Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

2 passengers get op-ups, flight cancelled, black pax moved to Y, white pax stays in F

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2 passengers get op-ups, flight cancelled, black pax moved to Y, white pax stays in F

Search this Thread

Old May 10, 2017, 11:55 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Here it's neither racism nor incompetence. A party of two was given an OPUP (for free). Then the flight was cancelled and they were rebooked onto a flight with only one remaining FC seat. At that point, one person was given the FC seat for free and the other got a seat in coach, which agrees with the fare that had been paid for both seats.

This was apparently all done by computer. IMO the computer did two things wrong:

Rebooking an OPUPed passenger into a premium cabin on the new flight. The OPUP was only needed for the flight which was not flown. Both passengers should have been rebooked in coach, with the one FC seat being given to an elite or nonrev who was entitled to it.

If one passenger on a PNR was going to be treated better, status should count, even if it's only an affiliated credit card. Otherwise, give the better treatment to the lead passenger.

Better yet, explain this to both passengers during the first interaction after the flight cancellation and rebooking, and let them choose if one of them want to take the FC seat and, if so, who would take the upgrade.

If the descriptions of what happened later are correct (just involving one FA? or a GA too?), then it's surprising that an airline employee isn't accustomed to the idea of a white person and a black person traveling together and/or wishing to sit together. That's bad behavior by an individual employee or maybe a couple employees, but not something that AA itself did wrong, assuming that they're selecting and training employees appropriately.
Old May 10, 2017, 11:57 am

Just curious if anyone was there and witnessed this live or did you all read and article and become speculative experts?
Old May 10, 2017, 12:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist

Better yet, explain this to both passengers during the first interaction after the flight cancellation and rebooking, and let them choose if one of them want to take the FC seat and, if so, who would take the upgrade.
That's the issue. They only explained it to white friend while ignoring the exact same questions from black friend.
The operational issue and it's resolution wasn't racist. Ghosting a black woman passenger while responding politely and in detail to her white friend while both are asking the same questions about what happened is racism - or certainly any rational person would say it appears so.
Old May 10, 2017, 12:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Can't journalists tell the difference?
Yes, they can. But...

Originally Posted by SeaHawg
All they think about are clicks.
...the news media is no longer in the business of delivering objective facts and meaningful analysis to the public, and therefore they employ very few journalists.

Today, the news media is the business of delivering eyeballs to advertisers, so they look to employ personalities and commentators instead, with heavy preference for those that can play up current moods and reduce complex issues to 10-second sound bites.

It really is that simple.
Old May 10, 2017, 2:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA/DL/UA
Originally Posted by rickg523
That's the issue. They only explained it to white friend while ignoring the exact same questions from black friend.
The operational issue and it's resolution wasn't racist. Ghosting a black woman passenger while responding politely and in detail to her white friend while both are asking the same questions about what happened is racism - or certainly any rational person would say it appears so.
You weren't there and you are basing your arguments entirely on the black woman who clearly is playing the race card. Read the article and her over-the-top stupid comments.
Old May 10, 2017, 3:11 pm
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PPro/DL PLT, PPass, Marriott / Hilton Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Hertz Presidents Circle, Amex Plat
Next time I miss an upgrade, I will play the discrimination card, will send a tweet to all news outlets, and will ask for a big compensation. Stay tuned
Old May 10, 2017, 5:09 pm
Suspended

I would imagine that they couldn't even tell she was black by her name alone..heck a computer probably ran the numbers on status and fare-refund costs. Sounds like a shakedown to me.

And we don't know that the United emps who did it..if they did it..were white.
Old May 10, 2017, 6:53 pm

How can the passenger prove its due to racism. I have seen equal amount of white and African Americans sitting in First Class. Whether its their company or personal means who booked them I see the downgrade was not due to race because anyone could have been downgraded for many reasons.

If we continue to use race as an excuse for a lawsuit especially if you can't prove it then by all means we are abusing race to get ahead. Now if it can be proven that you were denied service and were told" Sir we are downgrading you because you are African American" then that is considered discrimination due to race.

Anyone could say that race played into downgrades, poor hotel rooms etc but it has to be proven.
Old May 10, 2017, 6:57 pm

Originally Posted by NavSTL
So, I have a slightly different read on things, based on flight patterns between SDF and CLT around the time in question. Nobody comes out of it smelling rosy.

