Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Upgrade Priority: Status, Upgrade Type, Rolling 12 Month EQD Spend

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 16, 2017, 12:53 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
As of May 20, 2017 upgrade prioritization is:
  1. Elite status
    1. Concierge Key
    2. Executive Platinum
    3. Platinum Pro
    4. Platinum
    5. Gold
  2. Upgrade type
    1. Miles and copay award upgrades and systemwide upgrades, Business Extra? (SWU)
    2. 500 mile upgrades on purchased tickets (including EXP complimentary UDU)
    3. 500 mile upgrades on upgrade eligible awards (including EXP complimentary UDU)
    4. BXP Business Extra upgrades

Elite qualifying dollars* in the past 12 months
  • Booking class (in order, J, D, I, W, P, Y, H, K, M, L, V, G, S, N, Q, O, T)
    Time of request

• *Your 12-month Rolling EQD value is different from your Year-to-Date (YTD) EQDs, which is used to track your progress toward elite status. It includes your EQD earned from reaching qualifying spend thresholds on eligible AAdvantage® AviatorTM MasterCard® cards.

Link to EQD earning Help Desk thread on FlyerTalk.

No- or lower status companion and effect on upgrade position

WAIT LIST, SAME PNR: Prior to upgrade request going to airport list
    • SWU, Miles & Copay, Business Extra: lower status passenger "borrows" higher status. (BX is unsure, stated as least of priorities, likely to up D-24 only)
      • 500 mile / UDU: lower status passenger "borrows" higher status
        • Award travel: lower status passenger "borrows" higher status

WAIT LIST, SEPARATE PNR: Prior to upgrade request going to airport list
    • SWU, Miles & Copay: lower status passenger DOES NOT "borrow" higher status under any circumstance
      • 500 mile / UDU: lower status passenger "borrows" higher status IF PNRs "linked"
        • Business Extra upgrade instruments
          • Award travel: lower status passenger "borrows" higher status IF PNRs "linked"

AIRPORT LIST, SAME PNR:
    • SWU, Miles & Copay: lower status passenger "borrows" higher status. (BX is unsure, but is least of priorities, likely to up D-24 only)
      • 500 mile / UDU: lower status passenger "borrows" higher status
          • Award travel: lower status passenger "borrows" higher status

AIRPORT LIST, SEPARATE PNR:
    • SWU, Miles & Copay: lower status passenger DOES NOT "borrow" higher status under any circumstance
      • 500 mile / UDU: lower status passenger "borrows" higher status IF PNRs "linked"
          • Award travel: lower status passenger "borrows" higher status IF PNRs "linked"

NOTES:
    1. Traveling companion 500 mile upgrades (even for those pax using UDU) "stickers" must pull from higher status passenger's account.
      • Lower status passenger previously "borrowing" higher status may require human processing at the airport to re-establish "borrowed status" linkage

(Companion information thanks to DW)
Print Wikipost

Upgrade Priority: Status, Upgrade Type, Rolling 12 Month EQD Spend

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17, 2019, 7:03 am
Original Member

Programs: 1k UA, UA MM, AA EXPlat
Thanks for this. I am seeing this as well and it is confusing and if accurate, really makes a BE upgrade pointless if you have complimentary status.
Old Jul 17, 2019, 7:14 am

Programs: AA ExPlat, Delta GM, Hilton Honors Diamond, Marriott Titanium Elite, Hertz President's Circle
I find the Business Extra upgrades useful for confirming an upgrade on flights where I (even as an ExPlat with around $20K rolling spend) would have no chance of getting a complimentary upgrade (looking at you, ORD-DFW). So...less utility if you have complimentary status, but definitely still there.

I also use them to upgrade my wife when she travels solo (since she has no status). Again, jumping on C inventory is key.
Old Jul 17, 2019, 7:57 am
Original Member

Yes, true. However, if the upgrade isn't confirmable, then what is your strategy?
Old Jul 17, 2019, 8:03 am

Programs: AA ExPlat, Delta GM, Hilton Honors Diamond, Marriott Titanium Elite, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by jpsj
Yes, true. However, if the upgrade isn't confirmable, then what is your strategy?
In general? To accept I'll be sitting in the cabin I purchased. I will admit my use of BE upgrades is opportunistic - if I see C inventory (or the golden "Systemwide Upgrades" link) when I book on a flight where I know I won't clear or my wife is flying without me, I'll use the upgrade. Otherwise, I won't.
GrumpyYoungMan likes this.
Old Jul 17, 2019, 8:04 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by lightbulbs

