Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Speculation: 2018 Elite Status - fewer elites, perks changes, etc.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Speculation: 2018 Elite Status - fewer elites, perks changes, etc.

Search this Thread

Old May 6, 2017, 8:01 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by LovePrunes
on this race to the bottom, the only improvements to the 2018 program or to any in flight services I'd expect to see at AA would be ones they reluctantly match from other airlines.
I feel that not only is AA matching the bads of other programs, they are taking it one step further.

For example,
1. Adding an EQD requirement and not allowing FF who spend more than 25k a year a waiver like Delta does for their elites. Oh and no EQD booster for Citi card holders???
2. Introducing basic economy and now 29 inch seat pitch? - I hope those seats don't recline...
3. Making it impossible to find saver awards.

List goes on..

Like I mentioned before, I'll make Plat Pro for sure and maybe barely squeak in EXP (with all the help from Barclays Aviator Silver EQD and EQM boosters). With that, I'll have the lowest EQD among all EXPs even if I make it, and will end up at the bottom of the upgrade list among all EXPs anyway. So what's the point of getting to EXP? Impossible to use SWU from what I hear and occasional First Class lounges on international travel? Personally, I felt like the Business Class lounges I've visited as a OW Sapphire was just fine... That's why I started giving some of my business to Delta and WN. Quite honestly didn't want to spend double on a coach ticket just to fly AA (which I would have done up until now).

Anyone else in my boat? Anyone decide to gun for EXP?

Originally Posted by JonNYC
Personally, I'm not expecting any major changes, I think they've gotten where they felt they needed to be with all the major changes in the last 2-3 years.
I heard they were doing the whole milestone reward stuff a few years ago. Wonder why they took that away. I heard a lot of people liking it. Of course that was before my FF days.

Last edited by JY1024; May 6, 2017 at 8:34 pm Reason: Merged consecutive posts - please use multiquote feature
Old May 6, 2017, 8:05 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by moonwoo
I heard they were doing the whole milestone reward stuff a few years ago. Wonder why they took that away. I heard a lot of people liking it. Of course that was before my FF days.
I think that program was intended to mollify people who reached, e.g., 80k or 150k EQM without achieving higher status or other perks. With Platinum Pro and extra SWUs, that issue is more or less resolved.
Old May 6, 2017, 8:08 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by rjw242
I think that program was intended to mollify people who reached, e.g., 80k or 150k EQM without achieving higher status or other perks. With Platinum Pro and extra SWUs, that issue is more or less resolved.
Yep.
Old May 6, 2017, 8:15 am

Programs: AA EXP, AA Million Miles, Hilton Diamond
If by "extra SWUs" you mean earning back the 4 that were removed from the program, then sure.

That 8-->4 cut remains the only recent program change that truly bothers me.
Old May 6, 2017, 8:19 am

Originally Posted by bse118
If by "extra SWUs" you mean earning back the 4 that were removed from the program, then sure.

Not sure how that's relevant to my point, as time travel hasn't yet been invented.
Old May 6, 2017, 8:20 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum; Hilton Diamond
...That 8-->4 cut remains the only recent program change that truly bothers me.
Same here.
Old May 6, 2017, 8:24 am
Original Poster

How hard or easy is it to clear an SWU anyway? I heard people not using up their 4 because they couldn't. If that's true maybe going from 8 to 4 doesn't make a difference anyway? Regardless.. not a good thing
Old May 6, 2017, 8:25 am

Programs: AA EXP, AA Million Miles, Hilton Diamond
Not sure how that's relevant to my point, as time travel hasn't yet been invented.
Defensive much?

The relevancy is that I have a hard time seeing the ability to earn something that was recently a given as a benefit. It's how the program is structured, and that's the way things are, OK. But it doesn't "mollify" me to earn back previous benefits.

How hard or easy is it to clear an SWU anyway? I heard people not using up their 4 because they couldn't. If that's true maybe going from 8 to 4 doesn't make a difference anyway? Regardless.. not a good thing
I am 4 for 4 on my SWU requests this year. All on international longhuals, 1 cleared at booking, 2 more than 24 hours in advance, and 1 at the gate. One third of the year in, and no more more SWUs.

