Paying Cash for Drinks on Planes

Old Apr 30, 17, 10:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Mileage Plus
Paying Cash for Drinks on Planes

Today on an early AM flight from DSM to DFW the individual in the window seat ordered a beer. I was on the aisle seat. The FA attendant told him they dont take cash. He said he had no credit card. He had opened the beer. It would have been interesting what they would have done. I bailed him out by paying for it. Once we got in the terminal he gave me the 7 bucks. Obviously he doesnt travel often

Its been several years since cash was accepted on any US flight I have been on. Have seen it on foreign carriers.

Does anyone remember when cabins became cashless.
Old Apr 30, 17, 10:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Platinum, HH Gold
Cashless onboard sales have existed for quite a while on mainline AA.

I'm betting what you did is what typically happens. The FAs just ask a nearby passenger to swipe his/her card, and then the cardless person hands the cash to the good samaritan. The best part is that the good samaritan earns points for it!

Last edited by ESpen36; Apr 30, 17 at 10:23 pm
Old Apr 30, 17, 10:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond
I may be confusing with DL Connection, but i thought American Eagle flights only took cash. At least on the last one I was one that is what they announced.
Old Apr 30, 17, 10:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: The Airline Run by Doug P
Originally Posted by flyerCO View Post
I may be confusing with DL Connection, but i thought American Eagle flights only took cash. At least on the last one I was one that is what they announced.
Yep! No cards accepted. Cash only.
Old Apr 30, 17, 10:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Platinum, HH Gold
Originally Posted by flyerCO View Post
I'm not entirely sure, but perhaps you might be thinking of the carriers that d.b.a. "American Eagle" but actually are different carriers like Piedmont and PSA....?

(and of course, Envoy is the new name for MQ)
Old Apr 30, 17, 10:24 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Bonvoy Titanum, Hilton Gold
I hate cash only flights... I just don't want to deal with the change, especially dirty dollar bills and coins right before I eat.
Old Apr 30, 17, 10:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by ESpen36 View Post
I'm not entirely sure, but perhaps you might be thinking of the carriers that d.b.a. "American Eagle" but actually are different carriers like Piedmont and PSA....?

(and of course, Envoy is the new name for MQ)
Right, but they follow whatever policy the contracted airline tells them. On DL Connection carriers, flights with a FC cabin take credit cards. Planes without one are cash only. The actual regional flying doesnt matter. They simply follow DL instructions. AFAIK American Eagle carriers are all cash only in my limited experience.
Old Apr 30, 17, 10:48 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by leiserom View Post
Its been several years since cash was accepted on any US flight I have been on. Have seen it on foreign carriers.

Does anyone remember when cabins became cashless.
As mentioned, it's been a while...back in 2010: http://news.aa.com/press-releases/pr...s/default.aspx
Old Apr 30, 17, 11:39 pm
nrr

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by ESpen36 View Post
Cashless onboard sales have existed for quite a while on mainline AA.

I'm betting what you did is what typically happens. The FAs just ask a nearby passenger to swipe his/her card, and then the cardless person hands the cash to the good samaritan. The best part is that the good samaritan earns points for it!
For a $7 beer, the points I would earn would be "gigantic"
It's nice to be a good Samaritan, but if they refuse to pay (nasty people DO exist), YOU are stuck for the tab.
Old May 1, 17, 12:26 am
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by enviroian View Post
Yep! No cards accepted. Cash only.
Confirmed cash only my recent AE flights. DL somehow figured out how to get sales devices on to 2 class RJ's eons ago.....AA can't or doesn't care.
Old May 1, 17, 1:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by AANYC1981 View Post
Confirmed cash only my recent AE flights. DL somehow figured out how to get sales devices on to 2 class RJ's eons ago.....AA can't or doesn't care.
They dont even put ovens on their RJs so not suprised.
Old May 1, 17, 1:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by nrr View Post
For a $7 beer, the points I would earn would be "gigantic"
It's nice to be a good Samaritan, but if they refuse to pay (nasty people DO exist), YOU are stuck for the tab.
Why would you let your credit card be swiped before you had received the cash from the other passenger?
Old May 1, 17, 3:04 am

Programs: BA Gold (OWE), Star Alliance Gold, Hilton Diamond
Who doesn't have any debit or credit cards these days?
Old May 1, 17, 4:03 am
nrr

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by guv1976 View Post
Why would you let your credit card be swiped before you had received the cash from the other passenger?
OP notes: "Once we got to the terminal he gave me the cash", that he didn't get cash up front before allowing card to be swiped was ???
[One possibility, the pax had a $100 bill say. OP couldn't make change on the plane, so had to wait to get to the terminal.]

Last edited by nrr; May 1, 17 at 4:08 am
Old May 1, 17, 5:15 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Mileage Plus
Well I went to Iowa. The guy was wearing a bunch of Iowa gear. A fellow Hawkeye I figured he was good for it. His wallet was in his bag in overhead on a full flight. Lot of trouble to get to. Now if he had stiffed me I would have made some comment like "I guess your integrity is worth 7 bucks". 7 wouldnt have killed me. Hey I got 7 miles on United. Every mile counts.

What kills me is how anyone can travel without a credit card. Hard to rent a car or check into a hotel. A young guy who used to work for me(he was subsequently laid off in a cutback) checked into a hotel for a conference with a debit card. He was a recent graduate and had a low limit credit card that was maxed out. I told him not to do that anymore as they would put a hold on his card and once we got home it would take a week or two for him to be reimbursed. Just inexperience thats all.
MisterTanaka likes this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: