Do you tip AC bartenders?

Old May 5, 17, 6:44 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by SiempreBCNJFK View Post
I only use my vouchers in the ACs and almost never have US money on me. So no I don't tip. I understand bartenders and waiters in the US are generally very low paid and work for tips. However, I'm not sure the employees in the AC working behind the bar fall into that category.
You're wrong....that's why people seem so appreciative when they're tipped.

Simple solution which I do: buy a bag of chips (which I won't even eat) and tell them you're putting their tip on that.
Old May 5, 17, 7:03 pm

Always tip with a $2 Bill per drink.
Old May 5, 17, 7:06 pm

Programs: AA, DL, Avis, Enterprise, National, IHG, HH, SPG/MR
I usually give a $1 per drink.

I have an easier time justifying it given the drinks are complimentary. I generally despise tipping "culture" here.
Old May 5, 17, 7:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
If I am not wrong the tips are included in the price of your ticket.
Old May 5, 17, 7:17 pm

Programs: American EXP; British Airways Gold
Tips are included in the price of each glass of Mionetto Prosecco, which the AC sells for about $12.00 plus applicable sales tax.

The same glass of Mionetto Prosecco is FREE at the United Club.
Old May 5, 17, 7:23 pm

Programs: LH SEN, HH Gold
I find tipping in an private airline club to be ridiculous. I wouldn't tip at a friend's garden party. I wouldn't tip at a catered office party. Why should I be tipping at a private airline club that I'm invited into based on my loyalty? But I'm used to Lufthansa clubs where everything is (of course) free and you'd look like a fool for even pulling your wallet out of your pocket.
Old May 5, 17, 7:28 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by Grog View Post
I find tipping in an private airline club to be ridiculous. I wouldn't tip at a friend's garden party. I wouldn't tip at a catered office party. Why should I be tipping at a private airline club that I'm invited into based on my loyalty? I'm used to Lufthansa clubs where everything is free and you'd look like a fool for pulling your wallet out of your pocket.
Totally different circumstances....in the Hamptons you don't tip the staff because it's already taken care of by the classy host...in an airport lounge we're talking about about people who rely on tips from us. In the US it's cheap not to tip service people....It's called situational awareness. Lots of people don't have it, or class.

Last edited by AANYC1981; May 5, 17 at 8:14 pm
Old May 5, 17, 7:33 pm

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
In the US, $1 per drink tip is norm for me..
Old May 5, 17, 7:46 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Former EXP/Current PLT / Total Rewards - Diamond / Hilton HHonors - Gold
If I have cash, I tip $1 / drink (Also only a soda drinker, never alcohol).

I feel self-conscious not tipping when I don't have cash on me, but it's not going to stop me from getting a drink.

I prefer the clubs with self-serve soda machines because I'm never put in this position.
Old May 5, 17, 7:55 pm

Originally Posted by Grog View Post
Why should I be tipping at a private airline club that I'm invited into based on my loyalty?
I am expected to tip at a private country club and private business club where I had to shell out substantial initiation fees and fork over monthly dues.
Old May 5, 17, 8:07 pm

Programs: HH Gold,
I was at the AC in Miami and had two free drink chits. I ordered a Bloody Mary from this great bartender and it was really tasty. I tipped him a $5. The next Bloody Mary was much stronger, but still tasty. And another $5 tip. And I was served the minute I walked up to the crowded bar. I figure if I can afford to pay for the Intl Biz Class ticket that gets me into the AC, I can tip the bartender well for a nice cocktail.
Old May 5, 17, 8:11 pm

Programs: DL 2MM, AA MM, DL Sky Club Life, AA Admirals Club Life, Hilton Gold Life
Are they airline employees or not?

Do they get employee travel vouchers ?

Should I treat them the same as my FA?

or are they just bartenders getting paid typical bartender salaries?
Old May 5, 17, 8:13 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Lomapaseo View Post
Are they airline employees or not?

Do they get employee travel vouchers ?

Should I treat them the same as my FA?

or are they just bartenders getting paid typical bartender salaries?
You seriously cannot tell the difference?
Old May 5, 17, 8:14 pm

I tip on alcoholic beverages, but not on soda. When I get an alcoholic drink, I'm tipping for the bartender's service/expertise in pouring out the right amount and in the right way.

When I get a soda...all they're doing is scooping some ice into a cup and pushing a button. That is no more service than I get at the McDonald's drive-thru. I don't tip at McD's for that, and neither do I tip at the AC for that.
Old May 5, 17, 8:19 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA LTPlat; Marriott Titanium (LTP); Hilton Dia; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
When I travel I carry a few rolls of $1 coins. When in an AC, I always tip one dollar per drink regardless of whether it's a beer, mixed drink or soft drink.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: