FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   Do you tip AC bartenders? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1840906-do-you-tip-ac-bartenders.html)

mcrw00 May 5, 17 5:48 pm

Do you tip AC bartenders?

Interested in hearing what others do regarding tipping or not tipping AC bartenders.

Personally I tip them one dollar per drink as I would at any bar, unless they are outright rude or inattentive.

However, sitting in the BOS club right now I'm noticing not many others seem to do this.

Curious about others' experiences / philosophies toward this.

pmblinn May 5, 17 5:50 pm

I do $1 per drink 100% of the time.

DataPlumber May 5, 17 5:56 pm

Usually $5 for two beers, roughly the same tip I would give if I were paying. Mixed drink$, I tip as I would in any other bar/restaurant.

WiscAZ May 5, 17 5:58 pm

Originally Posted by pmblinn (Post 28274043)
I do $1 per drink 100% of the time.

+1 but only in the US

ORD1Kguy May 5, 17 5:58 pm

Originally Posted by mcrw00 (Post 28274037)
Interested in hearing what others do regarding tipping or not tipping AC bartenders.

Personally I tip them one dollar per drink as I would at any bar, unless they are outright rude or inattentive.

However, sitting in the BOS club right now I'm noticing not many others seem to do this.

Curious about others' experiences / philosophies toward this.

I find not tipping fairly rude. I don't believe there wage is so much that just because are drinks are free they don't deserve something for there effort, especially when dealing so many that don't and they still smile almost every time. I've always felt that a couple of dollars out my pocket will not strap me or ruin my day, but it may just add to theirs.

LovePrunes May 5, 17 6:11 pm

i usually get a soda. I don't usually tip anything on about 10 cents worth of product. more reason i favor the freestyle machines. Call it cheap or whatever you want, but they push a button for 10 seconds and hand it to me. One button one inch to the left on the soda gun the bartender uses is water, which I cant imagine anyone tipping for in a bar. Just my 2 cents.

I will say if I'm there long enough to have several beverages or switch to alcohol, i'll tip a buck every other drink

JonNYC May 5, 17 6:19 pm

Originally Posted by LovePrunes (Post 28274103)
i usually get a soda. I don't usually tip anything on about 10 cents worth of product. more reason i favor the freestyle machines. Call it cheap or whatever you want, but they push a button for 10 seconds and hand it to me. One button one inch to the left on the soda gun the bartender uses is water, which I cant imagine anyone tipping for in a bar. Just my 2 cents.

I will say if I'm there long enough to have several beverages or switch to alcohol, i'll tip a buck every other drink

Yes, that's a bit cheap :)

roadtriper May 5, 17 6:25 pm

Always at least a . Buck a drink. Exceptional service gets better tips.

FWAAA May 5, 17 6:29 pm

In the USA, I always tip bartenders, Admirals Club or not. Outside the USA, depends on the circumstances.

dylanks May 5, 17 6:30 pm

I use my vouchers with my BAEC status and just get bottles of water to bring to my destination. I don't tip for that as it's a cashless transaction that takes about 10 seconds of time, and a $1 tip is more than I would pay for that bottle at a normal store.

JonNYC May 5, 17 6:30 pm

Originally Posted by roadtriper (Post 28274139)
Exceptional service gets better tips.

And vice-versa! @:-)

DataPlumber May 5, 17 6:33 pm

Originally Posted by JonNYC (Post 28274147)
And vice-versa! @:-)

Somebody gets it

AANYC1981 May 5, 17 6:36 pm

Yea of course duh....don't be cheap.

SiempreBCNJFK May 5, 17 6:37 pm

I only use my vouchers in the ACs and almost never have US money on me. So no I don't tip. I understand bartenders and waiters in the US are generally very low paid and work for tips. However, I'm not sure the employees in the AC working behind the bar fall into that category.

Often1 May 5, 17 6:43 pm

I always tip according to local custom, e.g., always in the US. Doesn't matter whether the drink is paid for, free or a voucher.

You don't need to rationalize not tipping. If you don't want to, don't. It's cheap, but you don't have to, so don't.