Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Talk me in/out of this: transpacific J Class on AA over others

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Talk me in/out of this: transpacific J Class on AA over others

Search this Thread

Old May 21, 2017, 2:54 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Diamond, AA exExPlat, BAEC exGold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Starriott Titanium, GE
Originally Posted by brewdog11
That's interesting/good to hear! Out of curiosity, what did you like better about AA vs. CX?
There were some items on the AA flights that CX didn't have - PJs, mattress pad, slippers, wifi, BOSE headsets. Maybe one of each is trivial, but it all adds up. Pillows and duvets were better with AA too. AA kits apart from being branded were also better stocked.

Food - many steps above CX, but for those at the CX forum it's well known that CX probably has the worst food across all major airlines nowadays, yes, much behind US3.

Service - now this one was mixed bag. On the outbound LAX-HKG very chatty and friendly crews, even encouraged me to write to AA on what I felt about the flight. I think I was the odd young pax so they were just very excited to stop by throughout the flight. Return - personalised greeting but the two FAs on my aisle were rather grumpy and indifferent, and as my SWU only cleared at the gate I was seated at the last row. In general CX has more consistent crew but some are reserved too; and god forbid you get the CX LAX-based crew on their LAX-HKG flights who are pretty much the same as your worst not-bothered AA FAs. (Same for the JFK-based that operate JFK-HKG-JFK)

Lounges - neutral as CX and AA have exactly the same lounge options both sides
Old May 21, 2017, 2:59 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Diamond, AA exExPlat, BAEC exGold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Starriott Titanium, GE
Sadly, the thing that keeps me away is IRROPS. Just last month, I went home (HKG) for a quick weekend and I'm glad I took CX (paired with JL F(!)) on the return. As accurately as it could be, the LAX/DFW-HKG flights went tech and rolled delays over one another. If I flew with AA, I would have lost a whole day and I can see why this is not appealing for business travelers.

But if OP is just flying for leisure, then this should be rather moot.
Old May 21, 2017, 3:21 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by G-CIVC
...it's well known that CX probably has the worst food across all major airlines nowadays, yes, much behind US3.
Uh, no. They don't.
Old May 21, 2017, 6:23 pm

Programs: AS MVP 75K, DL PM
Flew TPAC Lax-Syd in March. Great experience. All senior female flight attendants. PDB. Pjs. Newspapers. Cordial conversation mid-flight in galley with friendly FA.

If you can nail down 4A directly behind first class I'd argue it's the best hard/private J product in the sky.
Old May 21, 2017, 6:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by minnyfly
No quite the same seat. All of AA's 77Ws and most of its 772 fleet have or will have the B/E Super Diamond. There's a significant difference in the positive direction between the Super Diamond on AA and the Zodiac Cirrus on DL, and AA's seats are much better furnished than DL's.
No. That's wrong. AA 77Ws use Zodiac Cirrus, same as CX. 77Ds use either a custom Zodiac concept (which they botched badly enough that AA fired Zodiac) or BE Super Diamond.

https://runwaygirlnetwork.com/2016/1...oncept-d-seat/

https://runwaygirlnetwork.com/2016/0...t-like-cirrus/
Old May 21, 2017, 6:59 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by JonNYC
Uh, no. They don't.
Perhaps hyperbolic, but the (38-page long) claim exists for a reason.

I was much more happier having the choice of four properly plated mains and a trio-tray of desserts on AA than the TV dinner-like cr-p CX serves out of their LAX night flights featuring the same disgusting 'dips and berries' that haven't been changed for three years.

And the ex-HKG catering out of their home facility (i.e. highest ability to control and cut costs), virtually all options appetizers and mains alike are a giant facepalm and nothing more.
Old May 21, 2017, 8:17 pm

Programs: AA Plat
It would be extremely indirect, but since mentioned above, for the record, JAL has the best J class of any of the carriers mentioned in this thread. It's outstanding.
Old May 21, 2017, 10:11 pm
Original Poster

Programs: MP, BR
Originally Posted by nk15
I think the story here is what is the fare, your question is a no brainer that you should book AA.

