FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   Bonus promotion with AA (shopping/dining) partners: 2k/5k/10k [ended Jun 2017] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1840868-bonus-promotion-aa-shopping-dining-partners-2k-5k-10k-ended-jun-2017-a.html)

LovePrunes May 5, 2017 12:40 pm

Bonus promotion with AA (shopping/dining) partners: 2k/5k/10k [ended Jun 2017]

just got this new bonus offer via email, reminded me of old USAir promos
the more partner transactions, the bigger the bonus

not seeing it on aa.com yet. it was emailed to me for subscribing to aa.com promotions, no code, doesn't appear to be targeted, and nothing to register for. it said:
"Earn up to 10,000 bonus milesWhether it’s Mom’s or Dad’s special day, graduation or an upcoming birthday, the more you transact with participating partners through June 15, the more American Airlines AAdvantage® bonus miles you can earn.
  • Transact with 2 partners, earn 2,000 bonus miles
  • Transact with 3 partners, earn 5,000 bonus miles
  • Transact with all 4 partners, earn 10,000 bonus miles"
1800 flowers, eshopping, aadining, and wine, appear to be the partners
clicking the links in the email didn't bring up any fine print or minimum spending requirements. They just opened up normal partner windows to buy stuff. Seems like a potentially cheap way to get 10k miles

Edited to add:
there are now terms and a post on aa.com
https://www.aa.com/i18n/aadvantage-p...|MULTI-PARTNER
min spends now thru 6/15:
flowers...whatever minimum you can buy,,,say $30?
dining..$25
shopping..$50
wine...$41

so its about $146 for 10,000 miles by my math, or about 1.46 cents per mile (not including the base miles for the actual transactions...whatever those are, like 30 miles per dollar for flowers, etc). plus the work to do the orders, but hey, if you're going to do any of these activities or can do it with OPM, it's 10k miles you would't otherwise have.

JonNYC May 5, 2017 12:41 pm

Feels like they're giving away ice in the winter.

The smallest state May 5, 2017 1:08 pm

Good find. LovePrunes. I haven't seen this but for 10k bonus, I'm interested.

eponymous_coward May 5, 2017 1:51 pm

Originally Posted by JonNYC (Post 28272854)
Feels like they're giving away ice in the winter.

I figure 10k miles + the dregs in my account is good for an AS one way domestic coach redemption worth $100-200. ;)

UserMark May 5, 2017 2:11 pm

It's not cheap. There are restrictions about what transactions are "qualifying".
https://www.aa.com/i18n/aadvantage-p...|MULTI-PARTNER

The smallest state May 5, 2017 3:15 pm

Its kind of an interesting offer. Lets say you do all four using the cheapest I could find/qualify.

- 800 Flowers. Choose a (for this site) cheapest flowers I could find. $39.99. x 30miles = 1170 miles
- AA Shopping. $50.00 minimum. Choose some Barnes and Noble books $50.00 x miles = 100 miles
- AA Dining. $25.00 minimum. Choose a $27.00 dollar meal. Add in tip (no miles) $31.00 = 27 miles
- Vinesse Wines. $41.94 for 6 wines. $41.94 =3000 miles

add in 10000 bonus miles.

So for $162.93 one can get 14297 miles. Plus I got a meal, flowers to mom, some books and six bottles of wine.

I think that’s a deal……….

moonwoo May 5, 2017 4:08 pm

I wonder if you have to stay a member of that wine club. AA specifically says miles will be deposited by September and you won't receive the bonus miles if transaction is canceled. So would that mean that's true even for memberships? I'm not a wine drinker so I'll definitely cancel after getting 6 bottles for sure

The smallest state May 5, 2017 4:47 pm

Originally Posted by moonwoo (Post 28273739)
I wonder if you have to stay a member of that wine club. AA specifically says miles will be deposited by September and you won't receive the bonus miles if transaction is canceled. So would that mean that's true even for memberships? I'm not a wine drinker so I'll definitely cancel after getting 6 bottles for sure

The way I read it, you get the bonus at 10000 miles.

I signed up my in-laws, wine gives me a bad-morning-after. Which has more to do with the amount I drink not the fact that I drink wine per se.

moonwoo May 5, 2017 6:09 pm

Ok I guess if that's the case, I'll send it to my mother in law for Mother's Day and cash in the 10k miles then cancel the wine membership

Atxbobcat May 5, 2017 6:12 pm

Originally Posted by moonwoo (Post 28273739)

it is supposed to be a no obligation, cancel anytime type of membership. So I think the canceled transaction would be more along the lines of a purchase, then return as opposed to a sign up and then discontinue service. But then again, I was under the impression that you would need to tack on the second month at full price in order to be a qualifying transaction.

LovePrunes May 5, 2017 6:20 pm

it says do 2, 3, or 4 transactions. doesn't seem to indicate your transaction with the wine people has to be a subscription for multiple months

jim5518 May 5, 2017 6:30 pm

The wine club likes to bill a high amount for the second month. Make sure you cancel before then. Lot of reviews on the web.

Atxbobcat May 5, 2017 7:18 pm

T&Cs

Pulled this directly from their Vinesse website at the bottom of their page:

Member must be active for 21 days following the deposit of their shipment in order for bonus miles to be awarded. Additionally, if the promotion is expired or a mileage account is not provided, no enrollment miles will be awarded to the member's account.

So, I am assuming that as long as you adhere to this then it will be considered a qualifying transaction for the purpose of this tiered promotion.

Exiled in Express May 5, 2017 7:23 pm

Is there a registration required for this? Easy 5,000 miles, I am not touching the wine club given the reviews.

I have been playing the Delta partner promo as well, it looks to be a summer of bonus miles.

EDIT:
There is also a $15/$50 Amex offer out there so spend a little more and double dip

moonwoo May 5, 2017 9:36 pm

Originally Posted by Atxbobcat (Post 28274268)
Pulled this directly from their Vinesse website at the bottom of their page:

Member must be active for 21 days following the deposit of their shipment in order for bonus miles to be awarded. Additionally, if the promotion is expired or a mileage account is not provided, no enrollment miles will be awarded to the member's account.

So, I am assuming that as long as you adhere to this then it will be considered a qualifying transaction for the purpose of this tiered promotion.

That sounds a bit fishy. If they end up shipping the wine 10 days after I become a member, that effectively makes it 31 days (second month) where you'll be charged a second month membership just to see the bonus miles post. Wondering if this 10k miles is really worth it

sdsearch May 6, 2017 9:14 am

Originally Posted by The smallest state (Post 28273549)
- AA Dining. $25.00 minimum. Choose a $27.00 dollar meal. Add in tip (no miles) $31.00 = 27 miles

It sounds like you've never used AA Dining? :confused: So you may not know:

1. You have to sign up for it. If you haven't signed up for it yet, you can earn a separate 2000 bonus miles for signing up for it and doing the very same $25 minimum dine!

2. You have to eat a participating restaurant on a day it gives miles and use a card that restaurant gives miles for. (Some participating restaurants do not give miles for every type of card they take!)

3. As long as you opt in to get emails, you earn 3 miles per dollar on total (including tax and tips). (Once you get to your 12th dine in a year, that moves up to 5 miles per dollar.)

So not that it matters a whole bunch, but $31 will either get 93 miles or 2093 miles or nothing at all, depending on whether you do it correctly or incorrectly (and depending on whether you've signed up for AAdvantage Dining before or not).

And since tax and tip are included, you can have the initial restaurant bill be less than $25 and still have the total purchase come up to be $25 or more.

kinglobjaw May 8, 2017 10:24 pm

Any idea if for dining buying a gift card at Bucca Di Beppo would work? There are a couple in my area and all are part of the program. Was thinking of just walking in and getting a $25 gift card purchased and hoping they use the same Point-Of-Sale system they use for dining guests which would trigger the transaction.

jim5518 May 8, 2017 10:56 pm

It should. I bought Burger King gift cards to get a bonus last year and that worked.

CalVol May 8, 2017 11:06 pm

Originally Posted by kinglobjaw (Post 28286509)
Any idea if for dining buying a gift card at Bucca Di Beppo would work? There are a couple in my area and all are part of the program. Was thinking of just walking in and getting a $25 gift card purchased and hoping they use the same Point-Of-Sale system they use for dining guests which would trigger the transaction.

