Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Talk me in/out of this: transpacific J Class on AA over others

Old May 20, 17, 12:03 am
Original Poster

Programs: MP, BR

Background: fly mostly J for leisure and have never flown AA. Found a J fare in September HKG-LAX-SEA on AA that's cost 1/3 less compared to direct SEA routes on DL/NH/BR.

Can someone talk me in/out of this? Understand the 1-stop is part of the reason for the cheaper fare but given the additional mileage and points I certain don't mind. How does AA's J class compare to other airlines flying transpacific?

Did some digging in this forum and the only noticeable drop off in terms of flight experience is the food (vs CX/BR/JL). Can anyone share their experiences?

My only main concern is how will AA handle missed connections given the flight from LAX-SEA is the last flight out that day. Thanks
Old May 20, 17, 12:30 am

Programs: AA EXP, IHG PLT, Hilton Gold, Amtrak, WN
AA J on th 77W, which is what they fly between LAX and HKG, has a phenomenal hard product. This flight also has enhanced catering, mattress pads, and pajamas in J. The hard product on the AA 77W blows what DL offers out of the water. I bet it's nicer than the J product on JL, as well. Can't comment on BR, as I've never flown it. The only equivalent hard product is on CX, but they don't have mattress pads and all that.

Honestly, CX has downgraded catering so I don't think that is as much of an issue. I've flown the DFW-HKG flights in J, and I find the catering adequate to good. It should be better now on the LAX-HKG flight (at least AA touted it).

My misconnect experiences on AA have been subpar, but if you have travel insurance as a credit card benefit this becomes less of an issue.

I'd recommend AA. IMHO, the only real competitor here is CX. Do you have any status with AA/oneworld?
Old May 20, 17, 12:59 am
Original Poster

I wish I fly enough to earn some status in Oneworld but I've given up on trying to get anything besides the basic Green with Marco Polo Club (I have Silver with *A through BR but irrelevant here unless I fly BR). DL to SEA was an attractive option given that's the only direct flight available from HKG.

Got travel insurance which would cover delays/missed connections but just wanted to know given my unfamiliarity with AA or US regulations when it comes to missed connections. Last thing I want is to be stuck in LAX overnight after a 12 hour flight.
Old May 20, 17, 1:32 am

Programs: AA EXP
To me, the fact that the flight costs 1/3 less the price of the competition would be enough reason to fly AA. IMO, the catering on other airlines would not be worth that much extra money. Other posters have already pointed out the edge AA's hard product has over the competition as well.

I'd book with AA without any hesitation.
Old May 20, 17, 1:36 am

Programs: BAEC GGL+CCR, HH D, QFF, EB
I have had missed connections with AA due to weather and ATC delays, each time it caused an overnight misconnect in LAX. AA put me up in a hotel each time (without my asking - though I had gone to the Admirals lounge to reprint my BP) and gave me vouchers for food and drink (minor amounts though). Others I know haven't had hotels offered.
Old May 20, 17, 2:00 am

Programs: AA EXP, IHG PLT, Hilton Gold, Amtrak, WN
Originally Posted by Chromie25 View Post
I wish I fly enough to earn some status in Oneworld but I've given up on trying to get anything besides the basic Green with Marco Polo Club (I have Silver with *A through BR but irrelevant here unless I fly BR). DL to SEA was an attractive option given that's the only direct flight available from HKG.

Got travel insurance which would cover delays/missed connections but just wanted to know given my unfamiliarity with AA or US regulations when it comes to missed connections. Last thing I want is to be stuck in LAX overnight after a 12 hour flight.
If you have travel insurance that will cover a hotel due to a misconnect, what AA would do in the case of a misconnect is not important in my opinion. They will likely offer a substandard option, and only in the case of a mechanical delay. I have not had luck getting them to pay for a hotel foe weather and ATC delays like others here have. The hotel you'd select using your insurance would be nicer than what AA would offer.

If you truly want to fly direct, I'd stick with DL. Otherwise, I 100% recommend AA.
Old May 20, 17, 2:42 am
Original Poster

Thanks guys! Great responses here and just a bit of background, I'm based in HKG and I found this fare while chatting with my travel agent. Over here it seems like travel agents still have their advantages especially when no fare shows up when I try to book the same itinerary on AA's HK website.

