Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Upgrade Priority: Status, Upgrade Type, Rolling 12 Month EQD Spend

Old May 16, 2017, 12:53 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
As of May 20, 2017 upgrade prioritization is:
  1. Elite status
    1. Concierge Key
    2. Executive Platinum
    3. Platinum Pro
    4. Platinum
    5. Gold
  2. Upgrade type
    1. Miles and copay award upgrades and systemwide upgrades, Business Extra? (SWU)
    2. 500 mile upgrades on purchased tickets (including EXP complimentary UDU)
    3. 500 mile upgrades on upgrade eligible awards (including EXP complimentary UDU)
    4. BXP Business Extra upgrades

Elite qualifying dollars* in the past 12 months
  • Booking class (in order, J, D, I, W, P, Y, H, K, M, L, V, G, S, N, Q, O, T)
    Time of request

• *Your 12-month Rolling EQD value is different from your Year-to-Date (YTD) EQDs, which is used to track your progress toward elite status. It includes your EQD earned from reaching qualifying spend thresholds on eligible AAdvantage® AviatorTM MasterCard® cards.

Link to EQD earning Help Desk thread on FlyerTalk.

No- or lower status companion and effect on upgrade position

WAIT LIST, SAME PNR: Prior to upgrade request going to airport list
    • SWU, Miles & Copay, Business Extra: lower status passenger "borrows" higher status. (BX is unsure, stated as least of priorities, likely to up D-24 only)
      • 500 mile / UDU: lower status passenger "borrows" higher status
        • Award travel: lower status passenger "borrows" higher status

WAIT LIST, SEPARATE PNR: Prior to upgrade request going to airport list
    • SWU, Miles & Copay: lower status passenger DOES NOT "borrow" higher status under any circumstance
      • 500 mile / UDU: lower status passenger "borrows" higher status IF PNRs "linked"
        • Business Extra upgrade instruments
          • Award travel: lower status passenger "borrows" higher status IF PNRs "linked"

AIRPORT LIST, SAME PNR:
    • SWU, Miles & Copay: lower status passenger "borrows" higher status. (BX is unsure, but is least of priorities, likely to up D-24 only)
      • 500 mile / UDU: lower status passenger "borrows" higher status
          • Award travel: lower status passenger "borrows" higher status

AIRPORT LIST, SEPARATE PNR:
    • SWU, Miles & Copay: lower status passenger DOES NOT "borrow" higher status under any circumstance
      • 500 mile / UDU: lower status passenger "borrows" higher status IF PNRs "linked"
          • Award travel: lower status passenger "borrows" higher status IF PNRs "linked"

NOTES:
    1. Traveling companion 500 mile upgrades (even for those pax using UDU) "stickers" must pull from higher status passenger's account.
      • Lower status passenger previously "borrowing" higher status may require human processing at the airport to re-establish "borrowed status" linkage

(Companion information thanks to DW)
Print Wikipost

Upgrade Priority: Status, Upgrade Type, Rolling 12 Month EQD Spend

Old May 24, 2017, 10:02 am

Programs: AA- EXP UA - Silver SPG- PLT Marriott- PLT
Originally Posted by nyczreklis
Not sure if it's appropriate to post here.
On LAX to JFK 6a today. I'm a low EQD exp due to qualifying on only three business trips last year. I'm number 10 currently on the list! Using comp upgrade!
10 out of how many EXPs?

Would be great to get some more data points here to try and determine what "average" looks like.
Old May 24, 2017, 1:01 pm

Programs: AA Ex Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Silver
I'm at $14K using the "divide by 5" method and I must be bottom of the barrel. I'm usually well down on the list. I'm just under $7K for the year and my percentage of upgrades is abysmal. I'm "always" 5th on the list or worse when it was by timestamp, this week I was 6th on the list after the new way of determining the order. I feel less bad about siting in back so long as the guy up front gives more to the airline though for some reason. I hated the timestamp thing. But with the numbers getting thrown around on here, I'll never get another upgrade again . I don't know how people that are spending their own money and having this many EQD's do it. I'll keep sitting in the back, getting my snack and drink and hoping they don't take any more legroom from me.
Old May 24, 2017, 2:44 pm

Originally Posted by chicagoflyer1976
10 out of how many EXPs?

Would be great to get some more data points here to try and determine what "average" looks like.
I would assume I was 10th and last EXP, as I qualified with only about $6,500 spend last year.
They rolled the cabin and 5 cleared. they were all confirmed to be Exp.

However, maybe on a such an early flight - the Other Exp's ahead of me were also using Instruments to try and secure a Layflat
Old May 24, 2017, 6:41 pm

Programs: CX Diamond, AA CK (quit 2018), Starwood Platinum, National EXC Elite
Trail run

As a trail, I've booked a SJC-DFW for next Friday, to test the EQD impact theories. Since August 2016, to date, I'm at over $50k. Let's see when it clears. Could argue its close in, but hey it's a trail, and if doesn't clear in advance I'll cancel and put $ in travel bank.
Old May 24, 2017, 6:44 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by prw555
As a trail, I've booked a SJC-DFW for next Friday, to test the EQD impact theories. Since August 2016, to date, I'm at over $50k. Let's see when it clears. Could argue its close in, but hey it's a trail, and if doesn't clear in advance I'll cancel and put $ in travel bank.
Or even try a trial run!
Old May 24, 2017, 6:53 pm

Programs: CX Diamond, AA CK (quit 2018), Starwood Platinum, National EXC Elite
Originally Posted by controller1
Or even try a trial run!
hahah 😂
Old May 25, 2017, 6:05 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, AA Gold
Originally Posted by DBOS
So I have to blindly trust the rolling EQDs tally? Last year I had to request missing EQMs not posted to my account after more that two months. It is plausible that they have screwed up my EQDs too.

