Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Reimbursement for Diverted Flight

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30, 2017, 3:18 pm
Original Poster

Question Reimbursement for Diverted Flight

I was recently on a diverted afternoon flight. Ended up being stuck overnight because they couldn't find a replacement crew and we were given a hotel room. I didn't pack for an overnight stay so was forced to buy some clothes and necessities from the airport mall. What is the likelihood of getting reimbursed and how would I go about it? AA Plat line wasn't really helpful.
Old Apr 30, 2017, 3:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by brxtoday
I was recently on a diverted afternoon flight. Ended up being stuck overnight because they couldn't find a replacement crew and we were given a hotel room. I didn't pack for an overnight stay so was forced to buy some clothes and necessities from the airport mall. What is the likelihood of getting reimbursed and how would I go about it? AA Plat line wasn't really helpful.
Did you get to your original planned destination?

Does your CC have travel interruption coverage?
Old Apr 30, 2017, 3:27 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
What was the reason for the diversion? I'd say if mechanical you might have a good shot. If for weather or ATC you should probably be lucky AA paid for a hotel room.
Old Apr 30, 2017, 3:33 pm
Suspended

In these cases I usually 1st clear it with whomever before I go and buy anything to 1st make sure they will reimburse me and to what amount. I also ask that they make a note on my PNR about it in case it hits the fan afterwards.

On a recent Outbound Intl flight my connecting carrier left 1 of bags behind (as well as several dz from others also connecting from other carriers), I asked and they checked and said the bag was at XXX (connecting airport) and will be on the night flight and thusly anything I purchase will be on my dime. Thats why I always ask before assuming I will be reimbursed

If you arent getting love from AA did the CC used to purchase the tkt have benefits that kick in under flight ins or whatever they call it, a number of CCs have this
Old Apr 30, 2017, 4:28 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
AA's contract expressly excludes consequential damages, so the answer is that you are not entitled to reimbursement.

That said, you might seek a customer service gesture here. Presuming that the purchases were reasonable, such as a change of underwear, you might see a small voucher in roughly that amount.

As an example, if this were a situation where AA delayed your bags overnight and you had to purchase necessities, you could expect to see $25-40, but as others note that would be pre-authorized.

Put another way, what would you have done had AA said, in advance, "no"?

You will find that this is all a lot better covered through travel interruption insurance.
Old Apr 30, 2017, 4:44 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by enviroian
Did you get to your original planned destination?

Does your CC have travel interruption coverage?
I did get to my final destination but it was on the following day, hence the change of clothes.

I booked it on my AMEX Plat. I should have gone with the Citi Prestige on this one.
Old Apr 30, 2017, 4:49 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
What was the reason for the diversion? I'd say if mechanical you might have a good shot. If for weather or ATC you should probably be lucky AA paid for a hotel room.
I never got a straight answer on why the diversion happened. Pilot didn't really explain it, Admirals Club didn't have a clue, gate agents were surprised we showed up, and the AA Plat line doesn't know now. There was talk of a fuel issue. The reason why I did end up being stranded overnight is because the original crew went over their hours and they couldn't find a replacement crew to come through once the plane had been refueled.
Old Apr 30, 2017, 4:53 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Often1
AA's contract expressly excludes consequential damages, so the answer is that you are not entitled to reimbursement.

That said, you might seek a customer service gesture here. Presuming that the purchases were reasonable, such as a change of underwear, you might see a small voucher in roughly that amount.

As an example, if this were a situation where AA delayed your bags overnight and you had to purchase necessities, you could expect to see $25-40, but as others note that would be pre-authorized.

Put another way, what would you have done had AA said, in advance, "no"?

You will find that this is all a lot better covered through travel interruption insurance.
I had a sense that we would be stuck overnight the moment we got diverted and I asked the Admirals Club folks about this very situation. They wouldn't give me an answer because they kept on saying that the flight would take off the same night, which of course it didn't. The final cancellation came after the Admirals Club had closed and I guess the gate agents had left the scene by the time we got there. It was horribly managed. The airline shops were starting to shut down so we just decided to buy stuff for the night first before going to the customer service desk. And the customer service desk just gave us hotel vouchers and told us to contact AA afterwards for reimbursements. Just seemed like everyone was passing the buck and left us in the dark.
Old Apr 30, 2017, 5:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Without knowing the reason for the diversion, it is a bit difficult to guess what you are entitled to. If you could provide the date, city pairs (and maybe the city diverted to), and flight number, sobody here might be able to find the reason.

As someone indicated, if weather or other ATC related, you are not really entitled to anything. If mechanical or lack of crew, you might be entitled to something. If flying from the EU, you might be entitled to more..
Old Apr 30, 2017, 5:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
Nothing lucky about it:

From AA's C of C:

"In extreme circumstances, it is possible that a flight will cancel while on the ground in the city to which it was diverted. When this happens you will be rerouted on the next American flight with available seats, or in some circumstances on another airline or some other alternative means of transportation. If we are unable to reroute you, reasonable overnight accommodations will be provided by American, subject to availability."
Old Apr 30, 2017, 5:45 pm
Suspended

Programs: Enrich Sapphire. Kris Flyer Silver.Le Club Accorhotels,Starwood.
Originally Posted by guv1976
Nothing lucky about it:

From AA's C of C:

"In extreme circumstances, it is possible that a flight will cancel while on the ground in the city to which it was diverted. When this happens you will be rerouted on the next American flight with available seats, or in some circumstances on another airline or some other alternative means of transportation. If we are unable to reroute you, reasonable overnight accommodations will be provided by American, subject to availability."
Think they are only obligated to provide a bed and perhaps meals.

As far as anything else, either you have travel insurance and buy what you need and claim for it later or you take it as an unfortunate situation and buy what you need to get you through the night (toothbrush`/toothpaste/mouth wash/underwear).

That's the risk you take flying on any airline when there is a weather related or mechanical disruption
Old Apr 30, 2017, 5:49 pm
Original Poster

AA2172 on 4/21. BOS -> LGA, diverted to PHL
Old Apr 30, 2017, 6:03 pm

Programs: none
The airline certainly knows why the flight diverted. After all, they are the ones who did it. They may have not given you the whole story, though.

Proceed as is it were their responsibility.
Old Apr 30, 2017, 6:07 pm

Programs: DL,EK
AA2172 on 4/21. BOS -> LGA, diverted to PHL
I would have gotten a train and been home the same night. When I first read this I just assumed you were a very long way from home. Of course I live out west where we'll drive 80 miles and think it is right down the road.
Old Apr 30, 2017, 6:16 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DesertNomad
I would have gotten a train and been home the same night. When I first read this I just assumed you were a very long way from home. Of course I live out west where we'll drive 80 miles and think it is right down the road.
Car rentals were $300 for a one way drop off and last minute Amtrak fares weren't far behind. AA also wouldn't commit to paying for our Amtrak fare. It was a mix of stubbornness and getting tired of traveling for the day. After all, why should I pay out of pocket to get myself home twice?

Last edited by brxtoday; Apr 30, 2017 at 6:24 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.