Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Upgrade Priority: Status, Upgrade Type, Rolling 12 Month EQD Spend

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 16, 2017, 12:53 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
As of May 20, 2017 upgrade prioritization is:
  1. Elite status
    1. Concierge Key
    2. Executive Platinum
    3. Platinum Pro
    4. Platinum
    5. Gold
  2. Upgrade type
    1. Miles and copay award upgrades and systemwide upgrades, Business Extra? (SWU)
    2. 500 mile upgrades on purchased tickets (including EXP complimentary UDU)
    3. 500 mile upgrades on upgrade eligible awards (including EXP complimentary UDU)
    4. BXP Business Extra upgrades

Elite qualifying dollars* in the past 12 months
  • Booking class (in order, J, D, I, W, P, Y, H, K, M, L, V, G, S, N, Q, O, T)
    Time of request

• *Your 12-month Rolling EQD value is different from your Year-to-Date (YTD) EQDs, which is used to track your progress toward elite status. It includes your EQD earned from reaching qualifying spend thresholds on eligible AAdvantage® AviatorTM MasterCard® cards.

Link to EQD earning Help Desk thread on FlyerTalk.

No- or lower status companion and effect on upgrade position

WAIT LIST, SAME PNR: Prior to upgrade request going to airport list
    • SWU, Miles & Copay, Business Extra: lower status passenger "borrows" higher status. (BX is unsure, stated as least of priorities, likely to up D-24 only)
      • 500 mile / UDU: lower status passenger "borrows" higher status
        • Award travel: lower status passenger "borrows" higher status

WAIT LIST, SEPARATE PNR: Prior to upgrade request going to airport list
    • SWU, Miles & Copay: lower status passenger DOES NOT "borrow" higher status under any circumstance
      • 500 mile / UDU: lower status passenger "borrows" higher status IF PNRs "linked"
        • Business Extra upgrade instruments
          • Award travel: lower status passenger "borrows" higher status IF PNRs "linked"

AIRPORT LIST, SAME PNR:
    • SWU, Miles & Copay: lower status passenger "borrows" higher status. (BX is unsure, but is least of priorities, likely to up D-24 only)
      • 500 mile / UDU: lower status passenger "borrows" higher status
          • Award travel: lower status passenger "borrows" higher status

AIRPORT LIST, SEPARATE PNR:
    • SWU, Miles & Copay: lower status passenger DOES NOT "borrow" higher status under any circumstance
      • 500 mile / UDU: lower status passenger "borrows" higher status IF PNRs "linked"
          • Award travel: lower status passenger "borrows" higher status IF PNRs "linked"

NOTES:
    1. Traveling companion 500 mile upgrades (even for those pax using UDU) "stickers" must pull from higher status passenger's account.
      • Lower status passenger previously "borrowing" higher status may require human processing at the airport to re-establish "borrowed status" linkage

(Companion information thanks to DW)
Print Wikipost

Upgrade Priority: Status, Upgrade Type, Rolling 12 Month EQD Spend

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1, 2018, 3:35 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AA Million Miles, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by CityFlyerNYC
EXP with 25K in EQD this year. I've been having trouble getting systemwides to clear this year even on what I think are off-peak flights. Is this the new normal?

What EQD is required these days to get regular upgrades? Do you have to be CK at this point? I'm ex-NYC on major routes. Systemwides that have cleared have been T-24.
Originally Posted by econometrics
I have about the same rolling EQD as you, and I have cleared 10 SWU/Miles+Copay/BXP3 upgrades this year. 10/10. Only one of them was battlefield... where I got upgraded just before the boarding door closed and the agent came to get me from PE to go to J (LHR-DFW).
I have basically the same experience as econometrics except for I am 9/9 this year (one upgrade has cleared, but is not yet flown) and all of them cleared before the gate (closest was at T-4). My rolling EQD is probably around 22-23K (I don't really track it that closely).
Old Feb 19, 2019, 9:34 pm

to be sure i'm reading this correctly, it's status and then instrument? So a gold using a BXP1 (domestically) would be below a Plat Pro using an UDU?
Old Feb 19, 2019, 10:11 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by yerffej201
to be sure i'm reading this correctly, it's status and then instrument? So a gold using a BXP1 (domestically) would be below a Plat Pro using an UDU?
Correct.
Old Apr 6, 2019, 9:53 am

I’m platinum pro and my wife is gold and we’re on the same reservation. She uses the 500 coupons to request an upgrade and I get complimentary upgrades for a flight. Is there a way to make sure she is placed next time me on the upgrade list vs. at the bottom with the rest of the golds?

Last edited by Traveler56789; Apr 6, 2019 at 10:16 am
Old Apr 8, 2019, 11:10 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA: EXP, 1MM Marriott: Ambassador, LTT
How are upgrades for multiple intl companions processed?

I am an EXP traveling with 3 family members on single PNR in W from LAX-NRT. All 4 of us are on waiting list for C upgrade space using 15K mile upgrades. I know that under AA rules only 1 companion can inherent your status, so technically only 2 of the 4 of us would have benefit of my EXP status and thus be close to front of the line for any C upgrade space.

My question is: does anyone know how upgrades are actually processed in a situation like this? For example, if they have 2 C spots when they get to me will they upgrade 2 of the 4 on the PNR or will they just skip me because I have 4 and they don't have 4 spots and/or only 1 companion can get benefit of my status? Alternatively, if they have 4 C would they upgrade the entire party or skip it entirely because only 1 companion get's benefit of my status? Is it a "YMMV" situation that depends on whoever is processing the upgrades?

