Old Jun 4, 2017, 12:39 pm

Originally Posted by sbrower
I am the OP.
Hence the
Old Jun 4, 2017, 1:22 pm

Programs: AA, DL, Avis, Enterprise, National, IHG, HH, SPG/MR
I am the OP.

I agree you can find out by calling (that's what I did), but the agent didn't know what "R" meant and, when she called, all she was told was "Refreshments." She still didn't know what that meant. Further, as I clarified, I am annoyed that AA does not list the meal service in the app or the website.

Further, as I posted, even searching the unlimited and omniscient Flyertalk didn't help, since the word "refreshments" (until I created this post) didn't even exist in the history of the AA forum.

So, back to my point. It isn't a tragedy. But I do find it annoying that the meal types can't be found and, even when you find the meal type, AA itself doesn't have any information (by app, website OR by phone) to tell you what that means.
Of all the things to be annoyed about, that should be close to last on the list. A call to AA clarified the type of service. Even if the details weren't explicitly stated, the contextual clues make it abundantly clear that full meal service would not be provided for your (only) three hour flight.

Certainly you have some constructive criticism that meal info could be made more readily available through more convenient channels. I think that gets lost in your post though.
Old Jun 4, 2017, 1:41 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

Programs: AA (Life Plat), Marriott (Life Titanium) and every other US program
Originally Posted by kb9522
Of all the things to be annoyed about, that should be close to last on the list. A call to AA clarified the type of service. Even if the details weren't explicitly stated, the contextual clues make it abundantly clear that full meal service would not be provided for your (only) three hour flight.

Certainly you have some constructive criticism that meal info could be made more readily available through more convenient channels. I think that gets lost in your post though.
I am happy to consider criticism.

I must admit, I get particularly annoyed at companies that "remove" the ability to get information by computer instead of "adding" information/capability. And while I now know what "refreshments" means, the fact that AA couldn't even tell me what it meant, isn't helpful. (There have been times, in airline history, where a first class snack on AA was a perfectly acceptable meal).

Last edited by sbrower; Jun 4, 2017 at 5:26 pm
Old Jun 4, 2017, 1:48 pm

Programs: AA EXP
I must admit, I get particularly annoyed at companies that "remove" the ability to get information by computer instead of "adding" information/capability. And while I know know what "refreshments" means, the fact that AA couldn't even tell me what it meant, isn't helpful.
They do make this info annoyingly hard to find, given the trivial effort it'd take to add a short explainer link to reservations.
Old Jun 4, 2017, 2:25 pm

Programs: AA, DL, Avis, Enterprise, National, IHG, HH, SPG/MR
I must admit, I get particularly annoyed at companies that "remove" the ability to get information by computer instead of "adding" information/capability.
Originally Posted by rjw242
They do make this info annoyingly hard to find, given the trivial effort it'd take to add a short explainer link to reservations.
Agreed.
Old Jun 4, 2017, 3:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by enviroian
3.5 hour flight and only snacks?

I flew man-lhr last week on ba business and had a drink service and hot breakfast.

45 minute flight.
Apples vs Oranges.... That is not a domestic US flight
Old Jun 4, 2017, 9:58 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum
My recent experiences with "refreshment" flights are as follows:

All flights that operate after the meal window ends at 8:00PM (currently all premium transcon flights are exceptions, as are certain LUS transcontinental flights that operate from CLT and PHL), that are coded as such receive warm nuts and cookies.

Breakfast hour refreshment flights receive a plated continental breakfast consisting of a fruit bowl, coffee cake, and Greek yogurt, with China and silverware. Lunch and afternoon flights that either are below 900 miles or are between 900-1,300 miles but operate between 1:30-4:00pm, receive warm nuts with the first beverage service and a plated snack, with two options, often consisting of a charcuterie plate, fruit and cheese plate, hummus, or rarely a buffalo chicken salad, packaged crackers, also served on China and with silverware.
Old Jun 5, 2017, 6:25 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Thank you for that - I now know what to expect on a forthcoming flight. I have to say what BA serving a hot breakfast MAN-LHR has to do with the price of fish is beyond me.
Old Jun 7, 2017, 9:52 am

Programs: American Gold, United Silver
Thanks for the thread

I hope Im not the only one, but I have had the same frustration with not being able to find out what a "refreshment" was. For those who are wondering why a meal matters, if you are going cross country, say ATL to SFO have a short layover in DFW you have a 6 hour flight with break only 35 mins to change planes. Not the end of the world, and I can ask to buy a meal from coach if I want, but it is annoying when paying for first not to get something more than a cookie on a 3.5 hour flight. So, once again, thanks to the creator and OP!
rayfes likes this.
Old Jun 7, 2017, 10:01 am

Programs: MAR AMB, WOH Explorist, AA EXP, UA 2P
20:15 DFW-DCA - nuts and a cookie. There's no competition, so I get it, but you would think a fairly important route would have an exception.
Old Jun 7, 2017, 11:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by iadisgreat
20:15 DFW-DCA - nuts and a cookie. There's no competition, so I get it, but you would think a fairly important route would have an exception.
Or at the very least they should offer decent cookies, not the disgusting "warm" ones they changed to after dumbo Parker took over.
Old Jun 7, 2017, 11:55 am

I have always opted for Virgin America when I go DC-Dallas. While there aren't as many flight options as AA the first class service was always wonderful.

Virgin's policy was meals on all flights over two hours I believe. Very sensible. But we've seen what happens to airlines with such customer-friendly policies...
Old Jun 7, 2017, 2:12 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
wouldn't this type of flight qualify for the plated hummus / antipasto plate option? I'm so confused as to when and on what flights that appears on.
Old Jun 7, 2017, 3:04 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum
Originally Posted by AANYC1981
wouldn't this type of flight qualify for the plated hummus / antipasto plate option? I'm so confused as to when and on what flights that appears on.
No, as it's outside of the meal windows. See my post above; plated snacks are only offered if the flight is between 5:00 am - 8:00 pm. DCA-DFW is long enough to qualify for a full meal at all times of the day. If it were shorter, such as DCA-MIA, and operated between 1:30-4:00 pm, it would get the plated snack, or too short to receive a meal at all, such as DCA-MCO, it would receive the plated snack options all day.
Old Jun 7, 2017, 4:52 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Originally Posted by GotCalcio4
No, as it's outside of the meal windows. See my post above; plated snacks are only offered if the flight is between 5:00 am - 8:00 pm. DCA-DFW is long enough to qualify for a full meal at all times of the day. If it were shorter, such as DCA-MIA, and operated between 1:30-4:00 pm, it would get the plated snack, or too short to receive a meal at all, such as DCA-MCO, it would receive the plated snack options all day.
A couple months ago I flew DFW/MIA mid afternoon (3pM) and got essentially dinner service instead of plated snack. A few months back mid morning MIA/RDU and got plated snack instead of the snack basket. Both were nice surprises.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.