Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Missing delayed flight that left early, no announcement: issues, recourse

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Missing delayed flight that left early, no announcement: issues, recourse

Search this Thread

Old May 28, 2017, 5:14 am

Programs: AA EXP/5 MM, BA Blue Bayou, HH LT Diamond
"If you've never missed a flight you've spent too much time in airports."

(And I have missed a few)
Old May 31, 2017, 11:42 am

Programs: UA 1MM, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Happened to me on UA @ YYZ. Flight delayed 3 hours due to equipment. Went to AC lounge. After 30 minutes in the lounge the display board went from "Delayed" to "Boarding" at "Gate XX."

Ran to the displayed gate which was completely empty. Ran in panic to find any gate with a UA agent. Found an agent who told us that the gate changed. Ran to that gate and found out the plane just departed. Agent told us that they paged us multiple times.

To their credit, US booked us on AC direct flight to replace our missed flight which was a connection.
Old May 31, 2017, 11:44 am

Location: San Francisco, CA Frmr AA Plat AW Plat Frmr UA 1K Frmr HGP Plat now just UA 1MM/1P
Back in the day of America West (America Worst), I used to fly from Austin to Phoenix nearly weekly.
I learned after the first time or two that delayed flights don't mean you can wander off to the lounge or bar until 30 minutes before the new departure time.
AW would frequently bring in a new plane and leave hours before the announced time of departure due to delay.
Sucks but would you rather leave earlier than (delayed flight) expectation or have the airline be good to its "word"?
Old May 31, 2017, 11:52 am

Programs: Lifetime Plat/4mm miles, Starwood, HiltonHonors
Originally Posted by SamOF
That's a lot of time wasted over an entire life...
And hopefully much of that "wasted" time was properly enjoyed.

And RE the point at hand:
- Many if not most airport schedule monitors are not under the control of the airline, so the data is often dodgy to start with
- Airlines can roll out replacement A/C, especially in hubs, so IRROP times can change quickly
Old May 31, 2017, 1:08 pm

Programs: AA PP 1.8MM, PC Spire, Hertz 5*, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by c1ue
Sucks but would you rather leave earlier than (delayed flight) expectation or have the airline be good to its "word"?
I would rather have AA be good to its word and communicate to me that it has changed the flight delay to an earlier time.
Old May 31, 2017, 1:20 pm

Programs: AA
Many ways to get AA flight alerts

Many of you seem to be missing the many ways that a passenger can get notifications for flight delays.

On aa.com, you can sign up for BeNotified in your AAdvantage profile.
Or you can look up your flight status and "Get alerts for this flight" by text or email.
Or if you have the mobile app, you will receive push notifications.
Or if you add your mobile boarding pass to the Apple Wallet application.

All of these will alert you to the "undelay" type of situation mentioned by the OP. Any time the new ETD changes by 15 minutes or more, either forward or backward, the alert will go out.
Old May 31, 2017, 4:57 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT 3MM, Hilton/Marriott/SPG/Club Carlson GLD, IHG PLT
Originally Posted by mefoghorn7
Many of you seem to be missing the many ways that a passenger can get notifications for flight delays.

Or you can look up your flight status and "Get alerts for this flight" by text or email.

All of these will alert you to the "undelay" type of situation mentioned by the OP. Any time the new ETD changes by 15 minutes or more, either forward or backward, the alert will go out.
Along with all these alerts, you also have alerts from tripit, tripcase, awardwallet and other flight itinerary manager app that you use.
Old May 31, 2017, 11:18 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Former EXP/Current PLT / Total Rewards - Diamond / Hilton HHonors - Gold
I had this happen while I was sitting in the gate area. Back before I had status, I mis-connected, and they put me on standby for the next flight. I sat at the gate, waiting for them to call me to the podium. They closed the door, I walked up to the podium and said "I guess I didn't make it?"

Gate agent (falsely) claimed he "called my name 5 times" to which I responded "I was sitting right there staring at you the entire time you were boarding the flight." He insisted he called me. It was my word against his. I ended up on the next flight, and it wasn't too big of a deal. But boy was I frustrated when I figured out he had sent that flight out with open seats when I had been sitting there waiting.
Old Jun 1, 2017, 5:31 am

Programs: Hilton HHonors Diamond,Bonvoy Platinum,Shangri-La Golden Circle Jade,LH SEN,AZ Gold,VS Elevate Gold
Originally Posted by arollins
when checking in, you should be at the gate for your original boarding time, not the new delayed time. Lesson learned, besides, as others have reported, some carriers and boarding earlier than what is mentioned for an earlier departure.
well I beg to differ on that. If I am given a boarding pass with a different departure time, then implicitly it means the flight is rescheduled - since it has been put black on white that the departure time has changed.
Old Jun 1, 2017, 6:26 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by adpucci
well I beg to differ on that. If I am given a boarding pass with a different departure time, then implicitly it means the flight is rescheduled - since it has been put black on white that the departure time has changed.
You are free to differ. But, that puts you at odds with reality at almost all stations on almost all carriers.

