Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Speculation: 2018 Elite Status - fewer elites, perks changes, etc.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Speculation: 2018 Elite Status - fewer elites, perks changes, etc.

Search this Thread

Old May 8, 2017, 8:39 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott BonVoy Titanium Elite, Marriott LT Plat.
Originally Posted by imapilotaz
No there doesnt have to be a physical seat, but it has to be 24 hours in advance. So you cant use this as a last minute, switch flight things.

I've used this perk recently to get on a flight to a small market with 3x daily service, and the only two flights I could use were sold out. I overbooked it with a full Y ticket, paid through the nose and got on without a problem.
Exactly... I was "reminded" of this when I tried to change a departure that became available at the 24 hr. point by CS. No harm... It was all more of the reason for me to sleep in and enjoy the late checkout of 4 PM after all.
Old May 8, 2017, 10:24 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by Biggie Fries
I could have written this, too; and then written it again for the 4 that my wife had (I sort of pushed her into making Exec Plat to compensate for the 8 to 4 loss). Anyhow, I can't kick about that, although when you are flying leisure with spouse (or whoever) you sort of lose something in not knowing until day or two before / last minute whether you are going to have a nice start (end) to the vacation or not.

We've both also cleared on all domestic upgrades this year.

But there haven't been so many. AA identified me (us) for the chiselers that we are, and after (for me) five years as US CP or AA Exec Plat, I'm done. We'll probably both clear into Plat and book ahead so that we can get exit-row aisles next year in Y on domestic. I'm working Amex MR points as hard as I can to book (cheap) paid J to Europe in future trips, maybe on AA, maybe not.

Even for someone who spends way too much time traveling and on this hobby, the pettiness of the EQD stuff and the impossibility (for me, using so many different pay mechanisms [TYPs, MRs, booking on BA, etc.) of figuring out how many EQDs you get until after the fact ... I'll miss the status, but I lack the energy (and money, I guess) to keep it going.
Despite how miserable I am sitting in coach on their stupidly cramped planes for hours at a time when I miss an upgrade, the thing I hate most about traveling is being away from my family. Now that I don't have a few extra upgrades to try to use - ON A SPACE AVAILABLE BASIS - for int'l coach flights when they can come along, AA has highlighted one more reason for me to just buy business...on which ever airline offers me the best value.

I am actually pretty pumped to fly Delta F tomorrow for the first time. Starting to explore the other options despite being based at DFW.
Old May 8, 2017, 11:39 pm

Programs: AA EXP/4MM UA 1MM, HY Global, Bon Lft Plat, HH Dia
There is no EXP desk as far as I can see. The agent gets an identifier and they are trained to identify as EXP.

I cannot believe the number of unknowledgable and incompetent agents that I've encountered who answered as EXP. To the extent of not knowing city codes where AA is the service provider.

It makes one appreciate the knowledgable and helpful agents that are truly EXP.
Old May 9, 2017, 6:47 am

Originally Posted by dlflyer2
There is no EXP desk as far as I can see. The agent gets an identifier and they are trained to identify as EXP.

I cannot believe the number of unknowledgable and incompetent agents that I've encountered who answered as EXP. To the extent of not knowing city codes where AA is the service provider.

It makes one appreciate the knowledgable and helpful agents that are truly EXP.
+1 ^
Old Aug 13, 2017, 9:00 am

Programs: US -Plat, UA-Plat, AA-Plat, Marriott - Platinum,
I think the new boarding process is a good step toward simplification so even the most rookie of flyer should understand...then again I was standing next to a person who was group 4 and kept asking when is Priority going? They're on group 3, I guess we're really not priority.