I am virtually certain I've gotten the miles when purchasing gift cards. However, it's been quite some time. So, my memory might be foggy and/or the rules might have changed. As I recall, I purchased some gift cards as holiday gifts while eating at a Black Angus.

rc408 May 9, 2017 12:17 pm

1-800-flowers

The T&C states that a specific link will be sent to enter the 1-800-flowers site to make a purchase for this promotion. It states if you do not want to use the specific link you can call them and use code ADDV. I am concerned this will waive the 30 miles per $1 (offer code A54). Anyone have additional info on this? No idea how to tell when the 'special' link is sent either.

1-800-Flowers.com Qualifying Transaction: during the Promotion Period, American Airlines will market offers (a “1-800-Flowers.com Offer”) from 1-800-Flowers.com through American Airlines‘ marketing channels (AA.com, Email, eSummary statement, etc.). The marketing communication will contain a link to a website that will allow an American Airlines AAdvantage® member to redeem the 1-800-Flowers.com Offer. A redemption of the 1-800-Flowers.com Offer will qualify as a Qualifying Transaction (provided that such order is not subsequently cancelled). American Airlines AAdvantage® members can also redeem the 1-800-Flowers.com Offer by calling 1-800-356-9377, using the promo code ADDV, providing the member’s AAdvantage number and consummating the applicable 1-800-Flower Offer. 1-800-Flower Offers are subject to additional restrictions, limitations and blackout periods.

AbyssalLoris May 9, 2017 5:00 pm

I am curious about this as well. Was just about to order some and am confused. There is a link right on the landing page from your promotional email (the one for the bonus offer depending on number of transactions with the 4 partners). If you use this link, does it qualify? I would assume so. When you use this to get to 1-800-flowers, do you then have to enter any code? A54? ADDV? Very unclear.

Originally Posted by rc408 (Post 28289146)
The T&C states that a specific link will be sent to enter the 1-800-flowers site to make a purchase for this promotion. It states if you do not want to use the specific link you can call them and use code ADDV. I am concerned this will waive the 30 miles per $1 (offer code A54). Anyone have additional info on this? No idea how to tell when the 'special' link is sent either.

1-800-Flowers.com Qualifying Transaction: during the Promotion Period, American Airlines will market offers (a “1-800-Flowers.com Offer”) from 1-800-Flowers.com through American Airlines‘ marketing channels (AA.com, Email, eSummary statement, etc.). The marketing communication will contain a link to a website that will allow an American Airlines AAdvantage® member to redeem the 1-800-Flowers.com Offer. A redemption of the 1-800-Flowers.com Offer will qualify as a Qualifying Transaction (provided that such order is not subsequently cancelled). American Airlines AAdvantage® members can also redeem the 1-800-Flowers.com Offer by calling 1-800-356-9377, using the promo code ADDV, providing the member’s AAdvantage number and consummating the applicable 1-800-Flower Offer. 1-800-Flower Offers are subject to additional restrictions, limitations and blackout periods.

ORDnHKG May 11, 2017 8:06 am

Where does it say for flowers it need to be $30 ?

I saw there are orchid and airplant terrarium both for $19.99 each

javabytes May 11, 2017 8:33 am

Originally Posted by The smallest state (Post 28273549)
Its kind of an interesting offer. Lets say you do all four using the cheapest I could find/qualify.

- 800 Flowers. Choose a (for this site) cheapest flowers I could find. $39.99. x 30miles = 1170 miles
- AA Shopping. $50.00 minimum. Choose some Barnes and Noble books $50.00 x miles = 100 miles
- Vinesse Wines. $41.94 for 6 wines. $41.94 =3000 miles

add in 10000 bonus miles.

So for $162.93 one can get 14297 miles. Plus I got a meal, flowers to mom, some books and six bottles of wine.

I think that’s a deal……….