Actually DL was never really an option unless it came cheap, because I haven't signed up on any Skyteam programs.
Old May 20, 17, 3:12 am

Programs: AA LT GLD 1MM
BR has a very similar hard product and better soft product. I.E. high end champagne.

But for 1/3 less I'd still choose AA.
Old May 20, 17, 4:13 am

Location: Bangkok, Thailand. No longer Palm Coast, FL though still exiled, again, from the Bay Area.
Programs: Only the good ones
Maybe search for the discussion about AA's issues getting LAX-HKG and HKG-LAX flights out on time. tom911 had some interesting experiences. Seems AA had some issues with 77W maintenance and availabilty, though the HKG-LAX-HKG flights I've flown around that same time seemed fine. I flew CX J in Nov and found it similar to AA's product. Service might be a little better on CX but YRMV there too. As far as food goes, go to the Wing in HKG or QF lounge at LAX and eat before the flight. The Haven is one of the best in the FC side, but the other side's pretty good as well. JL is pretty good if you get the right aircraft, though maybe they have UPG'd their fleet since I was last on them.

Can't speak to DL or BR, but saving money on flights is usually the best alternative since they all seem the same. Well, as long as you don't have to fly a substandard Russian or Chinese carrier.
Old May 20, 17, 8:20 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage EXPLAT, Hilton Diamond, SPG/Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Citi Exec MC, Amex Plat
I've flown on the AA 77W in J twice (MIA-LAX), and while I can't speak for soft product, hard product is incredible. Basically kick back and go to bed. CX J seats are very similar, as is BR and CI and a few others. For me, I would be sleeping for so much of the flight that it won't make a difference at all to me as far as service is concerned.

If you fly CX a lot in W or higher, might want to consider getting an AAdvantage account.

one trip LA-SIN in W earns me about 26,000 EQM and $3500 EQD. Two trips would clinch OW Sapphire for me, 4 trips would give me OW Emerald.
Old May 20, 17, 8:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by rbAA View Post
Maybe search for the discussion about AA's issues getting LAX-HKG and HKG-LAX flights out on time. tom911 had some interesting experiences. Seems AA had some issues with 77W maintenance and availabilty, though the HKG-LAX-HKG flights I've flown around that same time seemed fine.......
Interesting comment about maintenance.
I've seen the AA bird quite a few times in the Haeco hangar and I wondered why.
Old May 20, 17, 9:02 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by 24left View Post
Interesting comment about maintenance.
I've seen the AA bird quite a few times in the Haeco hangar and I wondered why.
You'll see 4 of them at HAECO at any given time until the 772 refit is complete. As of now, only 5 aircraft left, but if you've seen AA planes in the hangar there 99% certain they're the ones undergoing the cabin reconfiguration. Each frame is there for ~6 weeks.
Old May 20, 17, 9:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by ACA321 View Post
You'll see 4 of them at HAECO at any given time until the 772 refit is complete. As of now, only 5 aircraft left, but if you've seen AA planes in the hangar there 99% certain they're the ones undergoing the cabin reconfiguration. Each frame is there for ~6 weeks.
Ah, thanks.
Old May 20, 17, 9:26 am

Programs: Skywards Platinum
So what is the great deal on the J HKG-SEA that is 1/3 less than other airlines?

Last edited by whimike; May 20, 17 at 10:34 am
Old May 20, 17, 10:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by brewdog11 View Post
AA J on th 77W, which is what they fly between LAX and HKG, has a phenomenal hard product. This flight also has enhanced catering, mattress pads, and pajamas in J. The hard product on the AA 77W blows what DL offers out of the water. I bet it's nicer than the J product on JL, as well. Can't comment on BR, as I've never flown it. The only equivalent hard product is on CX, but they don't have mattress pads and all that.

Honestly, CX has downgraded catering so I don't think that is as much of an issue. I've flown the DFW-HKG flights in J, and I find the catering adequate to good. It should be better now on the LAX-HKG flight (at least AA touted it).
All great points. I would add that service on CX is better but the food in J is quite poor these days and on AA you can choose your entree in advance, not to mention that the quality of food in AA J is decent.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: