Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Bonus promotion with AA (shopping/dining) partners: 2k/5k/10k [ended Jun 2017]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Bonus promotion with AA (shopping/dining) partners: 2k/5k/10k [ended Jun 2017]

Search this Thread

Old May 6, 2017, 9:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by The smallest state
- AA Dining. $25.00 minimum. Choose a $27.00 dollar meal. Add in tip (no miles) $31.00 = 27 miles
It sounds like you've never used AA Dining? So you may not know:

1. You have to sign up for it. If you haven't signed up for it yet, you can earn a separate 2000 bonus miles for signing up for it and doing the very same $25 minimum dine!

2. You have to eat a participating restaurant on a day it gives miles and use a card that restaurant gives miles for. (Some participating restaurants do not give miles for every type of card they take!)

3. As long as you opt in to get emails, you earn 3 miles per dollar on total (including tax and tips). (Once you get to your 12th dine in a year, that moves up to 5 miles per dollar.)

So not that it matters a whole bunch, but $31 will either get 93 miles or 2093 miles or nothing at all, depending on whether you do it correctly or incorrectly (and depending on whether you've signed up for AAdvantage Dining before or not).

And since tax and tip are included, you can have the initial restaurant bill be less than $25 and still have the total purchase come up to be $25 or more.

Last edited by sdsearch; May 6, 2017 at 9:27 am
Old May 8, 2017, 10:24 pm

Any idea if for dining buying a gift card at Bucca Di Beppo would work? There are a couple in my area and all are part of the program. Was thinking of just walking in and getting a $25 gift card purchased and hoping they use the same Point-Of-Sale system they use for dining guests which would trigger the transaction.
Old May 8, 2017, 10:56 pm

Programs: Hilton gold
It should. I bought Burger King gift cards to get a bonus last year and that worked.
Old May 8, 2017, 11:06 pm

Originally Posted by kinglobjaw
Any idea if for dining buying a gift card at Bucca Di Beppo would work? There are a couple in my area and all are part of the program. Was thinking of just walking in and getting a $25 gift card purchased and hoping they use the same Point-Of-Sale system they use for dining guests which would trigger the transaction.
I am virtually certain I've gotten the miles when purchasing gift cards. However, it's been quite some time. So, my memory might be foggy and/or the rules might have changed. As I recall, I purchased some gift cards as holiday gifts while eating at a Black Angus.
Old May 9, 2017, 12:17 pm

1-800-flowers

The T&C states that a specific link will be sent to enter the 1-800-flowers site to make a purchase for this promotion. It states if you do not want to use the specific link you can call them and use code ADDV. I am concerned this will waive the 30 miles per $1 (offer code A54). Anyone have additional info on this? No idea how to tell when the 'special' link is sent either.

1-800-Flowers.com Qualifying Transaction: during the Promotion Period, American Airlines will market offers (a “1-800-Flowers.com Offer”) from 1-800-Flowers.com through American Airlines‘ marketing channels (AA.com, Email, eSummary statement, etc.). The marketing communication will contain a link to a website that will allow an American Airlines AAdvantage® member to redeem the 1-800-Flowers.com Offer. A redemption of the 1-800-Flowers.com Offer will qualify as a Qualifying Transaction (provided that such order is not subsequently cancelled). American Airlines AAdvantage® members can also redeem the 1-800-Flowers.com Offer by calling 1-800-356-9377, using the promo code ADDV, providing the member’s AAdvantage number and consummating the applicable 1-800-Flower Offer. 1-800-Flower Offers are subject to additional restrictions, limitations and blackout periods.

Last edited by rc408; May 9, 2017 at 12:55 pm
Old May 9, 2017, 5:00 pm

I am curious about this as well. Was just about to order some and am confused. There is a link right on the landing page from your promotional email (the one for the bonus offer depending on number of transactions with the 4 partners). If you use this link, does it qualify? I would assume so. When you use this to get to 1-800-flowers, do you then have to enter any code? A54? ADDV? Very unclear.

Originally Posted by rc408
The T&C states that a specific link will be sent to enter the 1-800-flowers site to make a purchase for this promotion. It states if you do not want to use the specific link you can call them and use code ADDV. I am concerned this will waive the 30 miles per $1 (offer code A54). Anyone have additional info on this? No idea how to tell when the 'special' link is sent either.

1-800-Flowers.com Qualifying Transaction: during the Promotion Period, American Airlines will market offers (a “1-800-Flowers.com Offer”) from 1-800-Flowers.com through American Airlines‘ marketing channels (AA.com, Email, eSummary statement, etc.). The marketing communication will contain a link to a website that will allow an American Airlines AAdvantage® member to redeem the 1-800-Flowers.com Offer. A redemption of the 1-800-Flowers.com Offer will qualify as a Qualifying Transaction (provided that such order is not subsequently cancelled). American Airlines AAdvantage® members can also redeem the 1-800-Flowers.com Offer by calling 1-800-356-9377, using the promo code ADDV, providing the member’s AAdvantage number and consummating the applicable 1-800-Flower Offer. 1-800-Flower Offers are subject to additional restrictions, limitations and blackout periods.
Old May 11, 2017, 8:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*G, AA Emerald, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt globalist
Where does it say for flowers it need to be $30 ?