Don't limit yourself to flowers... 1-800-Flowers has other gifts for as low as $12 shipped that I could see.

nk15 May 11, 2017 9:24 am

This is a fairly constructed promo, with double miles for every additional partner, because every partner after the two sucks twice as much as the previous one...:p

rc408 May 11, 2017 10:04 am

Originally Posted by ORDnHKG (Post 28297689)
Where does it say for flowers it need to be $30 ?

I saw there are orchid and airplant terrarium both for $19.99 each

It has no minimum dollar amount for flowers but there is a promotion where you earn 30 miles per $1 spent for flowers. I am trying to determine if that benefit (code A54) is invalid using the Give More, Get More promo (code ADDV).

I am actually buying flowers for my 96 year old Grandma and using this offer to do it so I'm not going to cheap out by spending only $12.99.

platbrownguy May 11, 2017 12:33 pm

Okay I'm biting on this one. Waiting on 1800flowers to see if an email comes by June 1, but I did the wine and the dining.

I just placed an order via eShopping at JCPenney (found a decent deal on an item that I was going to buy anyhow, even with shipping included).

But now I'm concerned that the $8.95 shipping and $3.06 tax won't count towards the $50... AA's terms just say $50 purchase for the bonus miles (which is all I care about), but eShopping has some language about shipping and tax not counting towards the miles-per-dollars amount. Any thoughts? This is what the receipt looks like:

merchandise subtotal:$59.99
total savings: -$18.00
order subtotal: $41.99
shipping & handling: $8.95
gift wrap: $0.00
tax: $3.06
ORDER TOTAL:$54.00

rc408 May 11, 2017 1:07 pm

Originally Posted by platbrownguy (Post 28299064)
But now I'm concerned that the $8.95 shipping and $3.06 tax won't count towards the $50... AA's terms just say $50 purchase for the bonus miles (which is all I care about), but eShopping has some language about shipping and tax not counting towards the miles-per-dollars amount. Any thoughts? This is what the receipt looks like:

Typically shipping and tax don't count towards bonus miles. For instance if JC Penney offers 1 mile per $1 and your item is $5 + $3 shipping and tax you will only get 5 points. As far as this promotion goes, I am not sure how they calculate but would assume shipping and tax would not be included. You know what they say about assumptions though...

CMK10 May 11, 2017 3:38 pm

Good timing for me as I needed a printer for work anyway so I bought it through the portal. Dining around here isn't the best but there are a few good options. I don't think I'll bother with the wine or the flowers though.

Anyone want to bet how long these miles take to post?

AbyssalLoris May 11, 2017 4:45 pm

I get your concern and this was my exact question. Nowhere does it seem to say (either on AA or on 1-8-F) that using a A54 would invalidate the bonus offer, or that ADDV was to be used on anything but a telephone order. These sorts of unclear communications annoy me no end. In any case, I went ahead and ordered flowers (which I was looking to do anyway) using the A54 code. Will report on what happens, although I wonder how long it takes for these bonus miles to post. More fine-print hunting for me, I guess.

Originally Posted by rc408 (Post 28299183)
Typically shipping and tax don't count towards bonus miles. For instance if JC Penney offers 1 mile per $1 and your item is $5 + $3 shipping and tax you will only get 5 points. As far as this promotion goes, I am not sure how they calculate but would assume shipping and tax would not be included. You know what they say about assumptions though...

SST May 12, 2017 11:42 am

I wanted to buy some flowers, but the 1800Flowers website refuses to let the regular mileage get accrued if you use "ShopRunner" delivery, and for the address there are no alternatives. So much for that; too much chance that the transaction won't count.

I'm also skeptical that 1800Flowers provides decent product. I've always used FTD.com instead, and it has been a satisfactory (if not cheap) transaction, where miles posted simply without all this drama.

Looks like I'm stuck with the two partners, since Vinesse wines don't interest me.

It *does* irk me that the original communication on this promo didn't have any "minimums" on dining or shopping, and now it does.

Spock Seat May 12, 2017 12:35 pm

I bought at local outlets and not through AAdvantage:

A Rose for $2.99
Pizza for $6.99
Extra Dry Brut for $9.99
Shopping (clothing): $12.99

Miles 0, but mucho $$ saved because the AAdvantage devaluation is not worth the 10K bonus in this instance. 110K one way to SE Asia, when it was 67.5K at the most? Forget it. Chasing a riptide 'til AA gets their act together....plus there's a thread about Vinesse Wines which tastes horrible.

