Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

C inventory but AA claims no availability for upgrade

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

C inventory but AA claims no availability for upgrade

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26, 2017, 3:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
Does EF still show inventory for complimentary domestic upgrades? I understand that C is only for miles/SWU, but I thought there used to be a way to search for complimentary domestic upgrades?
That's X/R inventory (now just R I think, with the premium cabin fare class realignment); these were removed from ExpertFlyer (and I guess all GDSs?) several years ago, unfortunately.
Old Jul 26, 2017, 3:56 pm

Programs: AA EXP & AAirpass, Hyatt Courtesy Card, SPG Platinum
Correct, there used to be a way to view X/R inventory. Not anymore. Even AA agents can't see it.

Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
Does EF still show inventory for complimentary domestic upgrades? I understand that C is only for miles/SWU, but I thought there used to be a way to search for complimentary domestic upgrades?
Old Apr 13, 2018, 1:36 am

Programs: AA PPro, 1MM
I wanted to add a data point here. I'm on LHR-ORD tomorrow and was still waitlisted despite C inventory showing up. I called the EXP desk and got the "there are seats open but you're still waitlisted, unfortunately." Then I tried the tact of "I had noticed when looking for other flights to change to that this one says systemwide upgrade available on it, so I was confused about the waitlist." Next thing I know, I'm on hold and a minute later, I'm sitting in 6L.
Old Apr 13, 2018, 8:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If that didn't work, I wonder what happens when you say -- well take me off the waitlist. And then 30 seconds later you say - I see there are upgrades on this flight, please confirm one for me.
Old Apr 13, 2018, 8:38 am

Originally Posted by ijgordon
If that didn't work, I wonder what happens when you say -- well take me off the waitlist. And then 30 seconds later you say - I see there are upgrades on this flight, please confirm one for me.
That would have been my next move. I do wonder if I end up "jumping ahead" of others in the list when they manually clear me.
Old Apr 13, 2018, 8:57 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Assuming no one clears the waitlist while you take yourself off, is there any downside to that practice? Given the ordering of the waitlist, it seems like you won’t really change position on the list once you are back on, as it’s based on status and EQD
Old Apr 13, 2018, 10:24 am

Programs: AA: EXP MR: Ti
Originally Posted by phazedowt
That would have been my next move. I do wonder if I end up "jumping ahead" of others in the list when they manually clear me.
Let us know how long the upgrade list is at the airport. That will be a dead giveaway.
Old Apr 13, 2018, 10:38 am

Programs: CoUniHound 1K 1MM, AA EXP 2MM, DL Plat, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
I no longer see any downsides to taking yourself off the upgrade list and then asking for an upgrade, when C inventory is available. Under the new waitlisting priority system, time of request isn't particularly important so if you aren't immediately confirmed you will go back on the list at the same spot where you were before.
Old Apr 13, 2018, 11:19 am

Programs: MAR AMB, WOH Explorist, AA EXP, UA 2P
Originally Posted by beachfan
Assuming no one clears the waitlist while you take yourself off, is there any downside to that practice? Given the ordering of the waitlist, it seems like you won’t really change position on the list once you are back on, as it’s based on status and EQD
​​​​​​I wonder if adding or removing someone from the WL triggers some kind of check for inventory - in that case, removing yourself would be a negative.

​​​​
Old Apr 13, 2018, 11:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by beachfan
Right, I would think the only risk would be that the waitlist processes in that brief moment of time between being removed from the waitlist and then clearing directly into C. It would seem to have to be a very unfortunate case of coincidental timing, unless, as iadisgreat speculates, removing a pax from the waitlist somehow triggers the waitlist clearing mechanism. I have a hard time seeing why they would program the system like that, however, and I would suspect it's more of a time-based sweep. Just like the ExpertFlyer alerts are. And we know anecdotally that sometimes the EF sweep runs "first" and notifies you of space, and sometimes the waitlist clearing sweep runs first and you clear before ever being notified of the inventory. But hard to get more granular than that on timing.

AA should really be better syncing the release of inventory and the waitlist clearing, but as long as they don't, FTers will be here to try and exploit those timing differences. I suppose that's why they've made it "difficult" to call in and manually clear yourself, but I don't see how they can outright prevent it unless they just flat-out prohibit clearing any booking directly into C without it first running through a waitlist, even if nobody else is on it at the time. Kind of a waiting period before buying a firearm. Lol. But that would be highly annoying.
Old Apr 14, 2018, 3:52 am

Originally Posted by asf-07
Let us know how long the upgrade list is at the airport. That will be a dead giveaway.
Well, the list at the airport is empty (and the cabin is booked full), so this looks like a case where I would have been cleared regardless.
Old Apr 15, 2018, 6:42 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott BonVoy Titanium Elite, Marriott LT Plat.
I'm curious why I am only being upgraded on the Intl legs of a trip I have next week were there's C inventory for the domestic legs too. The agent says she's only able to clear the intl legs and let the system upgrade me as the flight gets nearer. Then she placed me on hold but came back on the line with the same info. I accepted it as the domestic lights are just over an hour and the F cabin is 80% empty.

Interesting....
Old Apr 16, 2018, 5:41 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
Originally Posted by Zacnlinc
I'm curious why I am only being upgraded on the Intl legs of a trip I have next week were there's C inventory for the domestic legs too. The agent says she's only able to clear the intl legs and let the system upgrade me as the flight gets nearer. Then she placed me on hold but came back on the line with the same info. I accepted it as the domestic lights are just over an hour and the F cabin is 80% empty.

Interesting....
if there’s still C inventory on the domestic legs, HUCA. Wait until the ticket reissues for the international upgrade, and then call back noting that the domestic legs now have C inventory available.

-FlyerBeek
Old Apr 16, 2018, 2:18 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott BonVoy Titanium Elite, Marriott LT Plat.
Originally Posted by FlyerBeek

if there’s still C inventory on the domestic legs, HUCA. Wait until the ticket reissues for the international upgrade, and then call back noting that the domestic legs now have C inventory available.

-FlyerBeek
Just for kicks, I checked EF just now for C availability and to my surprise there was still C1 listed like it was three days ago. I've called the EXP desk and was on hold for a about 7 mins. before the agent came back online to confirmed that I was now seated in F. I then told her about my experience three days ago and she couldn't explain why the other agent didn't move me to F if there was inventory. Cool! Now I have that aisle seat I wanted anyway... Too many other elites in the first few aisle MCE seats!!!

Last edited by Zacnlinc; Apr 16, 2018 at 3:47 pm
Old Apr 16, 2018, 5:41 pm

Programs: MAR AMB, WOH Explorist, AA EXP, UA 2P
Originally Posted by ijgordon
AA should really be better syncing the release of inventory and the waitlist clearing, but as long as they don't, FTers will be here to try and exploit those timing differences. I suppose that's why they've made it "difficult" to call in and manually clear yourself, but I don't see how they can outright prevent it unless they just flat-out prohibit clearing any booking directly into C without it first running through a waitlist, even if nobody else is on it at the time. Kind of a waiting period before buying a firearm. Lol. But that would be highly annoying.
This is actually what I was going to write in my other post, but didn't feel like typing it. AA could easily just make everyone get added to the list and always let the computer clear it. I find the queue jumping thing unsavory (though I only book flights where the upgrade is available and have no clue if I've accidentally benefited from it), so wouldn't mind this change. Plus, a lot less whining that way.
Zacnlinc likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.