Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Speculation: 2018 Elite Status - fewer elites, perks changes, etc.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Speculation: 2018 Elite Status - fewer elites, perks changes, etc.

Search this Thread

Old May 6, 2017, 10:48 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by Beltway2A
I've found that OW partner awards are still plentiful. I haven't been able to find AA metal awards, but in every circumstance other than BA J, I'd prefer to fly with a partner anyway. It just means my positioning flights are out of pocket (which is annoying).
If I may ask, how do you search for partner awards? AA obviously isn't listing them. Short of calling up AA to check is there any other way? When I called AA for travel in NE Asia in July, they told me all saver awards for AA and partner were gone for the entire month. One way economy would cost 67.5k on Cathay and that would be the best they could do 😳
Old May 6, 2017, 11:39 am

Programs: AA Ex Platinum & 1MM, DL PLT, Marriott Gold, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by moonwoo
How hard or easy is it to clear an SWU anyway? I heard people not using up their 4 because they couldn't. If that's true maybe going from 8 to 4 doesn't make a difference anyway? Regardless.. not a good thing
I had 3 left @ the end of '16 that I not only couldn't use, but couldn't give away for anyone else to use. I strongly suspect I am not the only one who ended up in that position.

I also believe AA will use those data points as an excuse to further reduce SWU's going forward on the grounds that they aren't being used anyway. The fact that AA reduced (eliminated) seats they could be used on will not, of course, be included in this rationale.
Old May 6, 2017, 12:08 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by txrus
The fact that AA reduced (eliminated) seats they could be used on will not, of course, be included in this rationale.
Where did AA eliminate the use of SWUs? As far as I know they can still be used on any paid fare, just like it's been for years.
Old May 6, 2017, 12:19 pm

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT; AS MVP Gold75k; HHonors Diamond; IHG PLT
For me, the most telling indication of AA's perception of elites is the recent change in the boarding process: They now only recognize Concierge Key customers, even EXPs are nothing more than a number. Some may suggest this was done to simplify the process, cut down on gate lice, priority access holders from credit cards attempting to board with first class, I would beg to differ.
Old May 6, 2017, 12:26 pm

Programs: AA Ex Platinum & 1MM, DL PLT, Marriott Gold, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by rjw242
Where did AA eliminate the use of SWUs? As far as I know they can still be used on any paid fare, just like it's been for years.
Yes, they can still be used IF you can find flights w/the correct inventory available to use them on.
Old May 6, 2017, 12:28 pm

Originally Posted by txrus
Yes, they can still be used IF you can find flights w/the correct inventory available to use them on.
But any flight with open seats will at some point release inventory. We've seen no evidence of flights going out with empty J seats while SWUs or other upgrades are still pending.
Old May 6, 2017, 1:24 pm

Originally Posted by diver858
For me, the most telling indication of AA's perception of elites is the recent change in the boarding process: They now only recognize Concierge Key customers, even EXPs are nothing more than a number. Some may suggest this was done to simplify the process, cut down on gate lice, priority access holders from credit cards attempting to board with first class, I would beg to differ.
How does "recognition" really help anyone? I mean honestly is it that big a deal to be identified with whatever status level one has as one tries to part the mass of humanity clogging the gate area? "Step aside people, here come's Mr. Platinum, and now people, make way for our returning guest Mrs. Gold." Just give us good service and ways to use our points at redemption rates that aren't penalty amounts like 30k each way in coach for domestic travel.
yeeeeperdiems likes this.
Old May 6, 2017, 1:45 pm

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT; AS MVP Gold75k; HHonors Diamond; IHG PLT
Originally Posted by LovePrunes
How does "recognition" really help anyone? I mean honestly is it that big a deal to be identified with whatever status level one has as one tries to part the mass of humanity clogging the gate area? "Step aside people, here come's Mr. Platinum, and now people, make way for our returning guest Mrs. Gold." Just give us good service and ways to use our points at redemption rates that aren't penalty amounts like 30k each way in coach for domestic travel.
I consider it is a reflection of how management perceives its best customers, rather than an opportunity for elites to parade in front of kettles.
Old May 6, 2017, 1:47 pm

I consider it is a reflection of how management perceives its best customers ...
And they indeed still provide explicit recognition of Concierge Key members.
Old May 6, 2017, 6:03 pm

Location: Bangkok, Thailand. No longer Palm Coast, FL though still exiled, again, from the Bay Area.
Programs: Only the good ones
Originally Posted by moonwoo
If I may ask, how do you search for partner awards? AA obviously isn't listing them. Short of calling up AA to check is there any other way? When I called AA for travel in NE Asia in July, they told me all saver awards for AA and partner were gone for the entire month. One way economy would cost 67.5k on Cathay and that would be the best they could do &#12 8563;
As I mentioned in post #12 , they show up on BA, CX, or JL's website when searching for awards. Possibly QF's also, but I don't use that.
Old May 7, 2017, 4:20 am

Programs: LH HON
I consider it is a reflection of how management perceives its best customers, rather than an opportunity for elites to parade in front of kettles.
But that's exactly what they're doing. Not that I really care about boarding first, but it's simply a nice touch.
Old May 7, 2017, 8:16 am

Programs: AA LP pleb, QR Plat., Bonvoy Ti, IHG Diamond Amb, Foolish Hoarder of Miles, Fid. Def.
I'm fairly baffled by this interpretation of the new boarding process. As I see it, the straight numbering system is meant to reduce the nuisance of having armies of "group 1" (but really group 5) pax invading the boarding lanes as soon as the agent picks up the mic. There are plenty of holders of "executive," "platinum" and "gold" credit cards who are plenty green as flyers, too. So, simplify. No sense in getting bent out of shape over it, unless your service standard is having the gate agent announce status like graduation honors at commencement.
yeeeeperdiems likes this.
Old May 7, 2017, 8:22 am

Programs: American EXP; British Airways Gold
Originally Posted by NavSTL
I'm fairly baffled by this interpretation of the new boarding process. As I see it, the straight numbering system is meant to reduce the nuisance of having armies of "group 1" (but really group 5) pax invading the boarding lanes as soon as the agent picks up the mic. There are plenty of holders of "executive," "platinum" and "gold" credit cards who are plenty green as flyers, too. So, simplify. No sense in getting bent out of shape over it, unless your service standard is having the gate agent announce status like graduation honors at commencement.
....and we all know how painful that entire process is at commencement.
Old May 7, 2017, 9:13 am

Programs: AA EXP 3.8MM AC; UA Silver; Hyatt Globalist; Honors Diamond; Bonvoy LT TTM
I'm guessing that we'll start to see a gradual reduction in EXP numbers very soon. There are always some that slow down travel in a given year, which reduces the numbers of EXPs traveling around. Then, we have new EXP qualifying inside the calendar year, adding to the count. However, with the new spend requirement, that will slow down the volume of new EXPs joining the rank during the calendar year. I'll be interested to see how the experience changes with fewer EXP next year. I've read/heard in a couple of places that estimates are a 20% reduction due to the new spend requirement.
Old May 7, 2017, 9:16 am

Programs: AA Plat/2MM, DL Silver, UA Silver (via Marr), Marr LTT, HH Gold (via cc), Hyatt Disc
Originally Posted by NavSTL
+1 was going to post something like this myself, but the above is 100% aligned with my thoughts

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.