Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA buys two new LHR slot pairs from SAS for $75M

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA buys two new LHR slot pairs from SAS for $75M

Search this Thread

Old Apr 28, 2017, 12:24 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by Microwave
I'll grant you the 77W (for the moment), but the 772? Eek. And just for the sake of completeness, 763s (ehh), 788s (eek^2) and 333s (meh) still get regular use here, and 332s aren't an unusual sight either.
Completeness? Which 772s, Zodiac or / and BE Aerospace seats?

Most of us believe the 787-8 J is better than BA CW even without the stabilizers added to the Zodiac seats, and that the 787-9 BE Aerospace seats are better than BA CW. (I'd argue the 763 horizontal flat all aisle access seat is better than the BA weight bench plus ottoman awkward aisle access seats.)
Old Apr 28, 2017, 1:53 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
Originally Posted by JDiver
Completeness? Which 772s, Zodiac or / and BE Aerospace seats?
Ha! Fair point. I was referring to Concept D—I've not encountered an AA Super Diamond in the wild yet.

Most of us believe the 787-8 J is better than BA CW even without the stabilizers added to the Zodiac seats
And I would disagree with most of you then. I truly despise the Concept D seats, and book around them whenever possible. I'll take NGNCW over Concept D seven days a week and twice on a Sunday.

the 787-9 BE Aerospace seats are better than BA CW. (I'd argue the 763 horizontal flat all aisle access seat is better than the BA weight bench plus ottoman awkward aisle access seats.)
Maybe the 789 seats are good, but they're not flown to LHR at the moment, and the point to which I was replying is business between the US and LHR, not just AA vs BA. BA are worse than many airlines from LHR.

My point, for whatever it's worth, is that I would cede AA's 77W hard product is tops from LHR to the US—I'll amend that to say that the Super Diamonds may also be as good (though unless the 789 gets scheduled out of LHR then it'll be a crap shoot between Super Diamond and Concept D, which is a risk I'll avoid if I can)—though aside from that I'll say that there are other products better than AA to London. DL's 763 may be narrow, but I'd rather that than any AA product other than the 77W (caveat for Super Diamond). I've not flown Polaris yet, but I've heard that it's a bit cramped but otherwise private and comfortable, which compared to Concept D or AA's IFE-less Vantage sounds like a winner to me.

Everyone values things differently, and certainly AA are back in the mix whereas they were behind DL, UA, VS, BA, etc. etc. for years, I just don't think they are streets ahead of anyone outside of the 77W (and possibly Super Diamond).
Old Apr 28, 2017, 4:13 am

Programs: BA, AA, SQ, UA, AC, WS, MR TIT
Originally Posted by jmj9905
Who fly's AA intenational to LHR anyway?
I do at the moment AA J hard product to LHR is much superior to BA CW hard product.
Old Apr 28, 2017, 4:42 am

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
Originally Posted by jmj9905
Who fly's AA intenational to LHR anyway?
I do. I think that their newer hard product is superior to CW and that their F/As have been very friendly so far. Moreover, I have sometimes European connections leaving from T3 which is another argument for AA.

Finally, in some cases I have recommended F&F that can't make up their mind between both candidates and don't hold OW status to fly on AA as AA (currently) doesn't charge for seat reservations in C whereas BA charges their C passenger quite handsomely.

Originally Posted by YtravelF
I think the fact that BA added a second flight out of PHX 3x/week this summer should be taken as a sign that PHX is certainly in the running for a new flight.
The question is if they are going to keep it for the winter months. I would imagine that the flights to LAX, SFO, LAS and PHX sell rather well during the summer months.
Old Apr 28, 2017, 6:10 am

Programs: MAR AMB, WOH Explorist, AA EXP, UA 2P
Originally Posted by muishkin
What do you mean? This is an AA forum with AA frequent flyers. You don't think people in here fly AA to London? FYI AA has some of the best J products in the US-London market.
I feel like an emoji may have been left out of the OP's post, but I may be wrong...
Old Apr 28, 2017, 7:43 am

Programs: AA EXP, IHG PLT, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Amtrak, WN
It looks like LIT-LHR is finally coming to fruition. So glad to hear that it will be offered twice daily!

