Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Australian man "crushed" in economy seat 14 hours sues AA for injuries

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Australian man "crushed" in economy seat 14 hours sues AA for injuries

Search this Thread

Old May 6, 2017, 3:10 am

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (SE), Virgin America Elevate, Hyatt Gold Passport (Platinum), VIA Preference
Originally Posted by ecaarch
There already ARE bigger seats. They are located at the front of the plane. That's not making any sort of judgement about a POS or any other passenger. The reality is that what airlines are selling is real estate - you want (or need) more, you pay more.
This is wonderful in theory, but you have plenty of cases of accounting departments (or indeed, government agency rules) which effectively bar those traveling on the relevant dime from doing so. In some cases this is penny wise and pound foolish (it's not unheard of for a single seat in F to be less expensive than two seats in Y). To be fair, there's also some ADA-related wiggle room on most policies (e.g. someone well over 6' who is also "all legs" might be able to get a waiver to get an extra legroom seat) but it's also not unheard-of for those rules to be "hard-and-fast-unless-you-want-to-sue".
Old May 6, 2017, 4:13 am
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
I've flown on a few BA inter Europe/GB flts. The FC seats have the same width as Y, but instead of 3 abreast, the middle seat is blocked. So if you spill over your seat you don't intrude into the adjacent pax's space...but if you are BIG you are still uncomfortably seated.
Old May 6, 2017, 4:17 am

Programs: LH SEN, HH Gold
Originally Posted by Grog
If others' opinions on the broad subject (as I see it: Australian man "crushed" in economy seat 14 hours, lawsuit filed, implications for others down the road?) aren't welcome, I'd simply call for a thread lock and see how that goes rather than judge others for potentially judging others.
Originally Posted by josmul123
Wrong.

I have no problem with the subject matter of the thread or the discussion of what happened/should have happened (Calling for a thread lock and "seeing what happens" would be the wrong approach), but the implication of treating people like carry-on luggage and requiring them to "comfortably fit within the sizer" or "excuse me, sir, can you go behind the fat curtain for a second?" struck me as asinine, offensive, and dehumanizing. While singling out and parading people of size in front of a crowd of people waiting to board an airplane because of their size might sound acceptable to people who do dehumanize large people, I wouldn't fly on an airline that implemented this practice.

AA should enforce their existing policy regarding people of size properly. If this indeed happened the way the man described, it's a customer service failure on AA's part. They have a policy which would have allowed them to handle this tactfully, and they dropped the ball.
Is this your way of now telling me my opinions are wrong? Your opinion is noted. ^

Last edited by Grog; May 6, 2017 at 4:24 am
Old May 6, 2017, 6:41 am

Programs: QR Silver
Apart from the expense, my biggest issue when booking 2 seats is the need to call the airline. Many times airline offices are closed outside office hours, secured credit card systems are only available for online transactions, there's a surcharge for reservations via telephone,...

My preferred solution would be a 50% surcharge for having a guaranteed free seat next to you (50% because the seat can be shared between 2 passengers - people over that size would have trouble even getting into the cabin). Legroom should also be sufficient to accommodate taller passengers. An extra luggage allowance (for our extra sized attire) would also be welcome. No need to supersize the meals ;-).

My opinion on why most airlines don't offer practical solutions for supersized passengers is that this might eat into their first and business class profits. Also, obesity is less prevalent outside the US.

The issue of supersized passengers won't ever get universally resolved without government intervention. It doesn't matter which country - if airlines have to offer a reasonable solution for one country where they wish to sell tickets, they might as well offer it everywhere.
Old May 6, 2017, 6:53 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by rickg523
Actually there's a solution. Some bigger seats to accommodate bigger people. All it means is a revenue reduction for a few multinational corporations. I know it's apostasy and possible cause for excommunication to suggest a sacrifice by corporations and their officers (who could likely replace the revenue shortfall out of their compensation and still be solid 1%-ers). But I like living dangerously
If the bigger seats are free, I want one. Maybe I can add padding inside my clothing before boarding in order to make it look like I really need that extra space. OTOH, if there's an upcharge for the bigger seats, it will be the same problem: people who need them and should be required to purchase them will refuse to do so and GAs/FAs will be reluctant to embarrass them by insisting.
Old May 6, 2017, 7:12 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by artemis
If you're not flying on a regional jet. There have been a few times when I have booked a First Class ticket with AA only to find myself on a regional jet that had no actual First Class section; AA had merely designated the first row as "first class" on that flight and didn't actually provide a wider seat (which was of course what I had booked First Class to obtain!).

The problem isn't as easily solved as many of the "just buy two seats or a first class ticket" crowd seem to think it is. Only Southwest actually makes it easy to actually book two seats.
Maybe part of the solution would be to make it easy for anyone to purchase an EXTRASEAT on airline websites and also when using OLTAs. The airline could even have a box stating seat dimensions when one starts to search for flights as well as a brief statement of policy (and those who need the extra but don't purchase it in advance IMO should be forced to pay the full fare for a walk up ticket on the day of departure, typically a FULL Y fare). Currently even someone wanting to pay for the extra space in coach must know that's it possible and then must call the airline, talk to an agent or supervisor who knows how to do ticket the extra seat correctly, and then watch seat assignments to make sure that the seats stay together. Most passengers wouldn't know that the extra seat purchase is possible of how to do it.
Old May 6, 2017, 7:43 am

Programs: QF SG(LTS) - AA LTG(1MM)
The only ones who should really know how (and when) to purchase an "extra seat" are the ones who can not fit into the existing standard seat. Maybe the seat belt extenders should be available only on the payment of $25........... and a note in the PNR.

