Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Better service in first class - upgrades vs paid fare

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27, 2017, 6:17 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, GlobalEntry, Admirals Club, United Club

Has anyone noticed a difference in how AA FAs treat people who are upgraded into first vs people who paid for their tickets? Does the flight manifest show this information? I sat next to someone the other day and the FA was being very attentive to him (my service was perfectly fine so absolutely no complaints) and was just curious what sort of information they have.
Old Apr 27, 2017, 6:28 am

Programs: AA EXPLT
This can't be serious.

FA's will sometimes acknowledge CK's or ExecPlt's differently. It has nothing to do with paid v upgraded.
Old Apr 27, 2017, 6:53 am

Programs: American Airlines Platinum, National Executive
I've done plenty of paid first class seats and also have done plenty of Platinum upgrades and have never noticed a difference in the service.
Old Apr 27, 2017, 6:57 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
I've been flying AA well over sixty years and have been AAdvantage elite of some kind since 1986. I've not noticed any differences in FA treatment once my posterior is in a J or F seat regardless of how it got there, upgrade instrument, op up or money. Yes, the manifest will show the information you ask about.

I have noticed some passengers being treated with greater deference or greater degrees of attentiveness. These have often been VIPs or celebrities, very frequent or recognized fliers, or similar categories (such as the chap with a lifetime AirPass in the F cabin with his father in F one FRA-DFW flight - he flew DFW-FRA-ZRH with his father at least twice monthly, as well as on many other flights.

Last edited by JDiver; Apr 27, 2017 at 7:04 am Reason: Add link
Old Apr 27, 2017, 7:03 am

I would say service is equally bad no matter if it is upgrade or paid fare haha.
The person sitting next to you might be a CK or EXP, who knows.
Old Apr 27, 2017, 8:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I get treated better on D fares than on I fares, so maybe.

Just kidding.
Old Apr 27, 2017, 8:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
The U.S. legacy carriers have long used flight manifests displaying frequent flyer status. I don't have JDiver's length of experience but my question to a Delta FA about the meaning of the code goes back at least 25 years. She sent back the purser who gave me an answer in a lovely Georgia accent: It means you're special to the Delta family.

IIRC, United used (still uses?) paid fares vs. awards to determine meal preference when all first choices aren't available. IME, AA and DL have not copied that. You're up front but you're still really a peasant is not a good philosophy nor expression (by action) to premium cabin passengers.

Last edited by 3Cforme; Apr 27, 2017 at 10:34 am
Old Apr 27, 2017, 9:10 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, AA PP
In F I've never gotten any special service or recognition. When I was a US CP and failed to get an upgrade or lost it due to changing to an earlier flight and was in economy I would sometimes be recognized by a FA who knew my status and asked if I wanted a complimentary cocktail from F or in one case she brought some of those Immaculata cookies with a glass of wine--without my asking.
Old Apr 27, 2017, 9:11 am

Programs: PA FT, TW Gold, NW/CO PE, VK Eagleflyer
Originally Posted by NYCommuter
I've done plenty of paid first class seats and also have done plenty of Platinum upgrades and have never noticed a difference in the service.
Ditto; it's mostly good, occasionally a miss, but it didn't seem dependent on how I got into the seat.
Old Apr 27, 2017, 9:52 am

Programs: BA, AA, SQ, UA, AC, WS, MR TIT
Whenever I fly as a BA gold card holder I fell I get better treatment than when flying as AA EXP. Just a personal feeling.
Old Apr 27, 2017, 9:57 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Before the AA-US merger, when I flew PHL/CLT to Europe in Envoy, the FA usually went about the cabin asking people their menu choices in odd orders... It seemed that they started with paid fares, then CP upgrades, then miles+$$, then whoever else was left.

I saw the same a few times on domestic US flights, mostly between PHX and PHL.

Other than meal choices, I haven't seen any difference.
Old Apr 27, 2017, 10:17 am

Programs: AA Platinum Pro
Decades now of flying AA in F and Y. I have noticed no overt difference in FA's service/interaction based on my current status, upgrade, points or paid fare. I have though, noticed more positive, attentive service when there has been a brief friendly, personal interaction/conversation with an FA. I'm an extrovert and work in a public relations capacity so I feel comfortable chatting with strangers. (No, I'm not the guy that talks to my seat mate unsolicited.) But, I found many times a kind word or compliment to an FA often goes a long way to enhance my on board experience. A simple please and thank you does a lot. imho.
Old Apr 27, 2017, 10:22 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Most FAs know very little of the upgrade process, how elites qualify and why and how people are sitting up front. Their overriding concerns other than hopefully providing excellent service are bidding for trips, the hotel they will be overnighting and getting certain days off
Old Apr 27, 2017, 11:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
The old US Airways before Parker took over was excellent recognizing Chairman's Preferred members.
Old Apr 27, 2017, 11:28 am

Programs: AA LT Gold
Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
Most FAs know very little of the upgrade process, how elites qualify and why and how people are sitting up front. Their overriding concerns other than hopefully providing excellent service are bidding for trips, the hotel they will be overnighting and getting certain days off
^
And even if a curious FA knew the process and the codes and everything, he/she sees hundreds of passengers everyday and on a given flight there can be an upgraded person due to irrops, an EXP on comp grade, an EXP with paid F, a PLAT on irrops, a self upgrader..geez...so many types of pax, who would want to keep truck of so much stuff?

Oh wait, I smiled at 2A, was I supposed to smile at 2B? did I offer an extra pour of wine to 3B? should I have poured 3c? such a complication.

Would even the union allow it as it would be too much burden for the FA to keep track of all these things?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.