 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by no2chem
If you like soda, they serve it from dinky little 8oz cans (you get the glass... but still, make sure to ask for multiple). Crew can be really annoying sometimes, enforcing things like having your seat belt visible at the slightest amount of turbulence, window shade up during landing (will wake you up to make sure) and having the stupid monitor stowed away which means you can't watch anything.
Actually it's 150ml which is less than 6oz (?) and which makes a perfect mixer for 5fl of gin, vodka or whatever. I suspect that AA FAs enforce the seat belt rule if the Captain put on the sign. They certainly did the other day.

Now I am quite easily pleased and my findings were based on several flights now from LAX not JFK. I like the seating on AA, I thought that meals were really pretty good and well presented. I intensely dislike Champagne being served in a tumbler and indeed the wines as well. A shame as the selection was good. Where I think that BA wins hands down is service delivery - there seems to be no personality aboard with the LAX International crews. They serve by rote - they are not unpleasant in the least but there is no ambiance. This may not apply at all to JFK flights - remember too that dining is before departure so that people can maximise sleep. This may suit you or not.

Altogether, there is little to choose but truth to tell American feels like a downgraded First Class product whilst BA feels like an upgraded Economy product. I hope that helps.
Old May 24, 2017, 1:07 pm

Programs: Skywards Platinum
Originally Posted by NWIFlyer
This does depend on what 747 configuration you get. The re-furbished planes, with more J seats, have an excellent IFE. The older cabins have the rather sad offering you refer to, and it really does not stack up well for response speed, content and view-ability against anything in the AA range, I suspect even including the tablets on the 767s.

I believe the chances are you will now get a refurbished beast, but last time I did the JFK-LHR on a 747 sadly I didn't - although as it was a night flight it didn't really matter and the upper deck seating and the private feel of the cabin probably did beat anything AA could offer.

It comes down to whether you want to take the chance, and perhaps also your flight time.
I just flew a 747 from LHR-PHX a few days ago and it had the old bad system. I flew YVR-LHR about 2 months ago and got the old system. I flew the 787-800 about a week ago and got what appears to still be a crappy system, surely that would be the newer one?

I can deal wth sluggish interface, what I don't like is poor image quality and small screen size.
Old May 24, 2017, 3:01 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the advice everyone. Looks like I've made the right choice to try AA out.

Anyone have seat seat suggestions for the outbound 772 or 773 on the return (for a couple)? And someone mentioned the meal on the overnight leg is served prior to departure, can you expand?
Old May 24, 2017, 3:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by andymcdonnell
And someone mentioned the meal on the overnight leg is served prior to departure, can you expand?
That is something BA do, not AA.
Old May 24, 2017, 3:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by andymcdonnell
Anyone have seat seat suggestions for the outbound 772 or 773 on the return (for a couple)?
For the 772 there are two seat types. Here's the two threads discussing the best seats on each type:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...eat-seats.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...eat-seats.html

For the 773, referred to as 77W by AA, look http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...aster-thd.html
Old May 24, 2017, 3:25 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador & LT Titanium, UA Silver, AA PLT
Originally Posted by wrp96
At T3, you would be better served skipping the AA and BA lounges altogether and heading straight for the CX lounge.
How did I not know about this... next time!
Old May 24, 2017, 3:39 pm

Programs: American Exec Plat, Hyatt Refugeeist, Marriot Gold, Air Canada Cattle Class, Korean Air Morning Plat
Originally Posted by LonghornSF
Hard product

Soft product

There's obvious a lot of variance here, but on average I've had better luck with BA's crews. They seem to at least take the concept of service seriously and have minimum quality standards, whereas on AA I've met far too many of the "we're primarily here for your safety" types.

[B]
..........boy I have to agree with you Longhorn. I hate to say it because I want AA to be best, they are not. Not by a long shot.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.