Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Going to OSA/NGO and SHA in the fall, what's the best route for award travel?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26, 2017, 12:57 pm
koi
Original Poster

I'm planning on going to Asia in the fall, and was thinking about using my miles. Basically I want to fly to NGO/OSA spend couple weeks there, and then fly to SHA and spend couple days there as well.

In the past, I believe I was able to use layover to book a trip to SHA "through OSA or NGO" and use only 1 award travel. Is this still possible? what would be the most cost-effective approach.
I have enough miles for 2 award travel (business/economy), but I don't want to be wasting it if I don't have to.

Originating airport is YYZ

Last edited by koi; Apr 26, 2017 at 1:05 pm
Old Apr 26, 2017, 1:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
No stopovers anymore on AA award travel. XXX-NGO is one award; NGO-SHA is a 2nd; SHA-XXX is a 3rd.

The best routing is the one that has low miles availability in the cabin you want on the dates you want to travel.

You haven't specified an originating airport.

Last edited by 3Cforme; Apr 26, 2017 at 1:12 pm
Old Apr 26, 2017, 1:07 pm
koi
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 3Cforme
No stopovers anymore on Delta award travel. XXX-NGO is one award; NGO-SHA is a 2nd; SHA-XXX is a 3rd.

The best routing is the one that has low miles availability in the cabin you want on the dates you want to travel.

You haven't specified an originating airport.
Oh so, it's prob better for me to use LCC on NGO-SHA then? No loopholes?
Forgot about the originating airport, it's YYZ. I've included in the post
Old Apr 26, 2017, 1:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
I corrected the carrier in my post. No stopovers on AA, either. If you continue from NGO in not more than 24 hours it's considered a connection, not a stopover.

The key for your search is that aa.com doesn't show award inventory for either Cathay Pacific nor JAL, so you're going to have to call to book.

Check AA's partner award chart for mileage cost for JAL NGO-SHA. You may prefer another award redemption to spending cash with an LCC.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.