Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Better to connect in PHX rather than LAX?

Better to connect in PHX rather than LAX?

Old Jul 21, 2018, 11:12 am

Programs: AA Gold, OneWorld Ruby
Originally Posted by cova
I prefer LAX to PHX since PHX has mostly pmUS aircraft and LAX has mostly pmAA aircraft. The pmAA are nicer aircraft with more leg room, including in F.

Only plus for pmUS aircraft is that the seats are generally more padded.
Agreed. LAX also offers better shopping and food.
Old Jul 21, 2018, 11:22 am

Programs: LT Plt, 4mm, *A GLD, burned out medical provider, executing our estate plan
PHX for domestic
LAX for TPAC

Old Jul 25, 2018, 11:40 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by boerne
PHX for domestic
LAX for TPAC
LAX when both are true.

That said, I've never been on any U.S. domestic airline that had a remarkable Hawaii F service. If PHX had any advantage in terms of timing or duration, I'd probably go that route. All of my Hawaii trips over the years have been on narrowbodies (because I avoid the HNL connection) and there just isn't much that any airline does with this service. I usually read a Kindle during the flight, so I might not even notice the lack of a power port or screen.

The three-cabin F service that some airlines have offered to HNL off and on over the years have always seemed way overpriced as awards. Never priced them as cash fares but even if I had that kind of coin I think I'd rather spend it on J on a farther destination than Hawaii on a good carrier.
Old Jul 25, 2018, 11:59 am

Programs: AA Plat, National EE, Marriott Plat, HH Gold, SPG Plat
Monsoon season can cause delays during the summer in PHX... many people think PHX is always dry but that isn't the case. Can cause delays and re-routes.
Old Jul 25, 2018, 12:06 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, HH Diamond, National Executive
Originally Posted by kar don
Monsoon season can cause delays during the summer in PHX... many people think PHX is always dry but that isn't the case. Can cause delays and re-routes.
This is certainly something worth bringing up for consideration when making plans with a few of my personal thoughts in mind:

- I'd really only be considered during mid-July to end of August. It can extend before or after those dates.
- It really only affects night flights after 5:00
- Most of the monsoons won't last longer than an hour

Now, obviously there are exceptions to these points but I'm pretty confident in those claims. I will say that I take an international trip out of LAX every August and always book 4-5 hours layover just to be on the safe side.
Old Jul 25, 2018, 2:29 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Flying into PHX next week on a flight landing at 8:30PM. I assume (hope) I'll be after any weather issues have occurred... I'm terminating there, so as long as it gets there sometime that night I'm okay...
Old Jul 25, 2018, 3:01 pm

Programs: AA Plat, National EE, Marriott Plat, HH Gold, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by WiscAZ
This is certainly something worth bringing up for consideration when making plans with a few of my personal thoughts in mind:

- I'd really only be considered during mid-July to end of August. It can extend before or after those dates.
- It really only affects night flights after 5:00
- Most of the monsoons won't last longer than an hour

Now, obviously there are exceptions to these points but I'm pretty confident in those claims. I will say that I take an international trip out of LAX every August and always book 4-5 hours layover just to be on the safe side.
Yes good rules of thumb my AZ neighbor haha. I have had a very late evening monsoon send me from LAX to LAS (refuel) back to PHX.... total time of travel: 5 hours. Now I always try to takeoff/land before 3pm.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.