Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Didn't realise schedule change left me with short connection, missed my onward flight

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Didn't realise schedule change left me with short connection, missed my onward flight

Search this Thread

Old May 1, 2017, 9:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
I agree with the poster(s) upthread who said that the specific change should be pointed out in the email. I have a 16 segment DONE4 in July booked through AA. I just received notification of a change by email with my new itinerary, but so far, I have no idea what the difference is.
Old May 1, 2017, 9:44 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, Jiffypark Manhattan Gold
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
I agree with the poster(s) upthread who said that the specific change should be pointed out in the email. I have a 16 segment DONE4 in July booked through AA. I just received notification of a change by email with my new itinerary, but so far, I have no idea what the difference is.
Haha, omg, I can't say I fly AA much, but I get these emails from Air Canada and they break the whole thing down for you "here's your previous itinerary, here's the new one etc".

I dunno what the threshold is for sending this stuff out, but I routinely get them for changes of 5 minutes. I had a booking that was like 8-10 months in advance, must've been changed 15 times. 5 mins here, 10 mins there, flight number change, equipment change. Got the damn email every time!
Old May 1, 2017, 9:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by spartacus
You mean Delta isn't the only one who changes schedules on the fly on a regular basis? At least DL sends you an e-mail when they do this. Still stinks. I would still probably allow more transfer time at the hub, just in case. Sorry you had to deal with this.
They also show what the chabges are online in the reservation.
Old May 1, 2017, 10:29 pm

Programs: DL DM, AA EXP, various hotel
Originally Posted by Often1
Yes, if I were writing the logic behind the algorithm, I would not have the auto-rebook make a change in the ticket if the schedule change did not bring the connection time below MCT.

It is up to the passenger to determine Sensible Connection Time (SCT) and to determine whether it is more inconvenient to leave earlier from IAH or to run the risk of misconnecting at DFW and suffering an eight-hour enroute delay.

Those of us with tight schedules have to make these judgments all the time. I might have booked the connection which was auto-rebooked for OP if I had an important meeting in Houston and could not simply change it on a whim, but did not mind being late if I misconnected.

On the other hand, I might have been able to leave earlier from IAH because I needed the cushion if my meetings in Europe were time-sensitive and an 8-hour delay problematic.

That is all on me and I don't expect AA personnel or algorithms to know the answer. My answer might be different from trip to trip.
Exactly. Which is why the poster you're quoting suggested that the algorithm keep your schedule as close as possible to the schedule you originally booked. What part of what he wrote do you disagree with?
Old May 1, 2017, 11:41 pm

Programs: AAdvantage (Platinum)
Unfortunately with AA one must not only be proactive about monitoring schedule changes but also be proactive in researching alternative flights in case there's a delay/diversion/cancellation at any connecting city. AAgents seem to have to manually check flight options, and when flying to europe they tend to only want to route people through LHR.
Old May 7, 2017, 7:42 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum; Amex Plat; Four Seasons; Fairmont; HH; etc.; "Retirees-In-Training"
Originally Posted by Austin787
In my experience, notification emails are hit or miss - not just AA but other airlines too. I check my reservations every 2 weeks to verify everything looks ok. I make it my responsibility to ensure my travels go smoothly.

Once, on a YVR-PHX-AUS booking I had a flight change (which I found by checking my reservation, no email) that resulted in YVR-PHX arriving PHX after PHX-AUS departed - a misconnect. I called reservations to change to a schedule that worked.
We recently had this happen for flights later this month.
While doing a regular "check" on our flights, I noticed that our connection to JFK, which had about 1.5 hr connection, was now scheduled for about the same time different, but... this time the flight to JFK was going to arrive about 1.5 hours *after* our flight to Asia was scheduled to depart.

Neither of us received any update about any change.

We had e-tix, made thought AA International Awards, so we know they had e-addresses for us...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.