How do I know what is my rolling EDQ?
unless you are also calculating the EQD's of the other people on the list, you're still going to have to blindly trust their tally.
Old May 25, 2017, 9:50 am

Programs: AA(EXP)UA(1K/1MM) Marriott(PP,LifeTime Plat) Hertz(5*)
So am I the only one who has a problem with the aviator card being used for eqd addition to your yearly spend for upgrades?
Old May 25, 2017, 9:57 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Originally Posted by swm61230
So am I the only one who has a problem with the aviator card being used for eqd addition to your yearly spend for upgrades?
As opposed to other airlines that eliminate the EQD requirement for
cardholders?
Old May 25, 2017, 11:23 am

Programs: AA(EXP)UA(1K/1MM) Marriott(PP,LifeTime Plat) Hertz(5*)
Originally Posted by beachfan
As opposed to other airlines that eliminate the EQD requirement for
cardholders?
I understand. I'm just torn on that particular issue.

I will say that I am happy to see this change on a whole.

I have never liked the time stamp for clearing upgrades. I know this is the biggest contention with people as the ones that but months in advance at a lesser fare are no longer a priority.

I myself am usually booking airfare 3-14 days out. Maybe I get to book an airfare 30+ days in advance but that happens 1-2 times a year in the middle of the year. Mostly for a work related job that deals with July 4th and my vacation trip that happens after.

As such I am usually lower on the list of exp to get an upgrade. But I am spending way more through the year for my tickets as they are mostly last minute higher fares.

My yearly spend ranges between 20-30k a year. Not the highest and not the lowest.

And I am ok with someone who spends more then I do being listed before me for a benefit. I am just glad that the main basis is a rolling 12 month tally and not just the last year amount.

I am also happy that AA doesn't look at the one timers who buy a full fare ticket as the most deserving of all the benefits that a consistent possibly lower fare customer gets.

I am looking forward to my next few flights and seeing where I land on the list. And seeing if my upgrade percentage goes up for the rest of the year.
Old May 25, 2017, 11:29 am

Programs: AA EXP, B6 Mosaic, DL PM
I understand. I'm just torn on that particular issue.

I will say that I am happy to see this change on a whole.

I have never liked the time stamp for clearing upgrades. I know this is the biggest contention with people as the ones that but months in advance at a lesser fare are no longer a priority.

I myself am usually booking airfare 3-14 days out. Maybe I get to book an airfare 30+ days in advance but that happens 1-2 times a year in the middle of the year. Mostly for a work related job that deals with July 4th and my vacation trip that happens after.

As such I am usually lower on the list of exp to get an upgrade. But I am spending way more through the year for my tickets as they are mostly last minute higher fares.

My yearly spend ranges between 20-30k a year. Not the highest and not the lowest.

And I am ok with someone who spends more then I do being listed before me for a benefit. I am just glad that the main basis is a rolling 12 month tally and not just the last year amount.

I am also happy that AA doesn't look at the one timers who buy a full fare ticket as the most deserving of all the benefits that a consistent possibly lower fare customer gets.

I am looking forward to my next few flights and seeing where I land on the list. And seeing if my upgrade percentage goes up for the rest of the year.
AA has made clear that they care only about revenue. What's the difference how they get the revenue?
Old May 25, 2017, 12:09 pm

Programs: AA Exp Plat / Marriott Titanium/ Hyatt Globalist/ Delta Diamond Medallion
Originally Posted by jay_dubya
That's incorrect. Upgrades on eligible award tickets for EP/CK will be complimentary.
I believe you are incorrect, please provide a source. The EXP desk said you have to use 500 mile upgrades for award ticket upgrades.
Old May 25, 2017, 1:06 pm

Programs: AA EXP, B6 Mosaic, DL PM
Originally Posted by j1194
I believe you are incorrect, please provide a source. The EXP desk said you have to use 500 mile upgrades for award ticket upgrades.
https://www.aa.com/i18n/aadvantage-p...m-updates.jsp?
Old May 25, 2017, 1:08 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
The AA website disagrees with you. It states EXP receives complimentary upgrades on award tickets and only has to use 500-mile upgrades for companions on award tickets.

https://www.aa.com/i18n/aadvantage-p...s-benefits.jsp
Old May 25, 2017, 1:08 pm

Only if you are flying with someone else who does not have status. The EXP flyer will get complementary upgrades, the guest (if they have no status) will require the EXP to have the appropriate amount of 500 milers available.

That's what the EXP desk told me

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.