This must be why AA special-ordered the A380. Hopefully FL construction is well-underway.
Old Apr 28, 2017, 7:52 am
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
Originally Posted by TheSkyGuy
So to add a widebody out of PHX, crew would need to be deadheaded in from CLT/PHL or PHX would need all of their FAs trained on the widebody.
They have 3 years to solve it

But seriously - AA paid now for merchandise that will be delivered in 3 years. Sounds like SK made a good deal...
Old Apr 28, 2017, 7:56 am
Suspended
Original Poster

UA wanted these very badly.
Old Apr 28, 2017, 7:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by brewdog11
It looks like LIT-LHR is finally coming to fruition. So glad to hear that it will be offered twice daily!

This must be why AA special-ordered the A380. Hopefully FL construction is well-underway.
So THAT'S what they are constructing at LIT!
Old Apr 28, 2017, 8:02 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by TPJ
But seriously - AA paid now for merchandise that will be delivered in 3 years. Sounds like SK made a good deal...
No doubt there was some trade-off between cost and time of transfer. $75M for two LHR slots seems pretty cheap in the scheme of things. Maybe it was a BOGO deal
Old Apr 28, 2017, 8:19 am

Programs: AAdvantage EXP, IHG Spire, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by TheSkyGuy
One issue with PHX, and the LUS side of the operation, is the FAs are only qualified on the aircraft that base flies. LAA, FAs are qualified on the whole fleet. So to add a widebody out of PHX, crew would need to be deadheaded in from CLT/PHL or PHX would need all of their FAs trained on the widebody.
Nope. Keep in mind an A330 shows up in Phoenix for Hawaii, which has to come from somewhere. My assumption is that it comes from CLT on a turn. So AA could also fund the crews for PHX similarly, with the crew rotating CLT-PHX the day before, and then go into CLT direct from LHR, with the LHR-PHX crew being funded in reverse.

There are many instances of aircraft operating out of a hub with no base for said aircraft.
Old Apr 28, 2017, 8:39 am

Programs: AAdvantage Former EXP/Current PLT / Total Rewards - Diamond / Hilton HHonors - Gold
Originally Posted by JonNYC
UA wanted these very badly.
But they couldn't afford them due to "undisclosed settlement amounts," right?

Old Apr 28, 2017, 8:54 am

Programs: AA EXP, 1MM
This does not necessarily mean that there will be additional flights between LHR and USA. There are lots of possible scenarios, but one example might be that AA operates an additional LHR-JFK rotation and BA drops a LHR-JFK rotation and uses the free slot to operate a different route to anywhere.
Old Apr 28, 2017, 9:18 am

Programs: AA Plat; UA.
Originally Posted by no2chem
Seriously? AA has the best hard product to LHR from the US for sure with the 77W and 772 retrofits, which I believe are all that fly into LHR these days. And I think the soft product is better than BA/VS/DL/UA and whoever else has flights between US and LHR.
AA indeed has the best hard product between LHR and the US.
Old Apr 28, 2017, 9:44 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL DM, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by imapilotaz
Nope. Keep in mind an A330 shows up in Phoenix for Hawaii, which has to come from somewhere. My assumption is that it comes from CLT on a turn. So AA could also fund the crews for PHX similarly, with the crew rotating CLT-PHX the day before, and then go into CLT direct from LHR, with the LHR-PHX crew being funded in reverse.

There are many instances of aircraft operating out of a hub with no base for said aircraft.
or similarly but different, there are plenty of examples where a crew might fly CTL-LHR (layover) LHR-PHX (layover) PHX-LHR (layover) LHR-CLT (insert whatever crew base you want for CLT instead!)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.