Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Upgrade Priority: Status, Upgrade Type, Rolling 12 Month EQD Spend

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 16, 2017, 12:53 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
As of May 20, 2017 upgrade prioritization is:
  1. Elite status
    1. Concierge Key
    2. Executive Platinum
    3. Platinum Pro
    4. Platinum
    5. Gold
  2. Upgrade type
    1. Miles and copay award upgrades and systemwide upgrades, Business Extra? (SWU)
    2. 500 mile upgrades on purchased tickets (including EXP complimentary UDU)
    3. 500 mile upgrades on upgrade eligible awards (including EXP complimentary UDU)
    4. BXP Business Extra upgrades

Elite qualifying dollars* in the past 12 months
  • Booking class (in order, J, D, I, W, P, Y, H, K, M, L, V, G, S, N, Q, O, T)
    Time of request

• *Your 12-month Rolling EQD value is different from your Year-to-Date (YTD) EQDs, which is used to track your progress toward elite status. It includes your EQD earned from reaching qualifying spend thresholds on eligible AAdvantage® AviatorTM MasterCard® cards.

Link to EQD earning Help Desk thread on FlyerTalk.

No- or lower status companion and effect on upgrade position

WAIT LIST, SAME PNR: Prior to upgrade request going to airport list
    • SWU, Miles & Copay, Business Extra: lower status passenger "borrows" higher status. (BX is unsure, stated as least of priorities, likely to up D-24 only)
      • 500 mile / UDU: lower status passenger "borrows" higher status
        • Award travel: lower status passenger "borrows" higher status

WAIT LIST, SEPARATE PNR: Prior to upgrade request going to airport list
    • SWU, Miles & Copay: lower status passenger DOES NOT "borrow" higher status under any circumstance
      • 500 mile / UDU: lower status passenger "borrows" higher status IF PNRs "linked"
        • Business Extra upgrade instruments
          • Award travel: lower status passenger "borrows" higher status IF PNRs "linked"

AIRPORT LIST, SAME PNR:
    • SWU, Miles & Copay: lower status passenger "borrows" higher status. (BX is unsure, but is least of priorities, likely to up D-24 only)
      • 500 mile / UDU: lower status passenger "borrows" higher status
          • Award travel: lower status passenger "borrows" higher status

AIRPORT LIST, SEPARATE PNR:
    • SWU, Miles & Copay: lower status passenger DOES NOT "borrow" higher status under any circumstance
      • 500 mile / UDU: lower status passenger "borrows" higher status IF PNRs "linked"
          • Award travel: lower status passenger "borrows" higher status IF PNRs "linked"

NOTES:
    1. Traveling companion 500 mile upgrades (even for those pax using UDU) "stickers" must pull from higher status passenger's account.
      • Lower status passenger previously "borrowing" higher status may require human processing at the airport to re-establish "borrowed status" linkage

(Companion information thanks to DW)
Print Wikipost

Upgrade Priority: Status, Upgrade Type, Rolling 12 Month EQD Spend

Search this Thread

Old May 25, 2017, 2:43 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
Originally Posted by j1194
I believe you are incorrect, please provide a source. The EXP desk said you have to use 500 mile upgrades for award ticket upgrades.
You do. They are complimentary and unlimited for the EXP, just like they are for revenue tickets.
Old May 26, 2017, 12:12 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1k, Marriott Gold, HH Gold, X Elite+
I thought along with this change, companions were supposed to inherit PALL status (and be able to use their own upgrades).

Today, among many other typical upgrade list fiascos, my status companion was only listed next to me after the AAngel requested the upgrades from my account. If this is still the case, I'm going to need to buy more stickers soon...these companion upgrades are wiping me out!
Old May 26, 2017, 2:29 pm

Programs: AA Plat
Yes your companion will require stickers in your account even with them "inheriting" your status. All that means is that they are supposed to be the next person after you on the list, not that they get a free upgrade.
Old May 26, 2017, 3:38 pm

Programs: AA EXP/1mm, Marriott Titanium/LT Gold, UA Silver
I am 0/1 on the new system. Ended up 3/10 on LAX-HNL - 1 and 2 cleared. Blah. ~15.5k in 12 month trailing EQD. I had never failed to clear on this route as EXP before too
Old May 26, 2017, 3:41 pm

Programs: AA- EXP UA - Silver SPG- PLT Marriott- PLT
Originally Posted by uscjeff
I am 0/1 on the new system. Ended up 3/10 on LAX-HNL - 1 and 2 cleared. Blah. ~15.5k in 12 month trailing EQD. I had never failed to clear on this route as EXP before too
Do you know if the people in front of you were EXP?
Old May 27, 2017, 3:59 am

Programs: AA EP
No. On 500 milers ur companion will inherit ur upgrade priority but it may require agent keystrokes at the airport. But it also assume that a companion using ur status would use ur stickers -- not theirs. But this is many times overloood at the gate. SWUs. No. They are on their own.