Based on the linked article, the flight in question was AA5389 on May 2. I can't find any cancellations SDF-CLT on May 1, but 5389 usually flies a CR9 and on that day flew a CR7--so it seems more likely the pax were not op-upped at all but, per their own account, purchased upgrades at check-in, and the flight was then downgauged.

Here beginneth speculation: Sabre bumped the three lowest-priority upgrades from F and, because Sabre gonna Sabre, sent everybody to the very back of Y. Whatever coin flip it used to split the two pax on the same PNR ended up picking the black passenger. This is very bad optics, of course--white up front, black to the back--but innocuous at its core. My white male frequent-flyer posterior has been stationed lav-adjacent more than once after seat shuffles for whatever reason; stuff happens, and to be fair the complainant seemed to acknowledge as much in her statements. So far, so nothing.

If gate staff were replying to the white passenger's questions and ghosting the black passenger, though... hoo boy, they deserve to get keelhauled for it. On board, it's hard to parse what happened; could've been genuine slights by the crew, could've been that by that point the pax were in such a state that everything was going to seem untoward.

Other than that, there is naught but to chuckle at a DYKWIA from a Citi AAdvantage Platinum Select World Elite cardholder...'s friend, and to pity the poor chump at PSA (it was a regional service) who's getting kicked up one wall and down the other by the mothership's PR department.
But AMEX Platinum is more prestigious than the Platinum Select( notice Select is the qualifier) World Elite Master Card from AA.
Old May 10, 2017, 7:07 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by danielonn
But AMEX Platinum is more prestigious than the Platinum Select( notice Select is the qualifier) World Elite Master Card from AA.
I don't think AA has partnership deals with AmEx. That would be DL (and AC, BA, IIRC CX, etc.)
Old May 10, 2017, 8:20 pm

Programs: gate lice
I'm kind of disappointed in the number of posters who assume the worst of another person and accused pax of playing the race card to get money from AA.

Not everyone is as savvy as us FTers. Someone who assumes her Citi-platinum-whatever card makes her just as important a CK or EXP clearly isn't familiar with commercial aviation. Perhaps she did not understand how op-ups and downgrades work, and felt as if race was the distinguishing factor. That doesn't make her a scheming, evil person.
Old May 10, 2017, 9:51 pm

Originally Posted by leungy18
I'm kind of disappointed in the number of posters who assume the worst of another person and accused pax of playing the race card to get money from AA.

Not everyone is as savvy as us FTers. Someone who assumes her Citi-platinum-whatever card makes her just as important a CK or EXP clearly isn't familiar with commercial aviation. Perhaps she did not understand how op-ups and downgrades work, and felt as if race was the distinguishing factor. That doesn't make her a scheming, evil person.
I agree. If she had a first boarding pass and was then ordered to the back, not surprised she didn't understand.
Old May 10, 2017, 9:58 pm

Originally Posted by ashill
...race-based microagressions...
oh PLEASE lol

What race to you put in the box that it asks for it on aa.com when you buy a ticket?
oh yeah, the race identity question DOESN'T EXIST so the computer doesn't know if you're black white or purple when it rebooks you.
good grief.
Old May 10, 2017, 10:31 pm

Originally Posted by leungy18
The computer is racist now? That is a new one.

The entire interaction boils down to her being the victim of racism, and it appears as if she had decided that was the case from the start.
Old May 11, 2017, 4:46 am

Programs: AA LP pleb, QR Plat., Bonvoy Ti, IHG Diamond Amb, Foolish Hoarder of Miles, Fid. Def.
Originally Posted by theddo
The computer is racist now? That is a new one.

The entire interaction boils down to her being the victim of racism, and it appears as if she had decided that was the case from the start.
And in a vacuum, it's a facially legitimate assumption: from the point of view of the uninitiated passenger at the airport (rather than the great and exalted oracles of Helix rating we have knocking around here), two passengers walked up to the gate with first-class boarding passes, one (white) got to board unchallenged, the other (black) got sent to sit under the engines. That's all the pax saw. WE know it was just the booking system being colorblind; THEY only knew a very human gate agent took a black passenger's first-class BP and replaced it with a last-class one with no explanation, and things only got weirder from there.

I'm not saying the passengers have a legit basis to complain about the downgrade, but from a customer service perspective, you have to be aware that when you turf a passenger of color but leave the white person next to her alone, the optics are obvious but your neutral-to-benign intentions are not. Criminy, is it too much to ask that people--in this case both agents AND pax--take a few seconds to try to understand the other side?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.