What is the fare and where is it available?

Priced through my travel agent: HKG-LAX-SEA return during weekdays in September on J class for HK$19K. DL's website lists HKG-SEA for the same dates at around $34K.
Old May 21, 2017, 10:15 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by G-CIVC
Sadly, the thing that keeps me away is IRROPS. Just last month, I went home (HKG) for a quick weekend and I'm glad I took CX (paired with JL F(!)) on the return. As accurately as it could be, the LAX/DFW-HKG flights went tech and rolled delays over one another. If I flew with AA, I would have lost a whole day and I can see why this is not appealing for business travelers.

But if OP is just flying for leisure, then this should be rather moot.

Actually IRROPS was a huge consideration (I've ticketed the itinerary since posting) because my final destination is not SEA (intending to go to Alaska for about 10 days and since SEA is AS's hub that's where my first stop will be).
Old May 22, 2017, 11:49 am

Originally Posted by brewdog11
That's interesting/good to hear! Out of curiosity, what did you like better about AA vs. CX?
I don't know about others but me and my bf both got bad experience on CX , especially me he is go to US the working trip with delay (more than 1.5hr) and me is about backing hk from NZ with a messy situation and this year is about ...... happen on my vancation.

About AA it might be a bit better than CX (except the customer services ) especially if you are not white seriously , but this problem can be in everywhere even Asian to Asian. Or only maybe I still didn't get any problem from them basically seems I can't answer your question and hope can help you a bit on your plan mate!
Old May 22, 2017, 4:46 pm

Programs: UA, Starwood, Priority Club, Hertz, Starbucks Gold Card
AA's 77W J uses the same Cirrus seats as CX. However, CX had a 4-5 year edge on AA, and those CX seats now feel worn and tired. I'm not impressed with CX lately, and signs point to even more cutbacks and spartan days over there.

Personally, I prefer JL, NH, OZ, and BR any day over CX and AA (or for that matter SQ, DL, UA ..., but that's besides the point).
Old May 22, 2017, 7:52 pm

Programs: LT Plt, 4mm, *A GLD, burned out medical provider, executing our estate plan
OP good for you for booking it. For your onward travel AS has a decent domestic F product to ANC given my recent experience. Sign up for a Oneworld FF account or an AS account and get credit. The Boardrooms in SEA have pretty good craft beers on tap if you like that sort of thing.

My DFW-HKG RT with successful SWU was early in the experience and pretty good. We still have the PJs. With time the crew can get jaded, so expect anything. If you miss the connection to SEA, ask the GA processing your IRROPS to put you in the Hilton if you can. Have stayed there a number of times for the same and in general OK. I have recently added AS as a FF target and if you are delayed in LAX they will probably work with you.
Old May 22, 2017, 8:27 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by boerne
OP good for you for booking it. For your onward travel AS has a decent domestic F product to ANC given my recent experience. Sign up for a Oneworld FF account or an AS account and get credit. The Boardrooms in SEA have pretty good craft beers on tap if you like that sort of thing.

My DFW-HKG RT with successful SWU was early in the experience and pretty good. We still have the PJs. With time the crew can get jaded, so expect anything. If you miss the connection to SEA, ask the GA processing your IRROPS to put you in the Hilton if you can. Have stayed there a number of times for the same and in general OK. I have recently added AS as a FF target and if you are delayed in LAX they will probably work with you.

Thanks for the detail advice! Looking forward to the AS flights as I've heard so many good things about it.

I'm based in HKG and will collect Asia Miles for my AS (not to mention AA) flights, so no point of having another FFP within OW.
Old May 23, 2017, 4:38 am
Accor Contributor BadgeShangri-La Contributor Badge

Programs: CX MPC GO, IHG, OZ, NH (no longer UA MP*G thanks to SMJ)(no longer A3 *G due to COVID))
Originally Posted by sweetsleep
… be aware of the really nasty FA on these HK runs.… MANY J passengers being screamed at or at best spoken to with sarcastic comments.…
Service was horrendous as was attitude ...
This is spot on. My experience as well.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.