Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Do you tip AC bartenders?

Search this Thread

Old May 5, 2017, 9:47 pm

Programs: American Airlines, Marriott, Hertz, Avis
I will normally tip a dollar a drink. Other times (like today) when I'm stuck there for a while I'll tip a 5 with the first drink to make up for the lack of tip on the second. Or third.
Old May 5, 2017, 9:55 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, BA Silver
Originally Posted by AANYC1981
Agreed....no further comment on this topic of cheapskates not tipping whatsoever.
There's a lot of comments from Americans in this thread about how not tipping is the height of rudeness and cheapness and lots of other derogatory comments. You have to understand though that outside North America, there is not anything close to the tipping culture you get in the US or to a lesser extent, in Canada. For example, in Europe, you would almost never tip a bartender for a drink.

That is not to say that one should not learn what the culture is where you are and adapt and I 100% agree that it is not appropriate to say "well we don't tip at home for this so I wont tip here". That said most of the time it is not people not wanting to learn the culture, it is just that in many areas where and when to tip is not clear. In a regular bar where you pay for drinks, it is the custom in the US to tip on each and every drink, this is pretty much 100% established and is very clear. Not tipping in that situation - unless you really don't know this fact - is rude and inappropriate, I agree.

However the fact that this thread exists show that there are situations where when and what to tip in the U.S. is not 100% clear or agreed e.g. this thread shows that in a lounge where drinks are complimentary - people have different views on whether you should tip always, tip just on alcoholic drinks ,tip $1, $2, $5 etc. Some people feel that pouring a soda does not justify a tip, but pouring a glass of wine does (logically is there really any difference in the amount of effort). Although people don't say it, I think the value of the drink is possibly a factor here, e.g. if you are getting a $2 or $3 soda for free, then tipping $1 or $2 seems like a lot for what is supposed to be a free drink, whereas tipping $1 or $2 on a glass of wine that would normally cost $8-$12 seems more reasonable.

Anyway my overall point is that there is not a consensus here, even amongst Americans so I don't think it is helpful to put people down or insult them just because they have a different view to you on what seems to be an area that is not black and white. That said *most* people here seem to agree that you should at least always tip on alcoholic drinks in a U.S. based lounge so that is good to know (I believe I have always done that in the past).

Out of curiosity the rare time I am in ACs, I usually get one or two drink vouchers for a bottle of coke, a smoothie or water with my BA status (you can use them for alcohol too but I don't). When I use these, the bartender takes the bottle of water or bottle of coke out of the fridge and hands it to me in return for the chit/voucher. Would most people agree that tipping for this would not be expected/required?
Old May 5, 2017, 10:07 pm

Originally Posted by Enigma368
There's a lot of comments from Americans in this thread about how not tipping is the height of rudeness and cheapness and lots of other derogatory comments. You have to understand though that outside North America, there is not anything close to the tipping culture you get in the US or to a lesser extent, in Canada. For example, in Europe, you would almost never tip a bartender for a drink.
When in Rome do as the Romans...

When in Asia/Europe/Canada, I don't tip when it isn't generally the custom. Tipping in America is not only a tradition, but proper etiquette. When in America, those who rationalize not tipping are just cheapskates period.

And, no one likes a cheapskate, not even cheapskates themselves. As my Mother used to impress upon me, "don't ever let anyone think your Mother raised a cheap son."

PS - Non tippers in America are just lame freeloaders free-ridiing on the service earned by those who do tip.
Old May 5, 2017, 10:17 pm

Programs: American EXP; British Airways Gold
Originally Posted by Fraser
In ACs I'll usually get a mixed drink so will tip a $1, unless I know I'll be there a while and get multiple drinks then I'll tip $5 first go around. Usually means I get served right away even if there's a few other people waiting.
That's what I'm talking about...
Old May 5, 2017, 10:21 pm

Programs: AA EXP
I always tip in the AC's when drinking alcohol.

Tipping is so prevalent in America because many service industry folks are paid extremely low base wages due to the tipping culture.
Old May 5, 2017, 10:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
I always tip $1 per drink when served by a bartender, and I do not drink alcohol. If I get multiple drinks or (takeout) food as well in the same transaction, I will tip $2.

(That's why I prefer self-serve lounges, where I can get my own drinks without needing to pester a bartender or tip him/her.)

If I leave glasses/plates/etc behind at my seat for the janitorial staff to pick up, I leave a dollar behind tucked under the edge of the plate. It's the right thing to do.

In the domestic clubs, the bartenders and other service workers (shower attendants, janitors, etc) work for contractors like Sodexo and are expected to earn a significant portion of their income from tips. It is simply unacceptable not to tip them. I keep a big stack of $1 bills in my travel wallet specifically for the purpose of tipping.

(Note, however, that it is NOT appropriate or acceptable to tip the front desk AAngels, as they are direct airline employees who earn full salaries and benefits. Just like you would not tip TAs, GAs, FAs, pilots, etc. They are professionals, not service workers.)
Old May 5, 2017, 10:28 pm
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Thank you everyone for your comments. ^

Tipping, especially in US clubs, is a contentious subject that has been re-hashed numerous times across multiple fora on FlyerTalk. In fact, the comments in this thread are a good representation of the diverse points of view on this topic. Since it seems like most views have been presented, we shall close this thread to prevent the usual "piling on" effect. Thanks for your understanding! . /Moderator

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.