Originally Posted by Kreative03
I thought along with this change, companions were supposed to inherit PALL status (and be able to use their own upgrades).

Today, among many other typical upgrade list fiascos, my status companion was only listed next to me after the AAngel requested the upgrades from my account. If this is still the case, I'm going to need to buy more stickers soon...these companion upgrades are wiping me out!
Old May 27, 2017, 10:39 am

Programs: AA EXP/2.9mm | Marriott LT Titanium 1.6k nights | NEXUS
Originally Posted by chicagoflyer1976
Do you know if the people in front of you were EXP?
Originally Posted by uscjeff
Oblique question but I'm on a trip with just an iPhone /iPad so all I get with account access on the app are the basics. I'm probably close to your 12-month spend, as I'm at $8.8k ytd. Does the full site have the 12-month data or did you add 2016 info on your own. TIA.
Old May 27, 2017, 2:33 pm

Programs: AA EXP/1mm, Marriott Titanium/LT Gold, UA Silver
Originally Posted by AATrout
Oblique question but I'm on a trip with just an iPhone /iPad so all I get with account access on the app are the basics. I'm probably close to your 12-month spend, as I'm at $8.8k ytd. Does the full site have the 12-month data or did you add 2016 info on your own. TIA.
I did my own math - took 8/1 and on and divided base miles by 5. I am not sure if the people upgraded were CKs but they did not have great seats - I watched them get walked up by the GA after boarding
Old May 27, 2017, 3:26 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Diamond, AA exExPlat, BAEC exGold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Starriott Titanium, GE
Was it published somewhere for the 'base miles by 5' calculation, rather than a 'what-if' EQD that corresponds to the charts/published ones for 2017 onwards?
Old May 27, 2017, 6:44 pm

Programs: AA(EXP)UA(1K/1MM) Marriott(PP,LifeTime Plat) Hertz(5*)
Originally Posted by G-CIVC
Was it published somewhere for the 'base miles by 5' calculation, rather than a 'what-if' EQD that corresponds to the charts/published ones for 2017 onwards?
Base miles are calculated by taking the EQDx5

So to know what your EQD was from 8/1-12/31 take all base miles and divide by 5.
Old May 28, 2017, 6:37 am

Programs: AA - Plat, HHonors - Diamond, IHG - Plat, Marriott - Gold, National - Exec, Amtrak - Select, NEXUS
This PLT has ~$11.2k EQD in the past 12 months. I wonder how many PLTs have EXP-level spend but less than Plat Pro travel? (Right now I'm at 5500 EQD/28k EQM/27 EQS for 2017.)

I'll find out if the new system benefits me better than time of request, since the majority of my tickets are bought <2 weeks out. Mostly I'm too far down the list that they aren't going to upgrade any PLTs anyway, but two weeks back I was 3rd on the list on a Friday afternoon DFW-PHL and 1 & 2 were gate upgraded as they boarded with Group 3 (so PLT or PPRO). That may have been an opportunity for EQD to put me to the head of the line (assuming that 1 and 2 weren't Plat Pro, I understand).
Old May 29, 2017, 6:43 pm

Programs: AA(EXP)UA(1K/1MM) Marriott(PP,LifeTime Plat) Hertz(5*)
For a data point I cleared at the 100hr mark yesterday and today for my next two flights. I can't even remember when the last time that happened was.
Old May 30, 2017, 12:35 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1k, Marriott Gold, HH Gold, X Elite+
Today's flight I was 6/16. 1-3 cleared. There was only one CK on the flight as they were individually paged to the podium for an intro to their CK rep and an apology for the delay.

This is really going to be a roll of the dice every flight as EQD piles on and falls off for each of us. And to all of you who have corporate paid J....I hate you just a little bit more ��.
Old May 30, 2017, 9:03 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA Gold
To clarify the prioritization, does booking a premium economy ticket give any upside to upgrade priority? I see that the fourth category is booking class, but wasn't clear if that's only within a given cabin (i.e. Y > G) or would also be the point at which W would come into play vs. Y fare classes

Just trying to understand if there's any benefit to booking PE vs. Y besides the higher EQM, seat, etc. (assuming no complimentary upgrade from Y to PE)
Old May 30, 2017, 11:33 am

Programs: AA LT Gold
Originally Posted by wolfeman27
To clarify the prioritization, does booking a premium economy ticket give any upside to upgrade priority? I see that the fourth category is booking class, but wasn't clear if that's only within a given cabin (i.e. Y > G) or would also be the point at which W would come into play vs. Y fare classes

Just trying to understand if there's any benefit to booking PE vs. Y besides the higher EQM, seat, etc. (assuming no complimentary upgrade from Y to PE)
I asked the same several pages before and my question was never answered on this forum that I know of.

I wonder exactly the same thing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.