Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Blast from the Past: Fare Difference Snail Mail

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 1, 2017, 7:23 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, WN A+, Marriott LT

Wow, was I surprised this weekend when I opened my mailbox and found an envelope from AA.

Inside was the fare difference from a $17 change I made to a ticket a week or so ago. Is a physical document like that really necessary in 2017? Is this normal? Such a waste...
Old May 1, 2017, 7:33 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT 3MM, Hilton/Marriott/SPG/Club Carlson GLD, IHG PLT
Don't complaint and consider yourself lucky. There are far more threads regarding how long it takes for refunds to post than how silly and outdated to get a check in the mail.
Old May 1, 2017, 7:50 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by arollins
Don't complaint and consider yourself lucky. There are far more threads regarding how long it takes for refunds to post than how silly and outdated to get a check in the mail.
It wasn't a check. It's funds tied to my name. And I can't redeem it online (says so on document).
Old May 2, 2017, 8:10 am

Programs: AA EXP - Marriott LT Platinum - National Exec Elite
It's called a Voucher. =)
Old May 2, 2017, 9:01 am

Programs: AA PLT; UA PLT
It's even more amazing when you go to redeem it. You have to call in, make a booking, and then mail the voucher back to AA. And then you have to check your flight periodically for the next few weeks to make sure that they actually receive the voucher in the mail and issue your ticket! It's only held, not issued, until they receive and process the paper voucher.
Old May 2, 2017, 10:24 am

Originally Posted by dcaiadflyer
It's even more amazing when you go to redeem it. You have to call in, make a booking, and then mail the voucher back to AA. And then you have to check your flight periodically for the next few weeks to make sure that they actually receive the voucher in the mail and issue your ticket! It's only held, not issued, until they receive and process the paper voucher.
Or you can go the airport, and redeem the voucher directly, get instant ticketing, and I believe that you save some of the fees as well. Granted, this might be a pain if you don't live close to the airport, or are in a small station, but it certainly beats sending it by mail and wait.
Old May 2, 2017, 10:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Or you can go the airport, and redeem the voucher directly, get instant ticketing, and I believe that you save some of the fees as well. Granted, this might be a pain if you don't live close to the airport, or are in a small station, but it certainly beats sending it by mail and wait.
Useless and worthless.

OP: Here's how to redeem it in reality: Take it to the restroom on your next trip and "redeem" accordingly.
Old May 2, 2017, 1:36 pm

It's even more amazing when you go to redeem it.
The internet is just a fad, like telephones and horseless carriages!
Old May 2, 2017, 8:24 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by enviroian
Useless and worthless.

OP: Here's how to redeem it in reality: Take it to the restroom on your next trip and "redeem" accordingly.

Already in File 13. There's no way I'm even wasting my time to try and recoup those $17.
Old May 2, 2017, 8:53 pm

Programs: DL DM
I tried to use one of these a couple of months ago, and actually asked the EXP agent if she was joking when she went through the procedure. She admitted it was insanity, but the only way to do it.
Old May 3, 2017, 12:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA/DL/UA
I had to do that one time, but the amount was more than that, about $150.

It wasn't that long ago that every single airline ticket was paper. What is so awful about getting a paper voucher?
Old May 3, 2017, 12:27 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by enviroian
Useless and worthless.
Incorrect. The voucher is worth $17 toward future travel on AA.
Old May 3, 2017, 7:06 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Kevin AA
What is so awful about getting a paper voucher?
I don't know....maybe the fact that every other major airline in the country issues fare difference vouchers electronically? "Because that's how we've always done it" is a terrible way to run a business. Not to mention, physical vouchers are extraordinarily anti-customer, since the spoilage rate is much higher. Paper vouchers are a PITA and AA knows that, yet AA still hasn't decided to update its systems to the modern world.
Old May 3, 2017, 8:03 am

Unfortunately, that is the way that AA deals with refunds, via voucher. Other carriers can do refund via original form of payment, instead AA gives you a voucher/credit for future travel on AA. I agree that it is a bit of a pain, but that's how AA does it. There are other choices out there, just remember that. I also agree that AA does stand to win some when people forget to redeem vouchers, or let them expire.
Old May 3, 2017, 1:44 pm

Programs: AAdvantage EXP, IHG Spire, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, National Executive Elite
Unfortunately, that is the way that AA deals with refunds, via voucher. Other carriers can do refund via original form of payment, instead AA gives you a voucher/credit for future travel on AA. I agree that it is a bit of a pain, but that's how AA does it. There are other choices out there, just remember that. I also agree that AA does stand to win some when people forget to redeem vouchers, or let them expire.
AA does REFUNDS to original form of payment. I have many times cancelled and refunded to my credit card. The difference is for residual value to voluntary changes to a ticket. AA has decided to make it difficult to redeem so that when they expire they can realize the revenue.

But let's be very clear here, AA absolutely refunds cancelled tickets to original form of payment and has for some time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.