Happy wandering

Fred
Old May 6, 2017, 8:11 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS, WN A-List, AA Exec Plat, National Emerald
Originally Posted by wandering_fred
The only ones who should really know how (and when) to purchase an "extra seat" are the ones who can not fit into the existing standard seat. Maybe the seat belt extenders should be available only on the payment of $25........... and a note in the PNR.

Happy wandering

Fred
I think charging for seat belt extenders (and somehow prevent people from using their own) is a good solution. If each extender was, say, $100, then they could have a row of wide seats (one less seat in the row) and recoup the lost cost of pulling two seats out of the plane.
Old May 6, 2017, 12:34 pm

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT; AS MVP Gold75k; HHonors Diamond; IHG PLT
The lawsuit will hopefully force AA (and the US airline industry in general) to train gate and cabin staff on tactful but effective methods in dealing with this issue - ideally before boarding, but definitely before takeoff. Also expect legal to add tactful POS language, with an accept button to the reservation process.
Once social media has a few examples of POS passengers being removed from an otherwise full flight, they will get the message, plan accordingly.
Old May 6, 2017, 2:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by reamworks
I think charging for seat belt extenders (and somehow prevent people from using their own) is a good solution. If each extender was, say, $100, then they could have a row of wide seats (one less seat in the row) and recoup the lost cost of pulling two seats out of the plane.
Reasonable idea. Very few POS actually need two main cabin seats; for many of them, 1.5 seats would be perfect. Wouldn't be a bad idea for airlines to reserve a couple of rows on each flight for POS to pay 1.5 times their fare. For that, the armrests go up, and two POS can share a block of three seats, probably comfortably. If there aren't enough POS on the flight to use up the reserved seats, ordinary passengers could then be assigned those seats.
Old May 6, 2017, 3:32 pm

Programs: gate lice
Originally Posted by FWAAA
Reasonable idea. Very few POS actually need two main cabin seats; for many of them, 1.5 seats would be perfect. Wouldn't be a bad idea for airlines to reserve a couple of rows on each flight for POS to pay 1.5 times their fare. For that, the armrests go up, and two POS can share a block of three seats, probably comfortably. If there aren't enough POS on the flight to use up the reserved seats, ordinary passengers could then be assigned those seats.
That'd be a pretty costly and inefficient solution. You're essentially forcing airlines to block out a few seats because of the possibility that one of the passengers might be oversized.

Airlines should allow passengers, during purchase, the option to purchase a second adjacent seat to the same passenger, whether it's for POS, someone who wants that extra space, or a musician that needs to put an expensive instrument. No discounts, nothing. Pay double.

Under the current system, POS should just pony up for J/F. If you need more space, you should pay for it. I'm sure there are lots of people who are well over 6' who have to spend more every time they fly because Y simply isn't an option. Why should we have to accommodate them? Fly F. Or go private.
Old May 6, 2017, 4:35 pm
Suspended

Programs: Enrich Sapphire. Kris Flyer Silver.Le Club Accorhotels,Starwood.
This lawsuit could be a game changer in how the courts rule what is acceptable and what is not acceptable as far as comfort, care and what is fair for paying customers.
Old May 6, 2017, 4:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Chase Ultimate Rewards 2MM, Diner Club points
Originally Posted by leungy18
I'm sure there are lots of people who are well over 6' who have to spend more every time they fly because Y simply isn't an option. Why should we have to accommodate them? Fly F. Or go private.
You didn't and can't do anything about being tall. Please don't conflate being tall and being of large size.
Old May 6, 2017, 4:57 pm

Originally Posted by wolf72
This lawsuit could be a game changer in how the courts rule what is acceptable and what is not acceptable as far as comfort, care and what is fair for paying customers.
That's defiantly magical thinking or should is say, "pie in the sky." (Cough...cough) But I'll bet you it goes nowhere.

Originally Posted by rufflesinc
You didn't and can't do anything about being tall. Please don't conflate being tall and being of large size.
+1
As a traveler of height, I find the comparison offensive.

Last edited by DataPlumber; May 6, 2017 at 5:03 pm
Old May 6, 2017, 5:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by leungy18
That'd be a pretty costly and inefficient solution. You're essentially forcing airlines to block out a few seats because of the possibility that one of the passengers might be oversized.
No, it need not be costly or inefficient. Allow POS to buy the 1.5 seats when they make their bookings and allow them to self-assign the seats. Block the seats from early seat assignments unless someone has paid the 1.5 fare. If no POS check in for the flight (or not very many), then the gate agent assigns the remaining seats (all three of them in each block) to ordinary passengers who were too cheap to pay for better main cabin seats. That allows late-identifying POS to pay the additional 50% fare at the gate, if necessary, and gain access to the 1.5 size seats.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.