Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Mixed cabin ticket - option for overweight passenger?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Mixed cabin ticket - option for overweight passenger?

Search this Thread

Old May 4, 2017, 10:23 am
Original Poster

Unhappy Mixed cabin ticket - option for overweight passenger?

I'm overweight to the point where I'm on the borderline of needing to buy a second seat when flying economy. Lately, I've been dealing with this by just buying a first class ticket - the flights I'm usually on are relatively short and the difference between economy and first class isn't that much.

This weekend, I'm flying from one small airport to another with Charlotte as a connection. The first flight is on a CRJ 900 so there's a first class cabin so I'm all set there. The second, however, is on a Dash 8 with no first class. The reverse is true for my return trip.

The more I think about this trip, the more anxious I get. I know I'm going to be fine on the flights I'm in first for, but I'm wondering if I should try to see if there's anyway I can buy a second seat for just the flights between CLT and my destination (neither appears to be full). Does anyone have any experience with this kind of thing?

I just don't want to get to Charlotte and then have American pull me off the flight.
Old May 4, 2017, 10:36 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
I'll presume that this is AA because it's a CLT connection. Why not start by calling AA and posing the question. Perhaps if the flight isn't full, they'll block the second seat as a courtesy given that you are in a paid F seat on the other segment.

That at least is a starting point. Simplest is best.
Old May 4, 2017, 8:28 pm

Programs: DL, UA, AA, BA, AS, SPG, MR, IHG, PC
Originally Posted by Often1
Why not start by calling AA and posing the question.

That at least is a starting point. Simplest is best.
I agree. Hopefully AA will appreciate your thoughtfulness and consideration of other pax.
Old May 4, 2017, 9:07 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Welcome to Flyertalk, shhhh
I am moving your thread to the AA Forum. Please follow there.
Thanks..
Obscure2k
TravelBuzz Moderator
Old May 4, 2017, 9:41 pm

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
I haven't seen this question asked or answered on FT but someone may know. The best bet would be to talk to AA and be prepared to buy a second seat on the relevant segments. It couldn't be on the same PNR but the passenger name they use flags it as a second seat and they could annotate the record. You would still want to keep an eye on it to make sure they don't try to split you up
Old May 4, 2017, 10:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Have you considered 2 economy seats for both segments?
As someone suggested, if you want to add a seat for one segment that is something you should call AA and ask about, because you aren't going to be able to do that in an online booking any way.
Old May 5, 2017, 4:42 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Welcome to FlyerTalk.

You may wish to read the thread http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...-xtraseat.html (link).
Old May 5, 2017, 7:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Definitely call AA on this one. It may be cheaper to purchase two economy seats on the entire journey instead of one first class and one coach "XTRASEAT" on the second leg, but ultimately it will be your choice. And it won't be a problem.
Old May 5, 2017, 8:01 pm

Hi, I registered to answer your question. I work for AA in their flight operations and can answer your question. First thing's first, you will get charged $200.00 guaranteed for making any itinerary change. It will not be waived in this instance

If you desperately need cabin higher than Economy on our regional carrier Piedmont for your first and final itinerary legs, let me warn you that is is simply not possible.

Do not purchase the main cabin extra seat expecting a better fit, these seats vary somewhat but generally only give a little extra legroom.

Because these short flights are operated with smaller aircraft, it is not feasible to try to market multiple cabins. The passengers simply don't perceive a great enough difference in value, and these flights are the least profitable of all anyways.

So that is why you only have Economy on the turboprops and other tiny aircraft.

<unnecessarily personal comment deleted by moderator>

Last edited by JY1024; May 5, 2017 at 10:02 pm Reason: Unnecessarily personal comment deleted by moderator
Old May 5, 2017, 8:55 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by gatorfan123
Hi, I registered to answer your question. I work for AA in their flight operations and can answer your question. First thing's first, you will get charged $200.00 guaranteed for making any itinerary change. It will not be waived in this instance
As far as I know this is incorrect. For many years AA has allowed passengers to pay the difference between economy and first without charging a change fee.
Old May 6, 2017, 12:46 am

Programs: UA plat, , aa plat, marriott LT titanium
I really hope you don't work for AA since apparently you didn't get that the OP is thinking of buying a SECOND seat on the fights that don't have first and has already purchased first on the flights that have it (therefore no "change fee"), I really doubt AA would charge a "penalty" to buy an additional seat!

Originally Posted by gatorfan123

If you desperately need cabin higher than Economy on our regional carrier Piedmont for your first and final itinerary legs, let me warn you that is is simply not possible.

Do not purchase the main cabin extra seat expecting a better fit, these seats vary somewhat but generally only give a little extra legroom.

Because these short flights are operated with smaller aircraft, it is not feasible to try to market multiple cabins. The passengers simply don't perceive a great enough difference in value, and these flights are the least profitable of all anyways.

So that is why you only have Economy on the turboprops and other tiny aircraft.

<unnecessarily personal comment deleted by moderator>

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.