My frustration this morning is I finally have increased my travel and after several years of only being able to achieve platinum I would have made EXP if it weren't that annoying EQD requirement. 110K miles but $2500 shy of the EQD threshold. I am exclusively a domestic flyer. At this point I would almost be willing to pay up the difference because of my anticipated travel in 2018.
Old Aug 13, 2017, 10:59 am

Location: USA & UK -- AA EXP 3.5MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by PA Pilot
... I would have made EXP if it weren't that annoying EQD requirement. 110K miles but $2500 shy of the EQD threshold. I am exclusively a domestic flyer. At this point I would almost be willing to pay up the difference because of my anticipated travel in 2018.
You just might be in luck. AA routinely sends buy-up offers to people who almost qualified based on last-year activity. There's also a page on AA.com where you can check to see if you "qualify" for any buy-up offers, known as a "status boost".

The program has already ended for 2017, but look for it to jump back to life in a few months.

https://elite.americanairlines.com
Old Aug 13, 2017, 4:59 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AA Gold, FB Gold, ITA Volare Executive
My frustration this morning is I finally have increased my travel and after several years of only being able to achieve platinum I would have made EXP if it weren't that annoying EQD requirement. 110K miles but $2500 shy of the EQD threshold. I am exclusively a domestic flyer. At this point I would almost be willing to pay up the difference because of my anticipated travel in 2018.
Think about getting -- now! -- the Barclays' AAdvantage Aviator Red Mastercard, and running up $25,000 in charges between now and the end of the year. Will get you 3000 EQDs. Yeah, it's a lot of money, but put all your regular spend on it, use Plastiq to pay things like property tax and contractors that you would normally not put on a credit card, pay a few thousand in utility bills in advance... It will end up being a lot cheaper for you than whatever AA will want to boost you up to Exec Plat again.
Old Aug 13, 2017, 5:40 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HH DIA, Hyatt DIA
Not sure if you've already flown all 110K miles or if some of that is planned travel. If the latter, can't you just buy fully flexible first class fares close to the date of travel to get the extra $$. Naturally, this isn't the best use of money as you're just paying AA extra, but could be useful for routes where upgrades are hard to come by.
Old Aug 16, 2017, 11:38 am

Programs: us air, delta, american
Can someone please explain the new policy to me? I am currently Platinum pro, but do I need Miles + $ + segments to keep my status, or can I just reach it with Miles only? Or do I need Miles + $9000?
Old Aug 16, 2017, 11:43 am

Programs: AA EXP & 1MM (Lifetime Gold); Marriott Gold; National Exec Emerald's
Originally Posted by shappens
Can someone please explain the new policy to me? I am currently Platinum pro, but do I need Miles + $ + segments to keep my status, or can I just reach it with Miles only? Or do I need Miles + $9000?
You need miles + $9k or segments + $9k. You must achieve the dollars.
shappens likes this.
Old Aug 16, 2017, 12:34 pm

Programs: AA Gold, AS MVP, WN A-List, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Exp, Hertz PC
As it stands I'm looking at 50k+ EQM but ~2k EQD.

Oh well.
Old Aug 21, 2017, 4:30 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium.;UA 1.5MM; UA Lifetime Gold (whoppee); DL Plat
Originally Posted by ellinj
In regards to SWUs at least I can buy Y+ and be satisfied with my seat. I have been booking BA Y+ rather than risk not getting an upgrade.
I buy BA WT+ and pretty regularly (50% of the time) get a gate UG to Club World, plus the great earnings that are mileage based.
Old Aug 21, 2017, 11:00 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AA LT Gold, SPG Plat 75
Originally Posted by boss315
I buy BA WT+ and pretty regularly (50% of the time) get a gate UG to Club World, plus the great earnings that are mileage based.
lucky you. The last time I flew BA, they kept insisting I had no status despite my AA EXP number being correctly attached to the reservation and printed on the boarding pass.

To clarify, the number was attached. But in their system it showed I had 0 status.
Old Aug 21, 2017, 11:22 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by shappens
Did you buy up to platinum pro? Otherwise, your status was earned this year (first year AA decided to make it an official tier) and it should be valid through January of 2019

If you bought up to platinum pro this year, exactly what LMB01 said

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.