Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Bose NR headphones AA business class? (Obsolete thread)

Bose NR headphones AA business class? (Obsolete thread)

Old May 3, 2017, 10:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by profpeabody
I have my own headset I travel with so I don't use theirs. On a recent flight, they came around and collected the headsets at the end of the flight but evidently did not see the unopened set at my seat. They then announced as the doors opened that someone had failed to return their Bose and they needed them all before we deplaned - the implication being someone was trying to steal a set. The box was sitting out in the open, I had not even used them and they just failed to pick it up. It was embarrassing and very unpleasant.
IIRC the legal implications of this are discussed in another FT thread somewhere.

Amazing that other airlines can do it, no? On CX F, headphones are at your seat before you board, and you just leave them there at the end of the flight.
Old May 3, 2017, 12:06 pm

I flew AA in J on the 77W in January LAX-HKG and return. I wasn't paying that much attention to the headphones at the time but in retrospect, have a few questions.

Are they really noise cancelling? I didn't feel the same obvious reduction in background noise and the pressure effect I experience with my own Bose NC ones.

If you you use your own, what type of adapter do you need? The female jack in the seat compartment has three holes in a triangle formation. I've never seen that on a regular pair of headphones.
Old May 3, 2017, 12:09 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by DrewD
If you you use your own, what type of adapter do you need? The female jack in the seat compartment has three holes in a triangle formation. I've never seen that on a regular pair of headphones.
It just appears to have three holes in a triangle formation. There is only one hole. The other two "holes" are actually screw heads.
Old May 3, 2017, 12:11 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Formerly Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by controller1
It just appears to have three holes in a triangle formation. There is only one hole. The other two "holes" are actually screw heads.
The bose adaptor for my QC35's work - it's just two prongs for the top two in the triangle.
Old May 3, 2017, 12:13 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by BThumme
The bose adaptor for my QC35's work - it's just two prongs for the top two in the triangle.
Then I've confused the "triangle" in the armrest of older AA planes that appear to have three holes.
Old May 3, 2017, 12:22 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by controller1
Then I've confused the "triangle" in the armrest of older AA planes that appear to have three holes.
Isn't the third hole providing power? Either way, use the airline adapter that comes with your QCs, which only uses two of the holes.
Old May 3, 2017, 12:28 pm

Programs: AA
If they collect them an hour before landing, then can you still watch the IFE? Is there a cheaper set they give you for that? Or bring your own earbuds for that last hour?
Old May 3, 2017, 1:50 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AA LT Gold, SPG Plat 75
Originally Posted by BrooklynDave
If they collect them an hour before landing, then can you still watch the IFE? Is there a cheaper set they give you for that? Or bring your own earbuds for that last hour?
They give you some cheapy, crappy earbuds.
Old May 3, 2017, 1:52 pm

Originally Posted by BrooklynDave
Yes, you can still watch the IFE, and you will be provided with earbuds.
Old May 3, 2017, 2:02 pm

Location: Cupertino, CA - AA:PLT 2MM; Marriott:Plt; Hilton:Slv
I got tired of carrying mine as well and ended up buying the Bose NC earbuds. In hindsight, I wish I had simply considered a non active NC, noise suppressing in ear monitor. There are a ton out there (the link below is only an example) that are super cheap and have super high ratings, especially with different ear pieces (e.g. - Comply). I might still buy one because what I hate about the Bose earbuds is that darn "battery box" hanging about chest height when you are wearing them.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00SLVB71Q...FO2PO6O4&psc=1
Old May 3, 2017, 2:13 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AA Million Miles, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Phasers
They give you some cheapy, crappy earbuds.
Originally Posted by skylady
Yes, you can still watch the IFE, and you will be provided with earbuds.
In my experience the provision/availability of earbuds has been rather hit and miss.
Old May 3, 2017, 11:19 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Hilton, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott
Originally Posted by profpeabody
I have my own headset I travel with so I don't use theirs. On a recent flight, they came around and collected the headsets at the end of the flight but evidently did not see the unopened set at my seat. They then announced as the doors opened that someone had failed to return their Bose and they needed them all before we deplaned - the implication being someone was trying to steal a set. The box was sitting out in the open, I had not even used them and they just failed to pick it up. It was embarrassing and very unpleasant.
AA could have the Bose headsets permanently attached to the jack (like the IFE remote control). Prevents theft and passengers can use the headsets the entire flight.
Old May 4, 2017, 2:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by Head
Yep. Always picked up way to early. I take my own "monoprice" Noise Cancelling Head Phones for that reason. Be aware that you will need an adapter to use your own (at least on the 777) for the A/V system. Well... mine requires it but the Bose that most folks have may not.
Bose comes with an adapter for the dual plug outlet. Is that what you are referring to?
Old May 4, 2017, 4:13 am

Programs: US CP, UA *G; SPG Plat, Hilton Gold; Natl Exec, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by mvoight
Bose comes with an adapter for the dual plug outlet. Is that what you are referring to?
Yes you just need a dual plug adapter if you want stereo sound instead of mono. I've also once had an FA give me one of these adapters with the temporary junk earbuds so it's possible they have them onboard. They don't give them the vast majority of the time.
Old May 4, 2017, 5:00 am

Programs: Marriott - Lifetime Platinum Premier, AA - CK
Originally Posted by mvoight
Yes. I bought a pair of Sonic Solace from MonoPrice. They have a headphone input and just came with a male/male headphone jumper. In order to get stereo soun on the flight I have to have the 2-1 adapter. I've never had Bose so wasn't sure if they came with it or not.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.