Wiki Posts
Search

AA or CX Booking

Search this Thread

Old May 8, 2017, 2:18 pm
Nde
Original Poster

Question AA or CX Booking

Hello all, I have read many pages here. Little confuse still.

Trying to book a Prem Econ from LAX to HKG round trip over this summer.

I'm very close to reaching AA Gold (I know, its not Platinum), but its a big achievement to me. Couldn't decide if I should book via AA or CX.

The fare is E if I book via CX. The web site below is very confusing, like all airline fine prints.

https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...ay-pacific.jsp

1. I assume E fares do not go to AA if I book via CX?
2. If I book via AA, seating assignment may not open till later. Does that sound about right?

Appreciate your input. Thanks.
Old May 8, 2017, 4:14 pm

Programs: MPC,CA,MU,AF
As the questions are about getting AA status and miles if booking CX and also seat assignments if booking AA, members in the AA forum can help better. I am moving the thread to the AA forum.

cxfan1960
CX CoMod
Old May 8, 2017, 4:34 pm

Programs: UA *G, BA Silver
Who you book through doesn't matter - what does matter is the flight numbers (AA codeshares earn as though AA metal and CX flight numbers earn by CX table).

Either way you should get 1.5 EQMs for the flight and then if you book AA#s you'll get your normal EQDs according to the fare, but if you have book CX#s then you'll get 20 cents credited per mile flown.

So, if you pay $2000 and the flight is 7500 miles each way, then with AA flight numbers you would earn about 1750 EQDs, whereas with CX flight numbers you would earn 3000 EQDs.

Also, if you have any means to upgrade a cX-operated flight, then you'll almost certainly better off with CX flight numbers.
Old May 8, 2017, 5:05 pm

It is far more beneficial to book a CAthay ticket with CX flight numbers but credit the miles to your AAdvantage account. You will get 10,871 Elite Qualifying miles each way and $1450 Elite Qualifying Dollars each way. This PE round trip alone will bring you close to Gold on American. If you are already close to Gold then this will bring you close to Platinum.
Old May 8, 2017, 9:04 pm
Nde
Original Poster

Wow, you guys are great. I don't know where to enter the AA number at Cathay Pacific. Looks like I have Asia Miles left from a few years back. I will give CX a call tomorrow. Thanks all.
Old May 15, 2017, 2:19 pm

Originally Posted by Nde
Hello all, I have read many pages here. Little confuse still.

Trying to book a Prem Econ from LAX to HKG round trip over this summer.

I'm very close to reaching AA Gold (I know, its not Platinum), but its a big achievement to me. Couldn't decide if I should book via AA or CX.

The fare is E if I book via CX. The web site below is very confusing, like all airline fine prints.

https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...ay-pacific.jsp

1. I assume E fares do not go to AA if I book via CX?
2. If I book via AA, seating assignment may not open till later. Does that sound about right?

Appreciate your input. Thanks.
I just flew this route a three weeks ago. I booked CX flight with an E class fare (premium economy) and provided my AA FF. I got 10371 EQMs and $1383 EQD on AA. Base miles 6914 & 8297 bonus miles on AA.
Old May 15, 2017, 2:21 pm

Programs: AA EXP, B6 Mosaic, DL PM
Originally Posted by hwbudden
I just flew this route a three weeks ago. I booked CX flight with an E class fare (premium economy) and provided my AA FF. I got 10371 EQMs and $1383 EQD on AA. Base miles 6914 & 8297 bonus miles on AA.
To clarify - you got 1383 EQD each way, right?
Old May 15, 2017, 10:11 pm

Originally Posted by laagima
It is far more beneficial to book a CAthay ticket with CX flight numbers but credit the miles to your AAdvantage account. You will get 10,871 Elite Qualifying miles each way and $1450 Elite Qualifying Dollars each way. This PE round trip alone will bring you close to Gold on American. If you are already close to Gold then this will bring you close to Platinum.
This is what posted to my AA account on a CX ticket in Premium economy, LAX-HKG-LAX - each way: Base miles 7247 +bonus miles 8697 = total award miles of 15,944 each way, EQM 10,871 each way and EQD $1450 each way.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.