Last year I was 8 for 8 on SWU requests.

Last edited by bse118; May 6, 2017 at 8:33 am
Old May 6, 2017, 8:41 am
Original Poster

I am 4 for 4 on my SWU requests this year. All on international longhuals, 1 cleared at booking, 2 more than 24 hours in advance, and 1 at the gate. One third of the year in, and no more more SWUs.

Last year I was 8 for 8 on SWU requests.
Ok that's a lot better than what I heard. Thanks for letting me know. I guess I'll see if I end up making the EQD threshold this year.
Old May 6, 2017, 8:48 am

The one big thing we've yet to see is how AA's Premium Economy product is rolled out. I have some (very faint) hope that there will end up being at least reasonable costs and award availability for it.
Old May 6, 2017, 8:52 am

The relevancy is that I have a hard time seeing the ability to earn something that was recently a given as a benefit. It's how the program is structured, and that's the way things are, OK. But it doesn't "mollify" me to earn back previous benefits.
Presumably the people who joined AA for the new program are cool with it.
Old May 6, 2017, 8:57 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by George Purcell
The one big thing we've yet to see is how AA's Premium Economy product is rolled out. I have some (very faint) hope that there will end up being at least reasonable costs and award availability for it.
I'm not too optimistic... Especially since there arent even any saver "economy" award whatsoever.

I am also afraid that they are going to make SWU go from coach to premium economy (I don't like the way it's worded on their website). Would that be a deal breaker for you guys?

"AAdvantage awards and upgrades into Premium Economy aren’t available now, but will be at a later date.

For now, you can upgrade to Business from Main Cabin and Premium Economy using your AAdvantage miles or systemwide upgrades."

I fly the Korea route often. AA has their premium economy priced similar to JAL's PE (at least what I'm seeing now). Maybe 100 bucks more from STL (I can fly JAL for ~2050-2150, whereas AA PE cabin prices are consistently 2200). Even if it's the same price, I would rather fly JAL. 1. More EDQs and more importantly 2. JAL premium economy seats are just fantastic as they get no recline from the person in front of you. Very comfortable for long haul too. I highly recommend their 787 (newer seats).
Old May 6, 2017, 9:07 am

I am also afraid that they are going to make SWU go from coach to premium economy (I don't like the way it's worded on their website). Would that be a deal breaker for you guys?
There's another long thread on this, but it's almost a certainty that Premium Economy will ultimately be treated as a separate class of service vis a vis upgrades (just like it is on other airlines).
Old May 6, 2017, 9:26 am

Programs: BA Silver, AA Gold, A3 Gold, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Gold
I fly paid business and clearing SWUs into F ex LHR is really easy. So long as this doesn't change I will stay happy.

Yes it's a pain that F will only be on the 77W once the 772 reforms are done, but I can usually find a way to route on a 77W ex LHR. East coast can be tricky without significant backtracking as there is only 1 LHR JFK rotation on the 77W AFAIK and the timings aren't great for connections following the LHR-JFK segment. Also, if the 77W goes tech (has happened twice to me) it's easier to end up in J and stay in T8 than stay in F and go to T7 to fly BA. First time I opted for the T7 shuffle to get BA F. Second time I couldn't face the upheaval and just stuck with AA in T8 and accepted a downgrade. Did get some miles thrown my way though (unsolicited) and ended up with the SUW back.
Old May 6, 2017, 10:29 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Free Agent
Redeeming miles on AA has been VERY difficult over the past year. Since redeeming a JAL business saver award last June, I haven't been able to use a single mile (mostly because I don't want to pay 240k miles on one round trip business class ticket). To be honest with you, Delta seems to have better redemption options, especially at the saver equivalent level.
I've found that OW partner awards are still plentiful. I haven't been able to find AA metal awards, but in every circumstance other than BA J, I'd prefer to fly with a partner anyway. It just means my positioning flights are out of pocket (which is annoying).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.