UKOK May 12, 2017 6:17 pm

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by SST (Post 28303549)
I wanted to buy some flowers, but the 1800Flowers website refuses to let the regular mileage get accrued if you use "ShopRunner" delivery, and for the address there are no alternatives. So much for that; too much chance that the transaction won't count.

Urgh did not know this. So I guess this won't turn confirmed...Annoying that I didn't use the 30 miles link instead.

platbrownguy May 13, 2017 11:18 pm

Originally Posted by Spock Seat (Post 28303833)
110K one way to SE Asia, when it was 67.5K at the most? Forget it. Chasing a riptide 'til AA gets their act together....plus there's a thread about Vinesse Wines which tastes horrible.

With 80k JL/F awards USA-NYC-TYO-ICN, plenty of incentive for me to stay in the game. The 67.5k to 110k hike is unfortunate, but not hard to understand why "spend 5k get free F to HKG" isn't shareholder-friendly.

Anyhow back on topic, I was impressed by the list of eShopping partners. I needed to buy some coffee for the office anyhow, so I bought a few bags of Starbucks online through the eShopping portal for the same as I'd pay in real life, no shipping fees, and the miles show pending just two days later ($51.80 spend).

I figure I'll give away or cook with the 6 wines (note to self set to cancel the membership timely), with the exception of one of the bottles that should be very drinkable.

eDining is done.

Mainly just waiting on the 1800flowers email so that I know it will count for the promo.

AANYC1981 May 13, 2017 11:32 pm

Who seriously cares about these "partners" anymore?

beachfan May 14, 2017 7:32 am

Didn't do the promotion but used1800 flowers, and what was delivered was half the size of the picture evebthough I got the largest size. I complained and got a 50% refund.

CMK10 May 16, 2017 7:33 am

Originally Posted by AANYC1981 (Post 28308846)

Their shopping portal is still worth caring about. I buy ink regularly through 123Inkjets.com and as I like buying from them anyway why not also earn 11 miles per dollar? And that's just one example.

rc408 May 16, 2017 10:05 am

Originally Posted by beachfan (Post 28309688)
Didn't do the promotion but used1800 flowers, and what was delivered was Hal the size of the picture evebthough I got the largest size. I complained and got a 50% refund.

The flowers my Grandmother received were perfect so I'm not sure if it's a local vendor issue or something else. Sorry it was not what it should have been for you.

rc408 May 16, 2017 10:08 am

Originally Posted by UKOK (Post 28305002)
Urgh did not know this. So I guess this won't turn confirmed...Annoying that I didn't use the 30 miles link instead.

It seems you will be better off this way as you will receive 2,500 miles if this is partner 2 or 3 and 5,000 miles if it is partner 4. 30 miles per dollar would only net you 1,050 miles.

I am only doing 3 partners and my flowers were $50 (excluding tax/shipping) so the 1,500 miles is not as good as the additional 2,500 for using the 3rd partner.

sdsearch May 16, 2017 1:43 pm

Originally Posted by AANYC1981 (Post 28308846)

Originally Posted by CMK10 (Post 28318335)
Their shopping portal is still worth caring about. I buy ink regularly through 123Inkjets.com and as I like buying from them anyway why not also earn 11 miles per dollar? And that's just one example.

Same for the dining program if you would eat the same thing at the same restaurant if there were no dining program. What's the harm in at least registering every card you have in a dining program and then getting miles here and there from it ("by chance" if nothing else)?

Obviously, it depends on the selection of participating restaurants in a given area as to whether it's going to work for you or not.

lobo411 May 16, 2017 2:44 pm

Well hopefully this works...I did the 1-800 flowers by clicking through the link on the aa.com promotion page, but I didn't see any special flower-offers. Just looked like the regular 1-800 flowers website.

I also put in the AADV code in the website promo box, and got a "AAdvantage promo has been added" message, so we'll see.

Used the Amex $15 off $50 offer too.