I saw there are orchid and airplant terrarium both for $19.99 each
Old May 11, 2017, 8:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by The smallest state
Its kind of an interesting offer. Lets say you do all four using the cheapest I could find/qualify.

- 800 Flowers. Choose a (for this site) cheapest flowers I could find. $39.99. x 30miles = 1170 miles
- AA Shopping. $50.00 minimum. Choose some Barnes and Noble books $50.00 x miles = 100 miles
- AA Dining. $25.00 minimum. Choose a $27.00 dollar meal. Add in tip (no miles) $31.00 = 27 miles
- Vinesse Wines. $41.94 for 6 wines. $41.94 =3000 miles

add in 10000 bonus miles.

So for $162.93 one can get 14297 miles. Plus I got a meal, flowers to mom, some books and six bottles of wine.

I think that’s a deal……….
Don't limit yourself to flowers... 1-800-Flowers has other gifts for as low as $12 shipped that I could see.
Old May 11, 2017, 9:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
This is a fairly constructed promo, with double miles for every additional partner, because every partner after the two sucks twice as much as the previous one...
Old May 11, 2017, 10:04 am

Originally Posted by ORDnHKG
Where does it say for flowers it need to be $30 ?

I saw there are orchid and airplant terrarium both for $19.99 each
It has no minimum dollar amount for flowers but there is a promotion where you earn 30 miles per $1 spent for flowers. I am trying to determine if that benefit (code A54) is invalid using the Give More, Get More promo (code ADDV).

I am actually buying flowers for my 96 year old Grandma and using this offer to do it so I'm not going to cheap out by spending only $12.99.
Old May 11, 2017, 12:33 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
Okay I'm biting on this one. Waiting on 1800flowers to see if an email comes by June 1, but I did the wine and the dining.

I just placed an order via eShopping at JCPenney (found a decent deal on an item that I was going to buy anyhow, even with shipping included).

But now I'm concerned that the $8.95 shipping and $3.06 tax won't count towards the $50... AA's terms just say $50 purchase for the bonus miles (which is all I care about), but eShopping has some language about shipping and tax not counting towards the miles-per-dollars amount. Any thoughts? This is what the receipt looks like:

merchandise subtotal:$59.99
total savings: -$18.00
order subtotal: $41.99
shipping & handling: $8.95
gift wrap: $0.00
tax: $3.06
ORDER TOTAL:$54.00
Old May 11, 2017, 1:07 pm

Originally Posted by platbrownguy
But now I'm concerned that the $8.95 shipping and $3.06 tax won't count towards the $50... AA's terms just say $50 purchase for the bonus miles (which is all I care about), but eShopping has some language about shipping and tax not counting towards the miles-per-dollars amount. Any thoughts? This is what the receipt looks like:
Typically shipping and tax don't count towards bonus miles. For instance if JC Penney offers 1 mile per $1 and your item is $5 + $3 shipping and tax you will only get 5 points. As far as this promotion goes, I am not sure how they calculate but would assume shipping and tax would not be included. You know what they say about assumptions though...
Old May 11, 2017, 3:38 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Good timing for me as I needed a printer for work anyway so I bought it through the portal. Dining around here isn't the best but there are a few good options. I don't think I'll bother with the wine or the flowers though.

Anyone want to bet how long these miles take to post?
Old May 11, 2017, 4:45 pm

I get your concern and this was my exact question. Nowhere does it seem to say (either on AA or on 1-8-F) that using a A54 would invalidate the bonus offer, or that ADDV was to be used on anything but a telephone order. These sorts of unclear communications annoy me no end. In any case, I went ahead and ordered flowers (which I was looking to do anyway) using the A54 code. Will report on what happens, although I wonder how long it takes for these bonus miles to post. More fine-print hunting for me, I guess.

Originally Posted by rc408
Typically shipping and tax don't count towards bonus miles. For instance if JC Penney offers 1 mile per $1 and your item is $5 + $3 shipping and tax you will only get 5 points. As far as this promotion goes, I am not sure how they calculate but would assume shipping and tax would not be included. You know what they say about assumptions though...
Old May 12, 2017, 11:42 am
SST

I wanted to buy some flowers, but the 1800Flowers website refuses to let the regular mileage get accrued if you use "ShopRunner" delivery, and for the address there are no alternatives. So much for that; too much chance that the transaction won't count.

I'm also skeptical that 1800Flowers provides decent product. I've always used FTD.com instead, and it has been a satisfactory (if not cheap) transaction, where miles posted simply without all this drama.

Looks like I'm stuck with the two partners, since Vinesse wines don't interest me.

It *does* irk me that the original communication on this promo didn't have any "minimums" on dining or shopping, and now it does.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.