This is not to suggest that you must quietly fold your hands and sit waiting for 5 hours. Rather, it means asking an agent.

The same people who froth at the mouth here on FT about "rolling delays" in which a 30-minute delay is announced every 30 minutes, then froth at the mouth when a delay based on best information then available is posted and then changes because the circumstances of the delay change, a replacement aircraft or crew are located. What looks like a 2-hour repair may take 1-hour or 3 hours.
Old Jun 1, 2017, 6:31 am

Programs: MAR AMB, WOH Explorist, AA EXP, UA 2P
Originally Posted by Often1
You are free to differ. But, that puts you at odds with reality at almost all stations on almost all carriers.

This is not to suggest that you must quietly fold your hands and sit waiting for 5 hours. Rather, it means asking an agent.

The same people who froth at the mouth here on FT about "rolling delays" in which a 30-minute delay is announced every 30 minutes, then froth at the mouth when a delay based on best information then available is posted and then changes because the circumstances of the delay change, a replacement aircraft or crew are located. What looks like a 2-hour repair may take 1-hour or 3 hours.
Actually, the problem being discussed is that AA neither regularly sends out notifications nor updates the departure boards when a delay is rolled back, then proclaims, "Well, you should have been at the gate at the original departure time" as an excuse. Nothing to do with the fact that delays can change, it's all about notification.
Old Jun 1, 2017, 6:33 am

Programs: CoUniHound 1K 1MM, AA EXP 2MM, DL Plat, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by mefoghorn7

All of these notifications only work if AA Operations pushes the changes to the systems that update the apps, website, FDS, GA monitors, etc. That vital step is where AA falls down. Obviously someone at AA knows the status of the aircraft, the location of the crews, etc, and knows it very accurately. However, AA does a very poor job of getting that information to their customers. It's no better at getting the information to their front line staff either.

And welcome to FT, BTW.
Old Jun 1, 2017, 6:38 am

Originally Posted by frugaltraveler10012
Do I have any recourse here?
No, you dont. It's one of the most annoying things in travel but the airlines specifically say to stay in the gate area when a flight is delayed. Also, lounges rarely, if ever, announce that flights are boarding. This one's on you, buddy.
Old Jun 1, 2017, 8:07 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
I was recently in a situation at a smaller airport when a flight was being repeatedly delayed by weather. I was spending time at the nearby airport bar while my traveling companion was at the gate. All of a sudden, they get permission to board the flight and they started to board (about 45 minutes earlier than the last "official" boarding time I saw on the AA app). I never received an alert on my phone - I did hear the announcement on the intercom, and I received a text from my companion. I didn't appreciate the fact that I wasn't given a proper alert from AA about the new boarding time.

I've also been in situations where a flight has been delayed for several hours, and I decided not even to travel to the airport until about an hour before departure (this happened on a JFK to SFO flight, though admittedly not on AA). In this case, I received e-mails and text alerts from the carrier with the new departure and boarding times.

Bottom line, if airlines send out new departure times for delayed flights, then "undelay" them, they should make every effort to let passengers know. If the airline is unsure about the departure time, they shouldn't give out concrete later boarding times - just say the flight is "delayed" and give out more information later
Old Jun 1, 2017, 8:34 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by flyerCO
Problem some here are ignoring is that AA isn't just delaying a flight. They are in effect rescheduling a flight. If you check-in and get a BP that says 8PM departure, AA can't reasonably then say oh it's really a 430pm flight that is delayed and leave at 730 without all passengers. AA is in effect showing these flights as if they had a schedule change, not as a delayed flight.
This is my interpretation too. Once the new time is printed on a boarding pass, the OP is entitled to board until the cutoff time lapsed on what appears on the boarding pass.

OTOH, when my flight is delayed, I'm usually pretty obsessive about watching not only the airline's flight status info (and airport or lounge monitors, etc.) for updates, but I also like to watch flightaware.com and follow progress of the inbound aircraft too if that seems to be relevant.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.