Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Upgrade Priority: Status, Upgrade Type, Rolling 12 Month EQD Spend

Old May 16, 2017, 12:53 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
As of May 20, 2017 upgrade prioritization is:
  1. Elite status
    1. Concierge Key
    2. Executive Platinum
    3. Platinum Pro
    4. Platinum
    5. Gold
  2. Upgrade type
    1. Miles and copay award upgrades and systemwide upgrades, Business Extra? (SWU)
    2. 500 mile upgrades on purchased tickets (including EXP complimentary UDU)
    3. 500 mile upgrades on upgrade eligible awards (including EXP complimentary UDU)
    4. BXP Business Extra upgrades

Elite qualifying dollars* in the past 12 months
  • Booking class (in order, J, D, I, W, P, Y, H, K, M, L, V, G, S, N, Q, O, T)
    Time of request

• *Your 12-month Rolling EQD value is different from your Year-to-Date (YTD) EQDs, which is used to track your progress toward elite status. It includes your EQD earned from reaching qualifying spend thresholds on eligible AAdvantage® AviatorTM MasterCard® cards.

Link to EQD earning Help Desk thread on FlyerTalk.

No- or lower status companion and effect on upgrade position

WAIT LIST, SAME PNR: Prior to upgrade request going to airport list
    • SWU, Miles & Copay, Business Extra: lower status passenger "borrows" higher status. (BX is unsure, stated as least of priorities, likely to up D-24 only)
      • 500 mile / UDU: lower status passenger "borrows" higher status
        • Award travel: lower status passenger "borrows" higher status

WAIT LIST, SEPARATE PNR: Prior to upgrade request going to airport list
    • SWU, Miles & Copay: lower status passenger DOES NOT "borrow" higher status under any circumstance
      • 500 mile / UDU: lower status passenger "borrows" higher status IF PNRs "linked"
        • Business Extra upgrade instruments
          • Award travel: lower status passenger "borrows" higher status IF PNRs "linked"

AIRPORT LIST, SAME PNR:
    • SWU, Miles & Copay: lower status passenger "borrows" higher status. (BX is unsure, but is least of priorities, likely to up D-24 only)
      • 500 mile / UDU: lower status passenger "borrows" higher status
          • Award travel: lower status passenger "borrows" higher status

AIRPORT LIST, SEPARATE PNR:
    • SWU, Miles & Copay: lower status passenger DOES NOT "borrow" higher status under any circumstance
      • 500 mile / UDU: lower status passenger "borrows" higher status IF PNRs "linked"
          • Award travel: lower status passenger "borrows" higher status IF PNRs "linked"

NOTES:
    1. Traveling companion 500 mile upgrades (even for those pax using UDU) "stickers" must pull from higher status passenger's account.
      • Lower status passenger previously "borrowing" higher status may require human processing at the airport to re-establish "borrowed status" linkage

(Companion information thanks to DW)
Print Wikipost

Upgrade Priority: Status, Upgrade Type, Rolling 12 Month EQD Spend

Old May 17, 2017, 10:22 am

Programs: AA Exp Plat / Marriott Titanium/ Hyatt Globalist/ Delta Diamond Medallion
Originally Posted by ESpen36
Nope. EP/CK do not earn stickers, but they can purchase them if desired.

Remember that EP/CK do not burn stickers when they upgrade themselves. They burn stickers only when upgrading companions.

As long as you are the only one upgrading, you should never have to buy stickers.

The above is an issue ONLY if you tend to travel with companions and would like to upgrade them. Otherwise, EP/CK members never need stickers.
Not exactly true, we now need "them" to upgrade our own award tickets even at EP/CK (even though we couldn't upgrade award tickets before this change). Once we use the 500 mile upgrades in our account we won't earn anymore so this new *benefit* is kind of bogus while we continually remain EP/CK.

Last edited by j1194; May 17, 2017 at 10:28 am
Old May 17, 2017, 10:23 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by chicagoflyer1976
But I do wonder, will the "rolling" 12 month captured at the time of the request stay with the reservation until you fly? Or will it constantly update?
In some extreme cases, the list could change dramatically day to day.
It has been discussed that in all likelihood, AA will use the rolling 12-month EQD as of the time upgrades are issued.
Old May 17, 2017, 10:38 am
Used to be 'g_leyser'

Location: Brandon Johnson International Airport (expect delays)
Programs: AA PlatPro, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold, IHG Plat, Reno Air MEGA Platinum
Originally Posted by nk15
You can calculate your EQDs for Aug-Dec 2016, I just did mine. You can go to Your activity, under My account, select desirable activity date range. Then you divide your base miles (under award miles) by 5 for each trip, and these are your EQDs per trip. Unfortunately for me I did 75% of my 2016 paid travel in the first 6 months of last year.
Good call! ^

I'm still wondering though:

Originally Posted by aisleorwindow

Where do BXP1 (Business Extra) paper upgrade certs fall in the priority? Are they treated same as SWUs/miles?
Anyone have any clarity on that?
Old May 17, 2017, 11:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Originally Posted by Kreative03
I'm sure the trade-offs here were many, but am I the only one who isn't happy with the August 2016 cutoff?