My presupposition in both situations is that AA would just skip me because they won't upgrade only 2 of 4 people on a PNR and they won't extend more than 1 person my status. Given this, I am thinking that the best course of action is just to split the PNR into 2 and 2 as that at least gives me a fighting chance of securing 2 upgrades. Does that sound right or am I missing something?
randyr6 likes this.
Old Apr 15, 2019, 5:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Some Miscellaneous Upgrade Questions

May I ask the AA FT community for some assistance, please? I have some questions about upgrades.

1. I've heard that within an elite level (I recently attained EXP), upgrade priority is determined by EQD. Is this correct?

2. Assuming that I am correct (#1 above), do people here have a feeling for how many EQDs it takes? (I know that it may be different on different routes.) For example, I currently have 24,017 EQDs for calendar 2019. Is this considered a lot? A little? About in the middle? I'm likely to continue accumulating them at roughly the same rate throughout the year.

3. Assuming that I am correct (#1 above), does this apply to SWU upgrades as well as "sticker" upgrades?

4. Internationally, I would be interested in using SWUs to upgrade J to F ex-HKG to LAX or DFW. (I understand that there's no more AA metal F service ex-NRT.) Any idea what my odds for success are?

Thank you all in advance for your assistance!
Old Apr 15, 2019, 5:56 am

Programs: AA EXP
Scroll down to “upgrade prioritization” for answers to some of your queries. (EQD is rolling based on prior 12 months, not calendar year.)

https://www.aa.com/i18n/aadvantage-p...am-updates.jsp
Old Apr 15, 2019, 6:49 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
The pecking order for upgrades on domestic are upgrade instrument (miles plus cash), SWUs, then complimentary which is determined by elite level(CK through Gold), and within those levels previous 12 month spend. What spend levels are like is a closely held secret within AA so it's very hard to determine if your 12 month spend (unless it's totally off the charts) would trump you over other EXPs. If you are or will continue on a track of nearly $25K EQD per quarter for 2019 (or a 12 month spend for 2019 of nearly $100K) you likely will be near the top of the heap. SWU would work like domestic upgrades although I believe the SWU is attached to the original owner so if it's gifted to someone it would clear based upon the owner's status and 12 month rolling EQDs.

As far as International it's upgrade instrument (miles plus cash) and SWU.
Old Apr 15, 2019, 7:09 am

Programs: CK or bust
Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
The pecking order for upgrades on domestic are upgrade instrument (miles plus cash), SWUs, then complimentary which is determined by elite level(CK through Gold), and within those levels previous 12 month spend. What spend levels are like is a closely held secret within AA so it's very hard to determine if your 12 month spend (unless it's totally off the charts) would trump you over other EXPs. If you are or will continue on a track of nearly $25K EQD per quarter for 2019 (or a 12 month spend for 2019 of nearly $100K) you likely will be near the top of the heap. SWU would work like domestic upgrades although I believe the SWU is attached to the original owner so if it's gifted to someone it would clear based upon the owner's status and 12 month rolling EQDs.

As far as International it's upgrade instrument (miles plus cash) and SWU.
Elite status is first, not third.
asf-07 likes this.
Old Apr 15, 2019, 7:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
4. Internationally, I would be interested in using SWUs to upgrade J to F ex-HKG to LAX or DFW. (I understand that there's no more AA metal F service ex-NRT.) Any idea what my odds for success are?
Generally speaking, upgrades from J to F are MUCH easier than Y to J (this goes for all AA longhaul routes, not just HKG). With a little flexibility you will have zero trouble using your SWU's for J to F. Also note that AA will offer F on LAX-HND starting this summer.
Old Apr 15, 2019, 10:33 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Originally Posted by enpremiere

Elite status is first, not third.
No Cash/Miles upgrades and SWUs come before complimentary/sticker upgrades for domestic flights.
Old Apr 15, 2019, 10:45 am

Programs: AA: EXP MR: Ti
No Cash/Miles upgrades and SWUs come before complimentary/sticker upgrades for domestic flights.
Only within a status level. An EXP comp upgrade comes before a PPRO on an instrument (SWU / Cash+Miles). Status trumps all (unless confirmable instrument upgrade space [C inventory] is available).
enpremiere likes this.
Old Apr 15, 2019, 12:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

What spend levels are like is a closely held secret within AA so it's very hard to determine if your 12 month spend (unless it's totally off the charts) would trump you over other EXPs. If you are or will continue on a track of nearly $25K EQD per quarter for 2019 (or a 12 month spend for 2019 of nearly $100K) you likely will be near the top of the heap.
I will continue to earn EQDs at this rate at least through calendar 2019 and likely well into 2020, as well. It's not from actual spend, however. I get EQDs from the calculated EQDs on partner airlines, since most of my flying is outside of the U.S.
Old Apr 15, 2019, 12:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks, everyone. This info is very helpful.
Old Apr 15, 2019, 1:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by JJeffrey
Generally speaking, upgrades from J to F are MUCH easier than Y to J (this goes for all AA longhaul routes, not just HKG). With a little flexibility you will have zero trouble using your SWU's for J to F. Also note that AA will offer F on LAX-HND starting this summer.
DFW-NRT is also getting the 77W with F.

IMO, AA F isnt worth the SWU, especially given how nice the 77W seats are. I'd use them for vacations or Y/W to J upgrades. Now, if you never fly Y and they would go to waste then definitely (DFW-HKG or LAX-HKG are the most bang for your buck), but that's the only case in my opinion.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.