I had a similar experience this week where I verified with my own eyes that an instrument supported BXP upgrade fell behind a complimentary upgrade on the PALL of passengers with the same status. That is not supposed to happened if I understand the rules correctly and think it is possible something has changed recently.
This is correct. I had this happen on an upgrade list and verified with AA's Twitter team that an Exec Plat using a BXP upgrade falls behind an Executive Platinum using SWUs, Miles, and Complimentary upgrades.
Old Jul 17, 2019, 8:36 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat
Originally Posted by dantheflyingman
In general? To accept I'll be sitting in the cabin I purchased. I will admit my use of BE upgrades is opportunistic - if I see C inventory (or the golden "Systemwide Upgrades" link) when I book on a flight where I know I won't clear or my wife is flying without me, I'll use the upgrade. Otherwise, I won't.
This is essentially my strategy, with the addition of setting an EF alert for C inventory on flights where I want to utilize a BE upgrade. On occasion it has come through and I just go the BE website and book the upgrade when I get the alert.
Old Jul 17, 2019, 10:35 pm

Programs: Alaska Gold 75K, AA EXP, United 1K
Originally Posted by JohnDCA
This is correct. I had this happen on an upgrade list and verified with AA's Twitter team that an Exec Plat using a BXP upgrade falls behind an Executive Platinum using SWUs, Miles, and Complimentary upgrades.
wow, wonder why they changed the rules assuming it was intentional and not an IT issue. Kinda crazy a BXP upgrade falls lower than a complimentary one.
Old Jul 19, 2019, 6:17 pm
Original Member

I spoke with Business Extra support today. I was told: BE Upgrades are processed AFTER complimentary upgrades. It is not possible to have both status upgrades and BE on the same ticket.

Thus, in my case, my EXP status is not active when I have a BE upgrade. The support person stated that they have tried to let the marketing department know this. What a crock!
Old Jul 21, 2019, 1:12 pm

I’m so frustrated with the partner upgrade priority not matching the booking persons status.

i’m up to 4 missed upgrades due to a mixture of bad systems, gate agent incompetence or gate agent sheer refusal to do what needs to be done to get the upgrade list to reflect as it should.

I emailed after the latest example on Friday, which resulted in them splitting the reservation, so i’m Expecting tomorrow morning to be a grind dealing with a gate agent to try and get it to reflect properly.

Old Jul 22, 2019, 10:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Has something changed or is due to change regarding free elite upgrades for flights under 500 miles?
I am booking a EZE-MIA-MCO in February and it shows "500-mile upgrades
1 per person 192 miles" - Previously when I booked short flights I don't remember it saying this.
Old Jul 23, 2019, 8:58 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Originally Posted by jpsj
I spoke with Business Extra support today. I was told: BE Upgrades are processed AFTER complimentary upgrades. It is not possible to have both status upgrades and BE on the same ticket.

Thus, in my case, my EXP status is not active when I have a BE upgrade. The support person stated that they have tried to let the marketing department know this. What a crock!
it used to be that the system would not allow a complimentary upgrade if you had miles/copay requested - you couldn’t request both.

Then a month ago, I got a complimentary upgrade before my miles/copay cleared. So something changed in terms of one blocking the other. But I didn’t think it would happen at the gate

Has anyone tried pulling a BE upgrade day of departure? When I did pull a miles/copay day of departure, it put me so far down the list it seemed punitive (I.e. not where I would have been in the list otherwise).

has anyone else experienced something adverse if pulling an upgrade instrument day of departure (or at any time).?
Old Jul 24, 2019, 4:02 pm
Original Member

Yes, I pulled my BE upgrades day of once I found out about this and I was very far down on the list
Old Jul 24, 2019, 11:43 pm

Originally Posted by mvoight
Has something changed or is due to change regarding free elite upgrades for flights under 500 miles?
I am booking a EZE-MIA-MCO in February and it shows "500-mile upgrades
1 per person 192 miles" - Previously when I booked short flights I don't remember it saying this.
are you traveling with a companion? That message may be because you need a sticker to upgrade your companion?
Old Jul 24, 2019, 11:48 pm

Originally Posted by beachfan

it used to be that the system would not allow a complimentary upgrade if you had miles/copay requested - you couldn’t request both.

Then a month ago, I got a complimentary upgrade before my miles/copay cleared. So something changed in terms of one blocking the other. But I didn’t think it would happen at the gate

Has anyone tried pulling a BE upgrade day of departure? When I did pull a miles/copay day of departure, it put me so far down the list it seemed punitive (I.e. not where I would have been in the list otherwise).

has anyone else experienced something adverse if pulling an upgrade instrument day of departure (or at any time).?
weird they made this change but communicated it nowhere. Makes me wonder how intentional this was and if so why. Seems to really devalue business extra upgrades which now for elites are only valuable ahead of the upgrade window when C is avail which is so hard to come by. And of course for non-elites they’re unlikely to clear on any popular route because they come behind all elite upgrades. Who should we complain to?
Old Jul 25, 2019, 10:28 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Originally Posted by lightbulbs

weird they made this change but communicated it nowhere. Makes me wonder how intentional this was and if so why. Seems to really devalue business extra upgrades which now for elites are only valuable ahead of the upgrade window when C is avail which is so hard to come by. And of course for non-elites they’re unlikely to clear on any popular route because they come behind all elite upgrades. Who should we complain to?
It's even worse than not useful, it seems to be harmful to have it if you are hoping for an upgrade at the gate.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.