A rolling 12 months should be just that....or they should start with 1/1/17 and say we're 5 months in, and it will eventually roll to 12. With an august start, it's 10 months of rolling spend that you have to hope shows your 'worth'.

I'm mostly complaining because i did all my high spend travel in May, June and July of 2016 -- however I've got plenty of dollars this year that hit Jan-July..so it will be interesting to see how this works as we progress. I definitely benefited from the similar (miles flow in rolling 12) policy on USAirways when it was in effect, so i'm cautiously optimistic that it may all work out how we want.
I agree. August 2016 coincides with their new revenue-based system for earning miles, so my guess is it has to do with that.
Old May 17, 2017, 11:43 am

Programs: AA EXP, B6 Mosaic, DL PM
Originally Posted by j1194
Not exactly true, we now need "them" to upgrade our own award tickets even at EP/CK (even though we couldn't upgrade award tickets before this change). Once we use the 500 mile upgrades in our account we won't earn anymore so this new *benefit* is kind of bogus while we continually remain EP/CK.
That's incorrect. Upgrades on eligible award tickets for EP/CK will be complimentary.
Old May 17, 2017, 3:38 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Exec Plat SPG Platinum
Just got off the line with the ExP desk. Was told that the post May 20 complimentary upgrades on awards do not apply to mileage saver awards. As near as I can tell this distinction was not mentioned in the e-mail announcement sent by AA.
Can anyone confirm if the agent is correct?
Old May 17, 2017, 4:03 pm

Programs: AA - Plat, HHonors - Diamond, IHG - Plat, Marriott - Gold, National - Exec, Amtrak - Select, NEXUS
Originally Posted by chicagoflyer1976
Wait - US Airways did this? This is how they used to prioritize upgrades?
Yep, 12 month rolling EQMs (within FF tiers) was how they prioritized the UG lists.
Old May 17, 2017, 4:20 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Bonvoy Ambassador, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by ijgordon
I'd imagine elites with identical EQD's is more common than you'd think. There are only a finite number of digits between, say, 3000 and 5999 (though of course that's not the only qualification for an elite level), and there are certainly more than 3000 platinums. Of course the odds that two are on the same flight drops, and the odds that those two specifically are next up for the last available F seat drops further. Still, if it happened once a day across the system, I wouldn't be surprised at all. Putting aside the zero EQD scenario.

PS, I am not a statistician, but I took a statistics course once in college.
Yeah, this is a good example of the "Wyatt Earp effect." At first glance it appears incredibly unlikely that Earp could survive so many gunfights. But given there were thousands of people gunfighting in the old west, it's actually extremely likely that somebody would amass his record. Similarly, the likelihood of any two pax having identical rolling EQD is low...but AA is going to do thousands and thousands of such comparisons daily, so they'll definitely roll snake-eyes pretty regularly.
Old May 18, 2017, 12:51 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Amb; AA EXP
Is the spend calculation based on bookings or $ spent on flights taken? Otherwise, one could book an INTL refundable first. Admittedly, this could be a cash flow problem due to the delay in refunds, but still...
Old May 18, 2017, 1:01 pm

Programs: AA EXP, B6 Mosaic, DL PM
Originally Posted by Score8
Is the spend calculation based on bookings or $ spent on flights taken? Otherwise, one could book an INTL refundable first. Admittedly, this could be a cash flow problem due to the delay in refunds, but still...
EQDs post with miles, so the latter.
Old May 18, 2017, 9:17 pm

Programs: AA EXP, EY Gold, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, IHG Gold, Hertz 5*, Global Entry
Sorry to be slightly off topic with this thread, but did anyone else get the upgrade change email and then receive a second email indicating the previous mass email was being recalled?
Old May 19, 2017, 9:18 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond, AA Executive Platinum, National Executive Elite, Avis First
How will this impact other PALL codes?

Any idea if this change in priority will impact other PALL codes like voluntary or involuntary standby?
Old May 19, 2017, 10:12 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by adambrock
Any idea if this change in priority will impact other PALL codes like voluntary or involuntary standby?

Yes, it will.

Information coming.
Old May 19, 2017, 9:47 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Is the waitlist for miles/copy prior to PALL list changing too?
Old May 19, 2017, 11:20 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Marriott LT Platinum/Ambassador
What qualifies as high spend for an EXP? I suppose this question will answer itself over the next few weeks, but I'm curious and trying to predict how I will fare (pun intended) in this new scheme. At around $24k in EQD since August, am I low? High? Middle of the pack?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.