Community
Wiki Posts
Search

First Class "Refreshments"

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18, 2017, 8:40 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum
AA never ceases to surprise

Last month in paid F DFW-LGA I was denied the cheese plate from Y. I am Plat and the FA said she couldn't get me one bc there were to many ExPlat in Y that would be wanting them first. I even offered to pay for it as if I was sitting in Y. She did eventually bring one up 45 minutes later, but after the hassel next time I'll just enjoy my cookie.
Old Sep 18, 2017, 11:47 am

Programs: AA, DL, Avis, Enterprise, National, IHG, HH, SPG/MR
Originally Posted by Aroeder
Last month in paid F DFW-LGA I was denied the cheese plate from Y. I am Plat and the FA said she couldn't get me one bc there were to many ExPlat in Y that would be wanting them first. I even offered to pay for it as if I was sitting in Y. She did eventually bring one up 45 minutes later, but after the hassel next time I'll just enjoy my cookie.
Interesting. I had a late flight from DFW to BOS a few weeks ago on which the (a?) cheese plate was actually an offering for F passengers. I don't think Y passengers got anything.
Old Sep 20, 2017, 7:45 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by kb9522
Interesting. I had a late flight from DFW to BOS a few weeks ago on which the (a?) cheese plate was actually an offering for F passengers. I don't think Y passengers got anything.
Yes, I was surprised by this too last month on the 8:15pm DFW-BOS. Offerings were a cheese plate or a veggie and hummus plate, similar to the plated refreshments on pre-8pm flights. I was under the impression that post-8pm refreshment flights got warm nuts and a cookie (FWIW I did not receive a cookie on that flight). My friend on a post-8pm DFW-SFO that same day reported a similar experience.

Perhaps this is indicative of a genuine enhancement to AA catering? Or just a "bank error in your favor" situation for both of us?
Old Sep 20, 2017, 9:57 pm

Programs: QF WP, AA EXP
I do a lot of post 8PM ORD-LAX flights. I've just learned to grab something from Frontera Grill to take with me as I usually haven't had dinner yet. It's always better than what they serve in F regardless of time of day. Sad that I have to do that though even when paying for F.

Sounds like they have finally realized it's absurd that someone sitting in the back has access to better food than the people in F and added something more than the nuts and cookie.
Old Sep 20, 2017, 10:00 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Avis PC; Hertz PC; Marriott LT Gold; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Aroeder
What was the F item they were offering?
Old Sep 20, 2017, 11:19 pm

Originally Posted by dkc192
Yes, I was surprised by this too last month on the 8:15pm DFW-BOS. Offerings were a cheese plate or a veggie and hummus plate, similar to the plated refreshments on pre-8pm flights. I was under the impression that post-8pm refreshment flights got warm nuts and a cookie (FWIW I did not receive a cookie on that flight). My friend on a post-8pm DFW-SFO that same day reported a similar experience.

Perhaps this is indicative of a genuine enhancement to AA catering? Or just a "bank error in your favor" situation for both of us?
Now that you mention it, I recall getting warmed mixed nuts before the cheese plate as well. I only remember it because on all of my other flights the mixed nuts have never been warmed.

I've got a few red eye AA flights coming up next week in F... will report back on the offerings.
Old Sep 30, 2017, 8:31 pm

Red eye in F tonight. Service listed as "refreshments"... Utter crap. No PDB, no in flight service beyond drinks... Basically paid F got Y service. Glad I'm not paying for the flight otherwise I would be inclined to complain, loudly to AA.

So I guess the cheese plate was a one-off occurrence.
Old Oct 1, 2017, 9:51 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum; Hilton Diamond
Wow. I usually get a PDB and hummus and pitas on the red eye.
Old Oct 1, 2017, 4:28 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1k, Marriott Gold, HH Gold, X Elite+
I’m a regular on post 8pm meal distance flights and as far as I can remember (since the re-revised meals) it’s been a cheese plate/charcuterie offering. There are nuts, but no cookies. Side note: cheese plate was recently updated and I’m mad as hell about the inclusion of blue cheese.

My 11pm red eyes are nuts and cookies. And I often get 2 as a prize for being the only idiot awake.
Old Oct 1, 2017, 6:03 pm

Programs: AA EXP, IHG PLT, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Amtrak, WN
Originally Posted by Kreative03
My 11pm red eyes are nuts and cookies. And I often get 2 as a prize for being the only idiot awake.
With an attentive crew, these flights are sometimes the ones I get the drunkest on.
AANYC1981 likes this.
Old Oct 2, 2017, 8:33 am

Programs: AA ExP, Marriott Amb, National EAE, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat (RIP), US CP (RIP)
Originally Posted by Kreative03
Side note: cheese plate was recently updated and I’m mad as hell about the inclusion of blue cheese.
On my cheese plate last night there was something that looked like blue cheese in the dim lighting but turned out to be havarti with dill.
silverthief2 likes this.
Old Nov 20, 2017, 8:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
I take the 830pm DFW-GSO flight in F often. Some days it has a dinner (usually a wrap or salad w protein), some days snack basket. It is listed to have R for refreshments (being around 1,000 miles it gets means during meal times normally). Is this just a frequent catering error? It happens around 50% of the time I fly it. It's not downline catering because the morning flight serves continental breakfast.
Old Nov 20, 2017, 9:48 am

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, DL GM, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by AlwaysAisle
It is possible that there are more FF upgrade passengers paying Main Cabin fares sitting in F than passengers who actually paid F fare. Least that is what a representative from AA said on one hour TV program on CNBC about American Airlines which was aired more than few years ago. The representative from AA said that typical picture on domestic 737 flights is that all 16 F seats are occupied by FF upgrades.
AA is definitely no longer filling domestic F with 16 e500-upgraders. On my flights this year I would estimate that on average half of the passengers are paid First (not necessarily full F, but discounted revenue F) plus a few mileage redeemers, and maybe 4-6 upgraders.
Old Nov 20, 2017, 1:47 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum
Originally Posted by fastflyer
AA is definitely no longer filling domestic F with 16 e500-upgraders. On my flights this year I would estimate that on average half of the passengers are paid First (not necessarily full F, but discounted revenue F) plus a few mileage redeemers, and maybe 4-6 upgraders.
Absolutely. Looking at what will likely become my travel routine over the next few months (weekly trips to a client in MSP), it looks like the F fare is about $100-150 more than the average Y fare most weeks, and this is during peak travel periods (Monday mornings and Thursday evenings). At these fares, I'm sure AA is selling quite a few F seats compared to what F fares used to be (sometimes 3 or even 4x the price of a Y ticket, which was often outrageous). f I have no problem expensing the Y fare and just paying the extra $100 out of pocket for the guaranteed F seat, and the quick and easy EQMs.
Old Nov 20, 2017, 1:59 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Ambassador; Hyatt Globalist; AA EXP; UA 1K
Glad that I survived 30-ish late-evening ORD-LAX/SFO flights with cheese plate and hummus in FC.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.